Famous Neurosurgeons to Train with

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guga282

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who are the living, non-retired most famous neurosurgeons to train with? Nay who are the most famous neurosurgeons period? Doesn't matter which subspeciality, name them all! For example, I know the most well known ortho spine surgeon to train with is Henry Bohlman (if you get that fellowship, you are set). Please, this is out of pure curiosity, and maybe a little bit I want to see who/what the best is like.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lawrence Marshall at UCSD if you're a trauma guy.

do you have any other your favourite articles about neurosurgeons?:)

It's a shame that modesty is not one of his qualities, given the apparent talent.
And why does the media always find NSGY so sexy?

M. Gazi Yasargil and Ossama Al-Mefty at UAMS

Members don't see this ad :)
Who are the living, non-retired most famous neurosurgeons to train with?

Edward R. Laws, Jr., M.D. at Stanford. A living legend in the field of NS. Former President of the American College of Surgeons. Former President of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons. Not only a truly brilliant and immensely talented and experienced neurosurgeon but a very kind and modest man. Do a google search for "Lord of the Sella" as he is also known. He himself was trained by none other than Earl Walker at Johns Hopkins.

Edward R. Laws, Jr., M.D. at Stanford. A living legend in the field of NS. Former President of the American College of Surgeons. Former President of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons. Not only a truly brilliant and immensely talented and experienced neurosurgeon but a very kind and modest man. Do a google search for "Lord of the Sella" as he is also known. He himself was trained by none other than Earl Walker at Johns Hopkins.

Duke Samson if you're into aneurysms and AVM's.

Boop at UT-Memphis / Semmes-Murphey for peds.

I am going to nominate Dr. Fessler at U Chicago

Fukushima gets my vote as well. We have him at our hospital alot since his headquarters are nearby and he has an excellent success rate.

Since you mention Stanford...does anybody here has heard something about Dr. Hun or Huhn, cloud be Hunh too...I don't remember how it spelled, nor his first name...he did surgery on my little brother with Chiary Syndrome.

Since you mention Stanford...does anybody here has heard something about Dr. Hun or Huhn, cloud be Hunh too...I don't remember how it spelled, nor his first name...he did surgery on my little brother with Chiary Syndrome.

Nope but I thought it was Chiari syndrome not chiary...

Prof.benzel The Best Spine Surgeon
Prof.samii Brain Surgery

I am very curious about this matter also. I am currently reading Michael Bliss' autobiography of Cushing. It sounds like during that era, the best way to learn to become a ns was to specifically train with the few best neurosurgereons (e.g. Cushing, Dandy, Walker, etc.). Do people still do this, or is this a thing of the past since ns has boomed? Rather, do applicants now just look at programs as a whole? Maybe this is a pointless or naive question but I have recently decided to pursue ns and want to get all my career-direction-related issues figured out before I apply in the summer.... Maybe another way to ask this: Are the above people mentioned the Cushing's of our era?:)