jcfreakdavid

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
From the city where our school is located to the hospital where they schedule our family rotations is about a two hour drive with traffic and about 3 dollars in unavoidable tolls. Does anyone know if there are some sort of guidelines I can present to the admin?

redpanda

Fellow-lol
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Unfortunately, no, but the $3 in tolls is pittling compared to the amount you would be dropping on gas to drive four hours a day. Time to find a cheap crash pad over there for the month?

CaptainSSO

7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2010
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
I would go for an extended-stay hotel...

Reactions: TeddyBoomBoom

Kaustikos

Archerize It
10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Always Bespin
If those hospitals have residents/interns, then I'd contact them asap about living situation recommendations. Especially if they've done what you've done. Or contact med students who've done the same as you. My school offers free housing if you go to satellite locations as a requirement... sure it's almost like a dorm, but it beats having to live in a hotel/dump.

edit - I would also contact the hospitals to see if they offer housing for staff. Again, the hospital where I did my family medicine rotation offered this service not only to students but faculty working at these hospitals.

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
That's really strange. My school provided free housing as well when we did a non elective "out rotation" at another hospital.
When I did the required rural medicine month, the rural hospital put me up in a house they owned next to the hospital and stocked it with about $200 worth of food and 2 bottles of wine. A pino and a chard. Nice folks. It was a huge remodeled farm house on a working cow farm.
I had to do some other random thing in the boonies for 2 weeks. That sucked as I was living with the physician, and they were "unusual" and had a fairly small house. I drove there Monday AM and would leave Friday afternoon to drive a couple hours home. I was not weekending with the locals, that's for damned sure.

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
From the city where our school is located to the hospital where they schedule our family rotations is about a two hour drive with traffic and about 3 dollars in unavoidable tolls. Does anyone know if there are some sort of guidelines I can present to the admin?
Housing should be provided if its a required school site. If there is any hospital work where you have to be there at some ungodly hour you do not want to be driving that every day. It's just not practical.