fat ass at OBC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemist157

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not really. But I am about 10 pounds overweight. I've been trying to run every day but I got achilles tendonitis from pushing it too hard too fast.

My question is what happens if I don't show up meeting the Ht/Wt and PU/SU/running standards? Will I be alone with a few hundred other students who are athletes, meeting these standards no problem? I'm afraid I'll be embarrased and get into "trouble" by not showing up "fit". What should I do?

any help is apprecitated. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

good question... I'm definitely not a runner (i like to bike), so i'd like to know the answer too...

When is your report date?

If you are going to the 10JUN start, you have time. You only have to be able to run 2 miles in about 16 minutes or so. Thats an 8 minute pace--no big deal--but you can't get there on twinkies and crap.

I have only been to NCOES (Noncommissioned Officer Education System--Primary Leadership Development) and they kicked people back who were not meeting the standard, so make sure you are at the minimum before you leave. I would assume that to be pretty embarrassing.

Just relax, and try to run at least 5 days a week. There are a bunch of NCO's (I was one of them) who will tell you to run through the tendonitis and don't EVER go to sick call. Take it for what it's worth, but in 6+ years, I have never been.

Twice a week do as many pushups and situps as you can when you get back from your runs. Eat healthy--you are a doctor--you know what to cut back on. That's all I do when a PT test is comming up. I always get at least a 270.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tired is correct, at least for the Army.

Depending on how strict your troop commander/CSM is, docs may or may not have to do remedial "fat boy" PT. Also, the Army has checked, and PT time does not count toward the 80 hour work week, per the RRC.

An unbelievable number of people in my OBC class failed the PT test. Including myself...by 2 situps. :laugh: I nailed the run and the pushups though.

An unbelievable number of people in my OBC class failed the PT test. Including myself...by 2 situps. :laugh: I nailed the run and the pushups though.
When is the PT test? Do you do it once each at the beginning and end? Is the first one only diagnostic or can you fail that one too?

Ok, what are the official PT requirements? Anyone?

just be happy that you get to go. I need to go to get my GI bill $ and the national guard is acting like they are doing me a favor and might schedule it this summer

Apparently you've never heard of Vitamin M. Take an 800mg Motrin, wait for it to kick in, and then get back into running again IF you really want to pass your initial PT test. If being a sluggo doesn't bother you too much, then don't worry about it.

They probably change things every year, but MY year we took the PT test on day 3. I think that's what got a lot of people. Many, including myself, we expecting to do a good 4-5 weeks of PT at Ft. Sam before having to take the PT test. They did offer another PT test during the last week, but they would only take the score from the first one. Needless to say, not a lot of people jumped at the chance to take the second one when it wasn't really going on record. I think most people would have passed the second one.

Apparently you've never heard of Vitamin M. Take an 800mg Motrin, wait for it to kick in, and then get back into running again IF you really want to pass your initial PT test. If being a sluggo doesn't bother you too much, then don't worry about it.
Wow, that's some sound medical advice. I'm sure if I tear the tendon and have to have surgery passing that PT test will be so much easier.

Wow, that's some sound medical advice. I'm sure if I tear the tendon and have to have surgery passing that PT test will be so much easier.

It's called military sick call, and short of legitimate injury, that is the extent of the treatment you will get. Like I said, if being a sluggo doesn't bother you, then don't worry about the PT test. There is a difference between pain and injury, and pain receives Motrin (or ibuprofen depending on who the vendor is that particular year).

It's called military sick call, and short of legitimate injury, that is the extent of the treatment you will get. Like I said, if being a sluggo doesn't bother you, then don't worry about the PT test. There is a difference between pain and injury, and pain receives Motrin (or ibuprofen depending on who the vendor is that particular year).
I understand. And just to be clear, I'm not a sluggo and I'm not looking for a way out. I just don't want to make it worse.

