1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

FAP Question

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by rpmfast, Apr 22, 2007.

1. rpmfast

10+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Did not know about FAP until reading the post here. Good stuff! Who is eligible for FAP? For instance, I went to a foreign med school such as the Carribean and have passed the USMLE and want to do a residency and get FAP, can it be done?

Thanks, I will do more searches on the subject.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kzjonez

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The answer is yes, but you can not match on the military match , you need to find your residency on your own .Once you do that you can enter the FAP program after passing step 3 if FMG.

4. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The answer is no. FAP members are commissioned medical corps officers. In order to be commissioned in the medical corps as a physician, you must have graduated from an accredited US/Canadian medical school OR completed an accredited US residency.

Sorry.

5. kzjonez

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I don't mean to troll . But I know for a fact that that is not the case in the ARMY and Air Force, unlike the NAVY which requires some specialties to be board certified and to have 2 years of practice in the specialty if FMG . I would sugest you talk to your healthcare recruiter from the four services and get the scoop.

6. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Won't disagree. I am quoting OPNAV INST 1120.4.

7. DrWahoo

Definitely for the Air Force you can do FAP, if you went to a Caribbean medical school. You must be a citizen and be in an American residency.