Fashion Emergency!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDingo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive the goofy thread title, but after dirtying my suit on Sunday, dropping it off at the cleaner's Monday with a promise of completion by this morning, I discovered today that they sent it to the wrong branch and it won't be ready until tomorrow. Except...I'm currently sitting on a plane ready to take off for my interview first thing tomorrow morning. Luckily, my destination city is reasonably sized, so I should be able to find a mall still open to get a new suit, but...what are my chances of actually finding one that fits properly? Is it better to be a little too long or a little too short? I doubt any place would be able to adjust it for me by the end of the evening.

Any advice? Anyone ever been in a similar situation? This is my first interview, and (with my GPA) possibly my last, so I have to make it count. What I do have is a shirt, tie, slacks, and shoes. I'll be staying with a friend who could lend me a jacket, but I suspect a matching suit would be highly preferable.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say go a little long. Also, have you thought about possibly renting a suit?

Reactions: 1 user
Well, you're basically at the mercy of whatever you find in stores in the area you're interviewing in. But I highly doubt that interviewers will care (or even notice) if your suit jacket is slightly ill-fitting or not exactly a matching color so long as it pretty much fits.

Honestly, if it were me, I would probably just borrow something from a friend (if it fits) and avoid spending more $$$. Either way, as long you look clean and professional, I doubt that adcoms will scrutinize your clothing. I think this is something that us interviewees tend to stress about more than is really necessary!

Edit: But do whatever makes you most comfortable. If you're going to be stressed out all day because your suit jacket is the wrong color, by all means by a new one! The last thing you want it to be stressed about your appearance when you should be focusing on having a killer interview. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgive the goofy thread title, but after dirtying my suit on Sunday, dropping it off at the cleaner's Monday with a promise of completion by this morning, I discovered today that they sent it to the wrong branch and it won't be ready until tomorrow. Except...I'm currently sitting on a plane ready to take off for my interview first thing tomorrow morning. Luckily, my destination city is reasonably sized, so I should be able to find a mall still open to get a new suit, but...what are my chances of actually finding one that fits properly? Is it better to be a little too long or a little too short? I doubt any place would be able to adjust it for me by the end of the evening.

Any advice? Anyone ever been in a similar situation? This is my first interview, and (with my GPA) possibly my last, so I have to make it count. What I do have is a shirt, tie, slacks, and shoes. I'll be staying with a friend who could lend me a jacket, but I suspect a matching suit would be highly preferable.
Matching suits are good, but not necessary. Too many guys wear all-black suits and look like they're going to a funeral. You can wear a dark navy pant with a grey jacket and it'll look fine. Whatever you do, AVOID KHAKI!

When you get into town, try to find a Men's Warehouse or Jos.A Bank. They always have some sort of deal and for the most part, you'll be able to find a good cut. Just explain your situation and see what they can find for you.

I disagree -- If you can't buy a decent-looking, decent-fitting suit when you land, wear slacks and a shirt (no tie) and blame the airlines.
Airlines stuff happens. But a BAD suit is all on you.

Reactions: 1 users
I disagree -- If you can't buy a decent-looking, decent-fitting suit when you land, wear slacks and a shirt (no tie) and blame the airlines.
Why no tie?

It's been years since my last new suit, so I'm due for another one anyway (though my old one is in excellent shape and still fits well), so I think I would prefer buying over renting, if I can find one I like. Lucky for me, I've got two female friends picking me up from the airport, so at least I've got some fashion advisors =P

Disagree. It's not worth lying/making up BS story over something this small and minor. To the OP, buy a suit that fits your shoulder and waist well. You should be able to find one like that with the sleeve either a bit long or short, choose the long one. To be honest, no one at the interview will care or pay too much attention to the detail of your suit. The old timers at medical schools are not exactly fashion-conscious by any mean. I saw multiple doctors and faculty with some atrocious baggy suit on my interview trail too many times already.

Reactions: 1 users
I wore a crappy, ill fitting, discount off the rack suit to all my interviews and it hasn't hurt me at all. Don't fret.

Buy a decent suit and force the dry cleaners to reimburse you. Don't be a pushover, they will if you're assertive and don't back down. I'd say go slightly short over long because baggy is old man style but slightly too small can be spun as European and fashionable. Try to find one that fits well though, shouldn't be too hard. Hilfiger suits are reasonable and fit semi-tailored off the rack compared to something like Ralph Lauren that fits wider before you get it sewn up.

You'll be fine, don't stress. Good luck!

I'm generally pretty cool under pressure, so my stress is working out more to frustration than nervousness. I wouldn't lie to the interviewers; worst case scenario is I show up in an ugly jacket and break the ice with a crack about the dryclean mix-up. I hear that this school has pretty laid-back interviews, so I don't think it should be too bad. Thanks for entertaining my excitement, ladies and gentlemen - I appreciate it quite a bit.

Buy a decent suit and force the dry cleaners to reimburse you. Don't be a pushover, they will if you're assertive and don't back down. I'd say go slightly short over long because baggy is old man style but slightly too small can be spun as European and fashionable. Try to find one that fits well though, shouldn't be too hard. Hilfiger suits are reasonable and fit semi-tailored off the rack compared to something like Ralph Lauren that fits wider before you get it sewn up.

You'll be fine, don't stress. Good luck!
Oh yes, I will certainly not be paying for this cleaning.

Oh yes, I will certainly not be paying for this cleaning.

Nah man, make them pay for the new suit. You have valid grounds, it's entirely their error. Sure, you're an idiot for dropping it off so last minute (no offense) but they advertised a service and did not hold up their end. You should get a free sub-$500 suit out of this if you play your cards right.

is there a sak's off fifth outlet there?

Why no tie?

If your story is that the airline lost your luggage, you probably wouldn't have been wearing a tie on the plane. A decent shirt and slacks? - Plausible. Tie? - no.

Clever, DokterMom - if I were your interviewer, I'd let you in even if I knew the truth just out of respect of your attention to minutiae.

Update: though my flight was delayed, I managed to land and scuttle off to the mall with time to pick out a great-looking suit before it closed, and it's almost a perfect fit right off the rack. Now in good spirits for the morning ☺

Reactions: 5 users
Clever, DokterMom - if I were your interviewer, I'd let you in even if I knew the truth just out of respect of your attention to minutiae.

Update: though my flight was delayed, I managed to land and scuttle off to the mall with time to pick out a great-looking suit before it closed, and it's almost a perfect fit right off the rack. Now in good spirits for the morning ☺

Outstanding! Best possible solution. Now if you can, do let your interviewers know what happened. Being able to think on your feet and recover gracefully from unexpected adverse events is an important skill.

Reactions: 3 users
Outstanding! Best possible solution. Now if you can, do let your interviewers know what happened. Being able to think on your feet and recover gracefully from unexpected adverse events is an important skill.
Oh, too late - I didn't think to mention it. I feel like I did alright, though, and we had plenty to talk about (even some shared hobbies).