When I was at OBC (summer of 2005) I made weight by literally .25 inches (I was told to "think tall" after my weight was 4 lbs over my estimated height before they actually measured me). My water and diet soda crash diet 4 days before OBC started worked, but I can't say I'd recommend it. We were weighed on day #1 with the PT test on day 3 or 4. My buddy was clearly overweight, but he's a gym rat and pretty ripped. All it means is that you need to show up early the next morning to get "taped" (fat measured). Everyone I know passed that. IF you fail that, they made you show up to PT on off days (which was easier), but many of us showed up anyways just to get in the routine of waking up early and it gave us an excuse to work out. Failing the PT exam automatically disqualifies you from "honoring" OBC (not sure about weight/taping) regardless of your overall score...whatever that means.

My strong recommendation is to show up a day early to OBC if possible. Go out in the mid-day/afternoon sun and run around the track a few times to get your body used to the heat of San Antonio. I think that's one of the hardest parts. If you can run a 16-minute 2 mile in that heat, you'll be able to do it when it's cooler at 5am.

I understand. And just to be clear, I'm not a sluggo and I'm not looking for a way out. I just don't want to make it worse.

You are to be commended because so many of your peers just won't care. I don't know when you report, but to be at your best I would recommend using an ellipitical trainer (or stationary bike, whichever is available) for 30-40 minutes a day (with your favorite NSAID and at a cardio challenging pace) until your tendon is better. Then transition back into running gradually -->30 minutes trainer followed by 10 minutes running, increasing the running in 5 min increments and decreasing the other exercise appropriately. No matter what you do beforehand, the heat will kick your ass, even at 5am if you aren't acclimated (which usually takes 2-3 weeks minimal). No, I haven't been through THAT particular OBC (yet), but I've had my share of summer PT (West Point, Ft Leonard Wood, Ft Polk, Ft Benning, Ft Rucker, Ft Sill, Ft Knox, Ft Leavenworth, Kuwait, Iraq).

Nobody really cares how well you do on your "PT" test in OBC. It's a diagnostic APFT, not a record test, so it doesn't affect anything. And it should be called Army Daycare, not OBC. It's really that easy. Just have fun and enjoy your private suite in a cool city for 6 weeks.

Hey guys,

I'll be at OBC this summer too...I just noticed the full schedule is posted on website for the course basically hour by hour and it tells you when we'll be taking the APFT. My biggest worry is just the heat...I feel like there is no way you can really prepare for that. I just got my orders this week and I was wondering if anyone knows what the codes and money amounts mean on the bottom of the page. I understand the first number to be the base pay we receive for AD but there were a few other things listed that I tried to figure out and didnt have any luck. Are most of you guys driving or flying???

My biggest worry is just the heat...I feel like there is no way you can really prepare for that.

I can't claim expert-status on much, but I can say something about heat in the southern states. As a native of the MS Delta, where it is not only 100 degrees during the summer but also 95% humidity, I can assure you that the heat in San Antonio won't be "that bad." As we like to say, it's just the "dry heat." I'd take that any day over cutting through the Mississippi/Louisiana sheet-like humidity with a bowie knife when I run.

Just hydrate. It's only 2 miles; you won't start to feel the heat until the end.

Good luck, though.

So what's the weather like in Rhode Island right now?

Now...40-70 on a given day. Prepare for everything from 40oF with wind and rain (want to stay in bed all day) to gorgeous 70oF days.

Hey guys,

I'll be at OBC this summer too...I just noticed the full schedule is posted on website for the course basically hour by hour and it tells you when we'll be taking the APFT. My biggest worry is just the heat...I feel like there is no way you can really prepare for that. I just got my orders this week and I was wondering if anyone knows what the codes and money amounts mean on the bottom of the page. I understand the first number to be the base pay we receive for AD but there were a few other things listed that I tried to figure out and didnt have any luck. Are most of you guys driving or flying???
I too was wondering about all those codes and money amounts.

not only will you not get bounced out, you can claim the metabolic syndrome, the knee problems, and CAD you develop while on active duty.

Nice little paycheck every month to make the BMW payment after the army:D