fast track CT surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

callhiminsane

Does anybody know if there are going to be any fast track CT surgery residency programs? I've heard of talk about only doing 3 years of general surg (instead of 5) followed by 3 years of CT surgery. As well as talk about 5 years of general surgery where your last (Chief) year is dedicated mostly to CT surgery, therby cutting down on the fellowship years.

Members don't see this ad.

Like yourself, I've heard talk of General Surgery residencies being integrated into subspecialty surgical fields.

Kimberly Cox might be a good one to answer this question.

My understanding of the situation is that, because applications to General Surgery Residencies are decreasing (as are procedures for General Surgeons) a lot of people feel it makes sense just to combine the specialty programs with the general programs, much like you outlined in your original question.

Whether or not that actually happens soon is something we'll have to see, but I doubt that it would.

That said, I think a lot of people would be more interested in applying for an accelerated CT Surg position or Peds Surg position, if they were integrated programs.

Does anyone else have any info on this topic. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
The groundwork for potential future integrated CTS residencies has been in place since last fall when the prerequisite for board-eligibility in general surgery was relaxed. There are not currently any programs that I know that have yet proposed their model for what this would entail, but their will be some pilot programs likely in the next 4-5 years. Vascular surgery is also in some prelim discussions for a similar move. Peds surg is unlikely to ever do this b/c of the similarities with general surgery.

As to whether this is a good thing is an entirely different issue that gets extensively debated. It's hard to abbreviate a lot of the skills & experience/judgement you get from your surgery training. For instance, there have been very mixed results with the integrated plastic surgery experiment to this point, with some programs canceling their programs. If you look @ the history of the fields' development, so many of the major advances in PRS have come from the experiences of preliminary training in general surgery, ENT, OMFS, Neurosurgery, orthopedics, and even urology that plastic surgeons brought to the field. Some of this magical synthesis of experience is lost by assuming you can skip the most important years of training and I think a similar thing would happen to CTS.