fast tracking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Celsus

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone explain the concept of fast tracking to me? Which specialties of IM is this available in and is it more competitive than the general IM programs at the same hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

Celsus said:
Could someone explain the concept of fast tracking to me? Which specialties of IM is this available in and is it more competitive than the general IM programs at the same hospital?
From what I see, most of the fast-track programs are reserved for MD/PhD students. Some programs seem to guarantee them a fellowship (most of the ones i have met on the interview trail seem to be interested in GI/cards) after completing 2 years of a categorical program. However from what they tell me, it is 2 years of internal medicine, 1 year of clinical fellowship and 3 years of basic/clinical research so there is not much of a difference in length of training (6 years total). You do get a guaranteed fellowship though. I think they also have additional interviews from the categorical interviews. At least at the interviews I have gone to, the MD/PhD students seem at least as qualified as all the other students (in most cases they come from really great schools).