FAP, no parents information?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrevorR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've emailed the MCAT people several times. It has been 3 weeks since my last email, they just don't like to reply?

So here's the situation. In the application it wants to know parents information such as taxes. Problem is, I havent seen my dad in 15 years and I have no idea where he is and my mom has never worked a day in her life so she never had to file taxes nor have I seen her in 8 or so years. In order to submit application, this information has to be completed.

Anyone had this experience and if so, how did they get around it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So I've emailed the MCAT people several times. It has been 3 weeks since my last email, they just don't like to reply?

So here's the situation. In the application it wants to know parents information such as taxes. Problem is, I havent seen my dad in 15 years and I have no idea where he is and my mom has never worked a day in her life so she never had to file taxes. In order to submit application, this information has to be completed.

Anyone had this experience and if so, how did they get around it?
So when I filed I only put my mom's information since I don't know my dad. I think once you apply they tell you what forms are needed. Even if your mom gets SS then SS will give her a form which you can attached stating how much she gets. My mom is disabled so we had to get a from SSA with that information.

Unfortunately, estrangement from your parents does not allow you to apply to AAMC fap. Messed up. I know. You could still qualify for AACOMAS fap, though.

Unfortunately, estrangement from your parents does not allow you to apply to AAMC fap. Messed up. I know. You could still qualify for AACOMAS fap, though.

Actually, they do. FAP people just emailed me this morning. They changed my application to list my parents as estranged and my application can now be submitted.

**UPDATE** Just submitted my application! They listed my parents as estranged and no documentation was required for parents, just their names was all they needed. Thanks all!!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
**UPDATE** Just submitted my application! They listed my parents as estranged and no documentation was required for parents, just their names was all they needed. Thanks all!!

Did they not even require proof that you were estranged? That seems like too easy of a loophole that dishonest premeds might exploit. Not saying you are dishonest about being estranged, just a general observation.

Actually, they do. FAP people just emailed me this morning. They changed my application to list my parents as estranged and my application can now be submitted.

This must be an extremely new policy. There has been a lot of controversy around people unable to receive fap despite having estranged parents. Glad it worked out for you.

Did they not even require proof that you were estranged? That seems like too easy of a loophole that dishonest premeds might exploit. Not saying you are dishonest about being estranged, just a general observation.
This must be an extremely new policy. There has been a lot of controversy around people unable to receive fap despite having estranged parents. Glad it worked out for you.

I literally got a follow up email a few minutes ago. Stated I have to provide some type of proof for estrangement. Here's what it says:

"Your request for estrangement has completed the initial review, the parental financial information section of your Fee Assistance Program application for the requested parents(s) does not need to be filled out. However, your application cannot be approved until all required documentation has been received.

Please have a third party, such as a clergy member, lawyer, school official, or family member (other than your spouse) who can validate the estrangement from your parent(s) complete the attached form. If you are submitting legal documents, please complete the applicant portion of the attached form and indicate you are submitting legal documents.

This Estrangement form will now be a required document that you should upload along with other required documentation for the Fee Assistance Program. Please note that we are not able to accept documentation at this e-mail address."

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I literally got a follow up email a few minutes ago. Stated I have to provide some type of proof for estrangement. Here's what it says:

"Your request for estrangement has completed the initial review, the parental financial information section of your Fee Assistance Program application for the requested parents(s) does not need to be filled out. However, your application cannot be approved until all required documentation has been received.

Please have a third party, such as a clergy member, lawyer, school official, or family member (other than your spouse) who can validate the estrangement from your parent(s) complete the attached form. If you are submitting legal documents, please complete the applicant portion of the attached form and indicate you are submitting legal documents.

This Estrangement form will now be a required document that you should upload along with other required documentation for the Fee Assistance Program. Please note that we are not able to accept documentation at this e-mail address."
I was in a similar situation and had a family member fill out the estrangement form without any issues. I remember applying for FAP was kind of a nightmare due to all the logistics and documents, but well worth it in hindsight.

I was in a similar situation and had a family member fill out the estrangement form without any issues. I remember applying for FAP was kind of a nightmare due to all the logistics and documents, but well worth it in hindsight.

Thanks for your insights. I didn't know how FAP works for cases of estrangement so appreciate the personal experiences on the matter, as they will be helpful for readers facing a similar problem

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your insights. I didn't know how FAP works for cases of estrangement so appreciate the personal experiences on the matter, as they will be helpful for readers facing a similar problem

This. I cannot say I have seen this problem before, so it will be helpful to have a story and evidence to draw off of for future students. Thank you for this.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors