Fascia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Back34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the most effective way of removing the superficial fascia from muscle. We're doing the back in gross and I'm in the process of snip snip snipping the fascia away. It's really time consuming and I feel like I could just as easily scrape it off, but I don't want to damage the muscle. Any advice would be well - appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the best way is to soak the body in wetting solution overnight. The fascia swells and can be pulled off most of the time. But I'm afraid that you willhave to snip snip.

AK

We use forceps to pull on the fascia and then it comes right off with a scalpel. Try turning your blade upwards as you scrape at the base of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rip it off with your hands.

i want to vomit.

I agree with Doctora Foxy.
Try to find a plane between the muscle and the fascia and rip it.

We got a really nice probe where the "non probe" end is pointed and somewhat sharp. It si great for ripping in the plane btwn muscle and fascia, without as much risk for damage as a scalpel.

Originally posted by Doctora Foxy
Rip it off with your hands.

i want to vomit.

Foxy, is school really killing you as much as you insinuate in your posts??

I hope everything is ok...

It's been four years.. But if I remember correctly, we used to do blunt dissection to separate fascia from muscle.. That is.. insert the forceps with prongs apposed between the layers you want to separate.. And then open the forceps. That way, there is no fear of cutting nerves/arteries.

yep, just get right in there with your hands, run your index finger between the fascia and muscle and it will come off faster than
a prom dress