Family therapy - reading recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kr862313

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm going into my 3rd year at Indiana University of PA and will be starting an external practicum in the fall in which I'll be working with a general population (families included).

I have taken a class on family therapy and have a textbook that briefly describes each of the different methods (e.g., structural, strategic, experiential, etc.) but doesn't go into much depth. I have done intake sessions with families but not formal family therapy.

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for books/treatment manuals/articles that can help prepare me for doing family therapy? What approach do most use nowadays? I liked learning about experiential (and the little bit that was included about Satir), but my professor seemed negative about it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not much of a resource, as I similarly have minimal clinical experience working with families (solely intakes thus far), and I'm in my first family therapy course at the moment. However, I really enjoyed Minuchin's Family Therapy Techniques book. It's not very new (1970s/80s), but it's a great read with many case examples and various techniques. Plus he's one of the pioneers in the field.

Thanks. I'll definitely look into that. I knew he was a pioneer, just wasn't sure if he was still used.

Members don't see this ad :)
If Satir resonated with you I'm not sure how much you'd enjoy orthodox structural. It is a highly directive modernist approach. At the same time, I think structural provides the clearest framework for conceptualizing familial relationships (boundaries, subsystems, hierarchy, etc.). I'd definitely read Minuchin's book "Family Therapy Techniques" and remember that he mellowed out quite a bit in later life. Tracking down videos of his later work may be beneficial.

I love bowen family systems theory. the Kerr and Bowen is a classic, and i really enjoyed re-visioning family therapy