Fat doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OSUdoc08 said:
It has nothing to do with success rates and relapses and all to do with SELF-CONTROL.

The relapse occurs when you decide to buy Little Debbies at Kroger.

Just don't.
I am *so glad* you're not my doctor.

To add a somewhat more constructive comment to the OP, I agree with people who have said that having struggled with your weight might actually make you more effective with patients.

I gained weight after college, when I went from walking miles between classes and getting outside on the weekend to commuting to a depressing job where I sat on my butt all day and still felt exhausted when I got home. At the time, I saw an NP who was thin - not anorexic or psycho-athlete, just a naturally small frame - and she more or less said "can't you just, like, eat better or get some more exercise or something...?" Yeah, thanks. Guess what I did about it? Diddly squat.

I regained my active lifestyle early in grad school and lost weight. Now I spend 10 hours a day in lab, 7 days a week, and have re-gained some weight despite eating well. I recently saw another NP, who happened to have some noticeable tummy overhang. He commented on the upward trend in my chart, then gave very gentle and practical suggestions from the "this is what I do to maintain control with my own hectic schedule" perspective - drink more water, take the stairs, pick someplace out-of-the-way to walk for lunch, make sure to eat during the day even if you're busy rather than starving all day and over-eating in one big meal, etc. And I took those suggestions well, because they were practical and given from experience.

Now, my 15 pounds is way different from a patient who needs to get rid of 150. But even so, you're going to be able to say "look at me, I eat pretty well, work out, get regular checkups and know my blood pressure and cholesterol are OK. I know I'm healthy so I don't worry so much about the rolls around the waistband." Which is going to get a way better response from the patient than "I run 5 miles a day and only eat lettuce" or - god forbid - "well you obviously just don't have enough self-control."

That said, I also agree that you're not obese. I have also had experience with nurses and doctors who are clearly, grossly, obese. With these people, I'm sorry to say, I have exactly the reaction you fear - this person is *not* in control of their body (whether that's eating too much or having an undiagnosed medical problem) - and they do lose some of my respect. So I think they key is knowing you're healthy and in control despite being "fat" by Playboy standards, and being able to project that.

Members don't see this ad.

kate_g said:
I am *so glad* you're not my doctor.

EDIT......DELETE.......BLANK

brightness said:
Ok, I'm not really obese, but I am significantly overweight, and I want to be a doctor- I am still in my undergrad, so I'm just thinking these issues over. I've always had a lot of difficulty with my weight and even though I exercise, my eating is not what it should be. I have the potential to change, but I have always had difficulties in this area and it seems unlikely that they'll vanish anytime soon.
I feel like...as a doctor who is fat, I would be a farce. How can I give people health advice when I can't even stop stuffing my face and being a lard ass? I don't want to feel this way about myself, so I try to eat healthy and exercise, but I am far from perfect habits or a perfect body. What do you think about fat physicians and medical personnel? Is it completely unacceptable? Will people look down on me? Should overweight people be doctors? Would you see an overweight doctor?
I added a picture so you can see what I look like. I'm in white! I am 5'3 and I weigh 180, and this might seem like a REALLY DUMB post, but I guess I'm just wondering what you think. Feel free to be ruthless.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
It has nothing to do with success rates and relapses and all to do with SELF-CONTROL.

The relapse occurs when you decide to buy Little Debbies at Kroger.

Just don't.

Physicians should have this self-control, and not be getting surgery to narrow the lumen of their stomach so they can't fit as much food down there.

We had a classmate get this surgery, but claim she was hospitalized with EBV mononucleosis. We used class funds to buy her flowers and a card.

That b***h just couldn't quit eating desserts.

You know, someday you yourself may want a little empathy. Or need a little mercy. Think you'll get it?

First of all, to the OP, I can definitely reassure you that your weight shouldn't be an issue. I have met plenty of med students who weighed more than you. A lot of Americans nowadays are overweight and docs are, after all, people just like everyone else.

To those who are making judgemental comments about 'self control', please direct me to some research that shows that obesity is purely a matter of having less discipline than other people.
I'm aware of plenty of research that shows the exact opposite (such as the studies showing how ventromedial hypothalamus lesions can cause a formerly normal animal to become obese, twin studies which indicate that weight is genetically influenced, or studies indicating weight loss surgery produces changes in the level of hormones like ghrelin in the body), so I'd be very interested to see some scientific basis for the alternative view.

If you can lose weight easily, good for you, but I think it's a bit of a leap to assume that just because it was easy for you it should be easy for everyone. Surely in your medical training you've learned that there is significant variation in the human body.

Even putting aside the issue of genetics, just because a factor is environmental doesn't mean it's easy to change. Many fat adults were fat children as well. I think the childhood indoctrination one receives about "normal" portion sizes and eating habits is hard to override as an adult. If you've never known what it's like to eat normally, it's hard to make a drastic change after 30 or 40 years of ingrained bad habits - and when the effects of obesity are often insidious, there is often no big red warning flag to tell you this is the time to take action.

Most morbidly obese people are suffering in some way from their weight, emotionally or physically. We should be in the business of easing suffering, not adding to it.
It is not like anyone consciously decides, "Man, this chocolate tastes SOOOOO good, I definitely think it's worth it to eat so much of it that I become crippled, socially ostracized, and die young!" For a lot of obese people, the depression and self-loathing that being fat and being hated for it often bring is a huge barrier to even finding the motivation to change.
If you really want to help your patients, you can't come at them with a judgemental and confrontational attitude.
Most fat people have been dealing with hostility all their lives. They expect doctors to hate them - and that is why so many of them avoid seeking healthcare, which means when you finally do see them they'll probably have far more complicated problems to deal with.

