Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

FAMU college of pharmacy

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by PharmDr., Apr 17, 2004.

1. PharmDr.

PharmDr. Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What do you guys think about Florida A&M University? Is the curriculum comparable to say UF or NSU? I do want to have a good pharmacy education since I want to do two years of residency after, probaly want to specialize in primary care or internal medicine. I heard they just got a brand new pharmacy complex and are using the old building for labs and research. Any input would help with my consideration.

2. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    FAMU is good if you are going to attend straight out of high school. It's a six year program. Locally, they don't have a good reputation compared to UF or Nova. They are the only school in the state that doesn't require the PCAT and some people go there because of that fact. Many students I know considered it as a back-up plan to UF and Nova.

You should go to Tallahassee and talk with them and see if you like the school. I didn't care for the enforced business dress code for all classes. I'm also pretty quiet and enjoy solitude. The students talked in very loud voices and hung out in crowds. It's not my cup of tea.

I don't think you'd have a problem finding a residency upon graduation, but you really need to see if you like the atmosphere there.

3. Trancelucent1

Trancelucent1 Gator Girl :)
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I don't know the truth in this, but I heard not long ago that they were on the verge of losing their accreditation (sp?). Also, when I was shadowing in a local hospital, most pharmacists said that the students that they worked with that graduated from FAMU were not comparable to those students from UF (they didn't mention Nova). They said they didn't know many things that should be known. I'm not too sure about the school though, Nova was my back-up if I didn't make it into UF. Thankfully, I was accepted :)

~Pam

4. Malissa

Malissa Junior Member

I have had bad experiences with famu. The biggest being that I was never accepted (and no the problem isn't that I wasn't accepted). I got into UF, which was my first choice. And I now have loans to pay for UF. Then I got a letter from the Federal loan program about the loans I'm getting for FAMU. I've never been a student, nor was I ever accepted to the university, but now I have to call and fix this problem. I had other problems all through the admissions process this is just the most recent one. I can't attest to whether they teach you what you need to know, but the university itself is very unorganized and I've had more problems <i>not</i> being a student at FAMU than I have with actually being a student at UF.