SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Farmacy School Follies: Or How My School Trains Pharmacists Not to be Pharmacists

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Pharmer1921, Nov 27, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Pharmer1921

Pharmer1921

Oct 23, 2017
    Hello all, I am a student at the University of Arizona College of Pharmacy Class of 2020. Today, our Dean presented us with a "unique" opportunity. He, our Dean, let the student body know we will, in the short future, be able to do a PharmD/NP pathway. Yes, you are reading that correctly. Pharmacy schools are now training their pharmacists to not be pharmacists in response to the mess they created. I would like to get people's opinion on this. A girl in the class above us asked why they are moving away from training people to be pharmacists and the Dean responded that instead of fighting for pharmacist prescribing rights this will be an easier pathway. The school will go public with this information in January. You, as prepharms should be wondering why a school would want a school that trains pharmacists to not be pharmacists.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lalaland33

lalaland33

Sep 20, 2017
    Aren't they training you to be both PharmD AND NP? It doesn't sound like they're taking away any part of your Pharmacy education. It's not a terrible idea since there's a growing demand for naturopathic medicine. And since there are patients who prefer supplementing their medications with other things, it doesn't hurt to know what they're taking.

4. stoichiometrist

stoichiometrist 5+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2011
    It seems like half the students who enroll in pharmacy school don't want to be pharmacists anyway.

They'll be disappointed when the only job they can find is that of a CVS *gasp* pharmacist 1000+ miles away from where they want to live.

5. DrVader

DrVader

Feb 5, 2017
    If someone is stupid enough to go to pharmacy school then they might as well as become an NP. At my school, they pushed the whole PharmD/MBA track to separate ourselves from the competition. Although, most real business people don't respect an MBA earned that way. In reality, it is just a waste. If you are going to become an NP, become an NP, you don't need to go to pharmacy school for that.