Family Shelf Urgent Help Needed!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scotties123

GrandMacDaddy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my shelf exam for family medicine in a couple days and my school is one of 11 or 12 other schools that use the Essentials of Family Medicine textbook as the primary source for the exam. Apparently the exam is based solely on the information in this book. I was wondering if anyone has taken this exam before or is going to take it and has any information regarding the type of information it covers and to what depth? Were the practice questions on the book's website a good approximation?

HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Members don't see this ad.

I too suffered through this absolutely horrible text.

Tips:

Memorize the decision trees and tables.

Remember what the BOOK says is the correct answer. Completely disregard all practical knowledge you have learned in the clinic or on the floors.

You will be tested on obscure points. We were even tested on recommended dosing for different antibiotics. Do you want to treat the ear infection for 5 days or 7 days?

For each common complaint know the most SENSITIVE and SPECIFIC finding. Seriously, memorize this.

Don't spend too much time on psych or OB.

Best of luck to you!

Oh, and remember for the rest of medical school that this book is horrible, be very weary of suggesting anything you have learned in this book in a clinical setting.

Hey do you rememberf theres any epidemiology on this exam?