May 25, 2014
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hey Guys,

To all those that have attended interviews, correct me If I'm wrong, guys usually only wear BLACK suits right?. I'm not one to follow "traditional standards", but I think formality needs be strictly adhered to in this scenario and I don't think pharm school interviews are an occasion to necessarily express myself.

In other words, was every single guy at that interview wearing a black suit?

Jul 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
No, you do not have to wear a black suit. In fact, if you want to stand out I would go for a dark grey suit or a navy suit. If you still want to stand out more than go for brown shoes. If not go with black shoes. But, do not wear a cardigan with a button up shirt and chinos. I am thinking of going with navy suit with light blue shirt and red tie. I almost forgot! Pocket squares!! Use them :clap:

Reactions: SportsLover21
May 14, 2014
North Olmsted, Ohio
Whatever you choose to wear just make sure you pull it off! I think pharmacy schools want people that know how to dress professionally that can represent their school. Boring and "traditional" may not be the best for you!

Oct 2, 2014
From what I've seen so far black is actually in the minority. Personally, I got a dark grey suit because it can be used for more occasions than a black suit can and I want to get my moneys worth out of it

Mar 4, 2012
Durham, North Carolina
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
at some places, black suit can represent of dead (like funeral), boring. You are correct.

KidPharmD

Pediatric ER Pharmacist
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2014
Status
Pharmacist
As an interviewer, I do not see black suits as boring. In actuality they are very professional when worn correctly. That being said, a navy suit or business gray suit works very well. People overestimate the positive effect that the way you dress affects your interview. It can have a profound negative effect. If you screw something up in the way you dress I am much more likely to notice the way you dress. I have seen belts that didn't match, bold shirts and ties that didn't go well together, poorly worn pocket squares, shoes that did not go with the suit (style or condition), and many other mistakes from guys.

At the end of the day, I need to be able to associate you with your resume because that is what is in front of me when we rank you. The most I am going to note about the way you dressed is "professional" or "unprofessional." Other interviews may care more, but I guarantee we don't discuss who pulled off the bright shirt and light gray suit at the end.

May 14, 2014
North Olmsted, Ohio
As an interviewer, I do not see black suits as boring. In actuality they are very professional when worn correctly. That being said, a navy suit or business gray suit works very well. People overestimate the positive effect that the way you dress affects your interview. It can have a profound negative effect. If you screw something up in the way you dress I am much more likely to notice the way you dress. I have seen belts that didn't match, bold shirts and ties that didn't go well together, poorly worn pocket squares, shoes that did not go with the suit (style or condition), and many other mistakes from guys.

At the end of the day, I need to be able to associate you with your resume because that is what is in front of me when we rank you. The most I am going to note about the way you dressed is "professional" or "unprofessional." Other interviews may care more, but I guarantee we don't discuss who pulled off the bright shirt and light gray suit at the end.
I agree with your above statements but not all of them. I feel that a way you dress plays a critical role in the interview process. For instance, if I were dressed how I would like to dress it would have the biggest affect in my confidence that day. Compared to if I were to wear a plain suit I would feel average and not as confident. Then again it all depends on the person. When I picked a suit combination I didn't even have the interviewers in mind. I picked what I liked and what would give me the most amount of confidence going into it (while still looking professional). So for the people still deciding on what to wear...just wear something you choose to wear and not what you think they want you to wear. Just be professional about it.

KidPharmD

Pediatric ER Pharmacist
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2014
Status
Pharmacist
I agree with your above statements but not all of them. I feel that a way you dress plays a critical role in the interview process. For instance, if I were dressed how I would like to dress it would have the biggest affect in my confidence that day. Compared to if I were to wear a plain suit I would feel average and not as confident. Then again it all depends on the person. When I picked a suit combination I didn't even have the interviewers in mind. I picked what I liked and what would give me the most amount of confidence going into it (while still looking professional). So for the people still deciding on what to wear...just wear something you choose to wear and not what you think they want you to wear. Just be professional about it.
I never meant to imply that how you dress might not impact the way you present yourself. It is your presentation of yourself that interviewers care about, not so much exactly how you dress. Some, however, might be uncomfortable in ANY suit and it would probably be bad advice to tell these people they should dress to stand out.

