famu vs. uf, been done befor i know...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrispharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been accepted into both programs, with famu it would be at their new satellite location that is a 30 minute drive from my house (very enticing), with uf I would have to relocate and deal with renting my house, moving, etc.

I know uf has a great reputation and famu's varies depending upon who you’re asking.
I just want to pick what will be the best in the long run for my career and future opportunities, as well as keep cost down now as I don’t want to go way in debt over school.

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Is the new satellite campus for FAMU in Crestview? Do you know where their rotations are because I just looked it up on google maps and its in the middle of no where.

UF is at least closer to more metropolitan areas and probably has established rotation sites.

Is the new satellite campus for FAMU in Crestview? Do you know where their rotations are because I just looked it up on google maps and its in the middle of no where.

UF is at least closer to more metropolitan areas and probably has established rotation sites.

Yes it's in crestview, they have stated they have signed deals for rotations in pensacola which is a larger city nearby with 2 differant hospitals, a va hospital and a hospital on the local base in addition to retail .

Members don't see this ad :)
UF has the better reputation and it will have better rotation sites. Also UF has higher passing rates on their boards for the past couple years. Maybe it is time for a bit of change =]

So I have been accepted into both programs, with famu it would be at their new satellite location that is a 30 minute drive from my house (very enticing), with uf I would have to relocate and deal with renting my house, moving, etc.

I know uf has a great reputation and famu's varies depending upon who you’re asking.
I just want to pick what will be the best in the long run for my career and future opportunities, as well as keep cost down now as I don’t want to go way in debt over school.

thoughts?

I am one of those people who have nothing against FAMU. However, if I had to choose between these two schools, I would choose UF. Aside from the said statistics, UF has a better reputation in general and I believe it will be a huge boost in helping you find a job later. :)

UF has the better reputation and it will have better rotation sites. Also UF has higher passing rates on their boards for the past couple years. Maybe it is time for a bit of change =]

Change is not really what i am looking for to be honest, i have a home, family etc. so it's easier to stay put. I am aware of the passing rates and to be honest i feel i will pass the boards regardless of what school i attend.

i do want to stay in the area as well so i think it may help to have rotations at possible future places of employment?

Sounds like you want to go to FAMU. Why not? Just do it. ;)

What i really want is to go to UF but at the FAMU location. :laugh:

I do want to stay in the area and see some benefits to doing that, but i dont want to sabotage my future for "convenience".

I was just looking for other peoples thoughts on the topic as I am still undecided and they may present a different view point.

Hey chrispharm, I've been accepted into FAMU's professional pharmacy program as well but at the Tallahassee campus and I will be attending. Being that I was in FAMU's pre-pharmacy program, one could say I've "grown-up" in the FAMU pharmacy culture and I can assure you that FAMU has a very well-respected reputation and first-time board passing rates are consistently >90% (the 2007 class actually had a 100% first-time passage rate on the NAPLEX). In our P4 year, we will be sent to FAMU's rotation sites in either Miami, Tampa, or Jacksonville. I'm from the South Florida area and most of the pharmacists I've come across graduated from FAMU and are doing well for themselves in their various sectors of the field. UF is a great school but so is FAMU and it is by no means of less quality or reputability whatsoever. I'm not sure, but I've heard that tuition at FAMU's pharmacy school is also the cheapest in the state, so that's another factor to consider. In North Florida, especially the panhandle area, FAMU's pharmacy presence is more dominant than UF's as well, so I'd stay close to home and go with FAMU if I were you.

Last edited: