Family vs Medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macpappy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional student with a wife and family. I would like to ask all students who are currently in DO school. On average, how much time each day to you get to spend with your wife/significant other/etc. How much time each day during your 1st year, 2nd, 3rd and 4th year and also residency. What about weekends? How much time do you get to spend on Saturday and Sunday. I am weighing all my options and wondering if I could balance family life with medical school. Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

now i am single and do not plan on a family for quite some time but i have two fo my best friends who just got married and one of them started residency. here r my thoughts based on their experiance

he is doing psychiatry residency. they lived togather during his med school. if u have a family, esp with kids, you have 2 balance them with your studies. that means not gunning for the A's and being happy with C's and B's. also if u want a content family pick one of the non hectic jobs. i mean pick something that is not surgery, EM, and so on.

the 80 hour law in residency helps, but don't be fooled by it bacause my friend(the girl) thought her husband will only work for 60 hours cause it was in his contract. yea right. he is barely home and when he is. he is too tired to do anything but sleep.

basically it can me done but u have 2 sacrifice grades for time 2 spend with family and u have 2 pick a low end residency(time wise) so u actually are there 4 your family.
GOOD LUCK, many DO's have families, u can 2

I was married when I entered LECOM 2 years ago. From my perspective, I couldn't imagine doing this without my husband. You have fantastic emotional support and a person who can keep you grounded when life seems a bit out of control. Most of my friends, both married and single, agree that it's easier to be married in med school than it is to be single.

Quite honestly, there are days when I don't have as much time as I would like to spend with him, but I try to make a conscious effort to close my books and spend an hour or two each day with him. I am in the PBL program at our school, so I have a lot more flexibility in my schedule than people in the lecture program. I attend classes about 8 hours a week. The rest of the time, I am at home studying on my couch.

The bottom line is that med school and family can be done and done well. It just takes time management and understanding from both partners.

Good luck!