Fashion People: I need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybe.a.dentist

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have a suit to wear to interviews but don't have much to spend or long to save up to buy one. Can you (or interviewers) tell when a suit is cheap? Where should I look when budget is a big concern? I don't know much at all about fashion (as a kid I was known as the guy who always wore camo) so I need real help, fast.

Members don't see this ad.

What's your budget? If it's within 99-200 then go to men's warehouse or jos a bank and talk to someone there. Give them your budget and tell them what you want and they'll be able to help you. Make sure you get it tailored.

If that's too much, start looking on cragislist and goodwill. if you can find something that fits okay then you should be able to get it tailored to look professional.

The most important part is getting it tailored so that it actually fits your body. That can really make a difference on whether it actually looks good on you. Try not to buy a suit online without actually trying it on first.

I don't have a suit to wear to interviews but don't have much to spend or long to save up to buy one. Can you (or interviewers) tell when a suit is cheap? Where should I look when budget is a big concern? I don't know much at all about fashion (as a kid I was known as the guy who always wore camo) so I need real help, fast.

What is your budget?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell when a suit is cheap but I really don't think adcoms would look down on your suit being cheap. If men's warehouse is too expensive you can get cheaper suits at Target, Kohls, or JC Penny. Suit supply has higher quality suits for around 400 if you're able to stretch.

+1 on the tailoring though unless it looks fine off the rack. Tailoring can make a cheap suit look more expensive.

Combatant gentleman has 100% wool suits for 160.. cheaper than that and I would just go to one of the big department stores like Macy's and try and find something. The bar iii is decent and often on sale

Sent from my SM-G550T using SDN mobile

I just went to JC pennys the other day. In Womens (but I imagine Mens would be similar...maybe slightly higher price) I could get a shirt, jacket, and pants for less that 80$ probably. They were having a good sale and always have coupons.

I will echo the above:

Above all else, get it tailored.

I believe Macy's does have in house tailoring but I'm unsure of JC Penny

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into your suggestions.

I have a total opposite concern: my only suit is from Burberry (gift from a family member a few years ago)

would it be okay to wear it for the interview? or is it too showy?

I have a total opposite concern: my only suit is from Burberry (gift from a family member a few years ago)

would it be okay to wear it for the interview? or is it too showy?

tumblr_m6oqhaNneM1ru8bmpo1_500.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm I don't think it's too showy. Looks a bit too casual imo. Like something you might wear to the country club. Although that may just be the lighting.

ya you are exactly right on the country club idea.

I guess i should go get more professional suit