Your reasoning stands true, unless you pick a shirt and tie combination that is distracting for example. The reason most people dress conservatively is that dressing to stand out is usually a high risk, low reward scenario.

Reactions: gagequintin

Eppur Si Muove

And yet, it moves
2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Black is playing it safe, a navy or nice grey suit just looks much nicer and has more personality than the typical black. Throw in a nice pair of burgundy or brown shoes and your good to go

May 2, 2014
Status
Pharmacy Student
I didn't even go with a traditional suit, just a nice dress shirt (picked Navy) and some brown pants + nice shoes.

monkey24

5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
any tips for the ladies attire? im thinking black pants, with light grey button up top/shirt tucked in, black blazer and black leather shoes..

OP
SportsLover21
May 25, 2014
Status
Pharmacy Student
WOW. I am so surprised I actually recieved positive responses. I thought most people would say

Absolutely! I appreciate the response. Yeah trust me, I know all about the impact of "first impressions"…. cognitively speaking of course. We humans are such magnificient creatures. Within a 1/10 of a second, we automatically make subconscious judgements about someone new and spend the rest of the time validating our intial pre-concieved notions.

Thanks to years of evolution, consistency amongst our cognitions is of significant importance. You ever wonder why nobody wins an argument? Exactly. Each person has their own view and both individuals "believe" they're right.

OP
SportsLover21
May 25, 2014
Status
Pharmacy Student
any tips for the ladies attire? im thinking black pants, with light grey button up top/shirt tucked in, black blazer and black leather shoes..
Yeah. It's better to overdress than underdress. Wear the best thing you got ^_^

OP
SportsLover21
May 25, 2014
Status
Pharmacy Student
Black is playing it safe, a navy or nice grey suit just looks much nicer and has more personality than the typical black. Throw in a nice pair of burgundy or brown shoes and your good to go
Love the response. I'm definitely going GQ on this one.

KidPharmD

Pediatric ER Pharmacist
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2014
Status
Pharmacist
I didn't even go with a traditional suit, just a nice dress shirt (picked Navy) and some brown pants + nice shoes.
I am sure you interviewed well, but this would have been a major negative for me as an interviewer. It would have been the wrong way to start an interview with me.

May 2, 2014
Status
Pharmacy Student
I am sure you interviewed well, but this would have been a major negative for me as an interviewer. It would have been the wrong way to start an interview with me.
Goal is to look professional, while a suit is all and all a professional attire, there are many other ways to dress professionally. Also to note, I interviewed in Houston (was roughly 85+ outside with relative humidity of 90%, so it was common sense to not overdress for that type of weather).

KidPharmD

Pediatric ER Pharmacist
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2014
Status
Pharmacist
Goal is to look professional, while a suit is all and all a professional attire, there are many other ways to dress professionally. Also to note, I interviewed in Houston (was roughly 85+ outside with relative humidity of 90%, so it was common sense to not overdress for that type of weather).
While, this may have been acceptable at the place you interviewed at, I was trying to make a point. Professional dress is very dependent on the setting and the expectations of those around you. "Professional dress" for my daily job doesn't even include a tie. Professional dress for my friend who works for a law firm in town is a suit nicer than any I own.

I think that a good rule of thumb for interview dress is to dress one step nicer than the dress code at the job you want, up to wearing a very nice suit (don't wear a tux to interview at a suit job). As most colleges of pharmacy consider professional dress for their male students to be a dress shirt and tie, the next step up is a decent black, blue, or gray suit.'

Again, you may have interviewed very well. I have certainly recommended people for acceptance who I thought needed a lesson in interview dress (men and women). However, for most students at most institutions, foregoing the suit would be a risk not worth taking.

Reactions: RxEvileye
Jul 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
does the black suit have to be buttoned up for males?
if you have a two button suit then only button the top one. If you have the three button suit then button the top one and middle one. if you are standing up/ walking have your suit buttoned. if you are sitting down have it unbuttoned.

Aug 11, 2014
Is it still count as business formal if I unbutton the suit but just button up the vest underneath? Are vests even allowed?