Fap

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DRBHOOM, Jun 5, 2008.

1. DRBHOOM

Pre-Medical
    Did the people that receive the FAP, apply with the disadvantaged status?? I was thinking it would be kinda redundant to say the same twice...:oops:

ty in advance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Character

Other Health Professions Student
    yes, do it. because you get to write an extra essay on amcas as to why you are disadvantaged...so its not really redundant at all. plus, it will indicate on your actual app, that you received a fee waiver, so adcoms will see it when reading your app.

4. DRBHOOM

Pre-Medical
    does this essay have to be as great as the PS??? i hope not because I worked on the PS for 4+ months : S
    if you don't mind me asking did you apply with it?

5. TupacalipseT96

TupacalipseT96 R U Still Down?

Resident [Any Field]
    I received FAP but I didn't apply as disadvantaged. Disadvantaged has very specific requirements (which they list). Including things like being on federal assistance (ie. Welfare) or living in an area that didn't provide sufficient access to health care professionals, etc. These aren't true for me, though I do happen to be broke at the moment :). So just read the small print carefully and make sure it all applies to you, one doesn't necessitate the other.

6. kaliphornia

kaliphornia '12 UCLA!! =)

just be straight forward, concise, to the point. i received fap and applied as disadvantaged. its a little blurb that describes your disadvantaged status. ie where you grew up, family's income, socioeconomic factors. just get to the point. no need to be write a story. thats what your ps is for. it shouldn't take you long to fill out that section. just be grammar-free and talk about yourself. it allows you to elaborate more about yourself that you may not have the chance to in your ps. good luck with this year's cycle!!

7. DRBHOOM

Pre-Medical

Where does it have this at? i didn't check the welfare deal or underrepresented; i picked rural for city, and an averaged past 2 years of tax returns for my parents.

#6 DRBHOOM, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  8. ejay286

ejay286 Member

Pre-Medical
    Did anybody else lol at the thread title? Or am I just a little immature?

9. TupacalipseT96

TupacalipseT96 R U Still Down?

Resident [Any Field]
    On the AMCAS application itself (not the FAP app), on the page where it asks whether you wish to be considered Disadvantaged... there should be a button that says 'Help' or 'What Is This?' ... something to that effect, I don't remember exactly... anyway, it lists the details of what qualifies you as "Disadvantaged". They aren't the same things that got you the FAP.

The ones that I could remember from the top of my head were "Federal Assistance programs (not FAP, but things like federal Welfare, foodstamps, etc), or living in an area that was not sufficiently served by healthcare professionals... ie. did you not have access to proper healthcare growing up?

So, clearly, the requirements are more extreme that just being below 300% the poverty line.

Check it out, it's on that page of AMCAS... i just can't remember where exactly and I'm too lazy to go open my AMCAS app and look :)

10. DRBHOOM

Pre-Medical
    Yep just saw it; it was under help. Ya I think i'm in your boat because i don't fit any of that stuff really.
    Thanks for the help man, and other responses as well.

11. sieve

I did :)

#10 sieve, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  12. DRBHOOM

Pre-Medical
    i'm sooo undecisive... but i ended up doing it, bc i talked to one guys that gave me a tour at UT-COM (memphis) and he had applied for fap/disadvant. He ended up getting a full ride and he was applying from arizona, which i couldn't believe bc they don't take too many outofstaters.
    any who i also talked to a person one of the adcoms there and they said that if they will look at the essay and see if it meets the requirements; so, it's kind of a chance a scholarship basically, and he made it seem stupid not to do it.
    :luck: this cycle guys/gals