Back34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2002
Ann Arbor
Visit site
Status
What's the most effective way of removing the superficial fascia from muscle. We're doing the back in gross and I'm in the process of snip snip snipping the fascia away. It's really time consuming and I feel like I could just as easily scrape it off, but I don't want to damage the muscle. Any advice would be well - appreciated. Thanks.

Doc AdamK in 2006

Now 2 year UB Med Doc
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2002
Defintely Buffalo
Visit site
Status
I think the best way is to soak the body in wetting solution overnight. The fascia swells and can be pulled off most of the time. But I'm afraid that you willhave to snip snip.

AK

kutastha

2K Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
We use forceps to pull on the fascia and then it comes right off with a scalpel. Try turning your blade upwards as you scrape at the base of it.

FrankMD

Ophthalmologist Wanna Be
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2001
NYC
www.berkeley.edu
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I agree with Doctora Foxy.
Try to find a plane between the muscle and the fascia and rip it.

Badgerbabe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2000
Madison, WI
Visit site
Status
We got a really nice probe where the "non probe" end is pointed and somewhat sharp. It si great for ripping in the plane btwn muscle and fascia, without as much risk for damage as a scalpel.

Zoobaby

Monkey Wrench
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
BFE
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Doctora Foxy
Rip it off with your hands.

i want to vomit.
Foxy, is school really killing you as much as you insinuate in your posts??

I hope everything is ok...

Long Hair and a Beard

Obsessionist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2002
India
members.tripod.com
Status
It's been four years.. But if I remember correctly, we used to do blunt dissection to separate fascia from muscle.. That is.. insert the forceps with prongs apposed between the layers you want to separate.. And then open the forceps. That way, there is no fear of cutting nerves/arteries.

outforblood

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2002
Visit site
Status
yep, just get right in there with your hands, run your index finger between the fascia and muscle and it will come off faster than
a prom dress