fap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsROMA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am in the process of starting a civilian residency program (IM program), but realized, many of you, have so much student debts, both private and federal student loans.
Unfortunately, the program I am starting does not pay well in terms of salary. Hence, I have been talking to this Navy Health Professional Recruiter and he noted that I can sign up a contract, which would allow me to receive monthly stipend and will get 40k after my first year (he called it "1 year anniversary bonus"). In return, after my IM program, I was told that I have to commit at least 4 years in the Navy. I have not signed anything yet, but submitted my resume and residency training award letter.

I guess my question is, does this worth it? I have very little or no knowledge about this program. I was informed of loan repayment program, which I am interested. How difficult is to get in IM fellowship program in the Navy, such as Cardiology or GI or Hem/Onc? I am really hoping to get some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

The problem is you are giving the government a lb of flesh after you finish your residency. The government can take it from any part of your body at any time of its choosing. It can be a great experience but it will not come without a price. Are you prepared to pay it?

I wouldn't expect to go do a fellowship in the Navy after you finish your residency. I would probably expect that the Navy would want you as an IM doc. If you did do a fellowship through th Navy, that would mean more time that you would owe to them. If it's about the money, I wouldn't join.