FAP≡SES? Fee Assistance Program and evalation of disadvantaged SES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sat0ri

Everything we see hides another
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this is not a frivolous question though I seem to have a penchant for that, but is there any relation between getting FAP and being seen by adcom's as being SES disadvantaged? For example, if you do not get FAP are you precluded from being considered SES disadvantaged? Does FAP necessary mean you are SES? Without drawing out a truth table, basically I'm asking FAP≡SES disadvantaged?

Anyone who has received FAP, is it solely based on parents income? Even if you are a nontraditional student living on your own, paying all your own bills, on EBT, etc? I think my parents are right at the border for 300%, but I don't really know, but even so, it seems irrelevant if I personally am at the poverty line and don't receive parental support.

To a bigger point, is SES even taken into consideration seriously? I remember years ago reading that most evaluators don't

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully this is not a frivolous question though I seem to have a penchant for that, but is there any relation between getting FAP and being seen by adcom's as being SES disadvantaged? For example, if you do not get FAP are you precluded from being considered SES disadvantaged? Does FAP necessary mean you are SES? Without drawing out a truth table, basically I'm asking FAP≡SES disadvantaged?

Anyone who has received FAP, is it solely based on parents income? Even if you are a nontraditional student living on your own, paying all your own bills, on EBT, etc? I think my parents are right at the border for 300%, but I don't really know, but even so, it seems irrelevant if I personally am at the poverty line and don't receive parental support.

To a bigger point, is SES even taken into consideration seriously? I remember years ago reading that most evaluators don't
For FAP, your parents' income is required as long as they are alive. I believe you have to self-identify as disadvantaged. And many medical schools require your parents' finances in determining your financial aid and scholarship eligibility. It doesn't matter if you're independent with kids of your own; that's how the system works, unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
For FAP, your parents' income is required as long as they are alive. I believe you have to self-identify as disadvantaged. And many medical schools require your parents' finances in determining your financial aid and scholarship eligibility. It doesn't matter if you're independent with kids of your own; that's how the system works, unfortunately.
That part really confuses me, but anyways, what can you do. Thanks for the input

Members don't see this ad :)

You may find this interesting: https://www.aamc.org/download/330166/data/seseffectivepractices.pdf

sat0ri said:

My personal suspicion is that SES will play an increasing role in admissions, especially in light of the SCOTUS decision on Fisher v. UT 2.0 looming later this year.

Last edited:
That part really confuses me, but anyways, what can you do. Thanks for the input

Because rich kids could just claim themselves as independent and take money from their parents on the side...

It would be ridiculously easy to do.

It doesn't really give you a "boost" in admissions if that's what you're after

The two are unrelated as you pose. Someone could qualify for FAP since it uses the most recent year's tax returns but not claim disadvantaged because they were not disadvantaged growing up. The AMCAS disadvantaged label is supposed to be for your formative growing up years. FAP is about your current ability to pay for apps. FA is about your immediate family's current ability to pay for school.

Trust me, I know. I couldn't apply out of undergrad because I was supporting myself and completely broke. It took me well over a year of working a second job to save up for this application cycle. And I've been independent since most of my future classmates were in kindergarten.
FAP is about your current ability to pay for apps. FA is about your immediate family's current ability to pay for school.

Sort of. For nontrads, immediate family often consists of the applicant and his or her spouse and children, but for AMCAS, they count the applicant's parents' income regardless. On another note, I believe that for AACOMAS, it's different.