Show me someone who has no vices and I'll show you someone who's either hiding something or incredibly boring. :) I'm sure if I analyzed every aspect of your life I could find something to judge you for having not enough "self control" over. Just because a fat person's "sin" is more visible than that of a heavy drinker or a promiscuous person, doesn't mean they deserve to be treated with scorn.

yadayadadude said:
You know, someday you yourself may want a little empathy. Or need a little mercy. Think you'll get it?

Medical students and physicians should be held to a higher standard in regards to health and nutrition than the general population. This is due to their extensive training and knowledge in these areas AND their existence as a role model to patients.

I'd rather be held to a higher standard of humility and love.

BTW, I've never heard anyone so obviously delighted with his own adherence to a high standard of "health and nutrition" who brags about not working out.

This seems to be an issue of body image rather than weight for the OP. Interesting thread. I have some experience with weight issues. When I reached puberty (I'm male, BTW), I gained a bit of weight really fast. My mother gave me endless lectures on how I was going to end up obese and looking like the 500 lb man that we knew. The lectures were very shaming and negative. My mother meant well, but her tack was misguided and it left me with unrealistic expectations for what my body should look like.

I got into good shape in my late 20s and into my 30s. I worked out religiously, tried to watch my diet and constantly obsessed about my appearance. The truth was, no matter how much I worked out, I always felt imperfect. I always saw the layer of fat around my middle and didn't see how strong and healthy my body actually was. I paid attention to height-weight charts (according to them, I was about 20 lbs overweight). I got discouraged and quit going to the gym. (I did hit the "target" weight briefly and discovered that to be a state of illness - not good.)

I realize now that my expectations of what I'm supposed to look like were way out of wack. I was in good shape. No, I didn't have a six-pack. I didn't look particularly good in a swimsuit. But I was healthy, had good muscle tone and a great deal of strength. I've recently started to work on getting that feeling back and I won't care what my waist size is.

So I guess the point of this long-windedness is to take care of oneself. Exercise for the sake of exercise, watch the diet for the sake of health and let your body do what it's supposed to do - even if you won't be doing runway modelling in this life. Those skinny model chicks and dudes are genetic anomalies. Vitality is self-evident and there are better measurements of health than one's degree of curvaceousness.

I think you should look at it as motivation in two ways.

First off, if anyone tries to discourage you and tell you that your weight makes you inadequate for the profession, prove them right and show them you can be the best damned doctor out there ;)

Secondly, it sounds like a good motivating factor to improve your own health as much as possible. You're going to be telling patients how they can be as healthy as possible.. so why not work your best at making yourself the best role model you can be, slowly working toward your healthiest self?

Either way, I say definitely hang in there. Don't give up a lifelong dream by doubting yourself about this. And good luck!

um, the op doesn't look fat to me. :confused:

Hardbody said:
STOP DRINKING BEER ASAP!! Get to the gym, drink zero calori soda and sugar free redbull. Drink Bacardi Rum (I hear that is low calorie), go to the gm, even if it is only for 1/2 hour a day!

Yeah,because aspartame is better for you.

peppy said:
First of all, to the OP, I can definitely reassure you that your weight shouldn't be an issue. I have met plenty of med students who weighed more than you. A lot of Americans nowadays are overweight and docs are, after all, people just like everyone else.

To those who are making judgemental comments about 'self control', please direct me to some research that shows that obesity is purely a matter of having less discipline than other people.
I'm aware of plenty of research that shows the exact opposite (such as the studies showing how ventromedial hypothalamus lesions can cause a formerly normal animal to become obese, twin studies which indicate that weight is genetically influenced, or studies indicating weight loss surgery produces changes in the level of hormones like ghrelin in the body), so I'd be very interested to see some scientific basis for the alternative view.

If you can lose weight easily, good for you, but I think it's a bit of a leap to assume that just because it was easy for you it should be easy for everyone. Surely in your medical training you've learned that there is significant variation in the human body.

Even putting aside the issue of genetics, just because a factor is environmental doesn't mean it's easy to change. Many fat adults were fat children as well. I think the childhood indoctrination one receives about "normal" portion sizes and eating habits is hard to override as an adult. If you've never known what it's like to eat normally, it's hard to make a drastic change after 30 or 40 years of ingrained bad habits - and when the effects of obesity are often insidious, there is often no big red warning flag to tell you this is the time to take action.

Most morbidly obese people are suffering in some way from their weight, emotionally or physically. We should be in the business of easing suffering, not adding to it.
It is not like anyone consciously decides, "Man, this chocolate tastes SOOOOO good, I definitely think it's worth it to eat so much of it that I become crippled, socially ostracized, and die young!" For a lot of obese people, the depression and self-loathing that being fat and being hated for it often bring is a huge barrier to even finding the motivation to change.
If you really want to help your patients, you can't come at them with a judgemental and confrontational attitude.
Most fat people have been dealing with hostility all their lives. They expect doctors to hate them - and that is why so many of them avoid seeking healthcare, which means when you finally do see them they'll probably have far more complicated problems to deal with.

Show me someone who has no vices and I'll show you someone who's either hiding something or incredibly boring. :) I'm sure if I analyzed every aspect of your life I could find something to judge you for having not enough "self control" over. Just because a fat person's "sin" is more visible than that of a heavy drinker or a promiscuous person, doesn't mean they deserve to be treated with scorn.

I concur. Just do the best you can to take care of yourself (eat fruits and vegetable which have antioxidants, drink water so you dont get dehydrated, find fun physical activities to participate in). Since life shouldnt be about deprivation.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with both sides that have been presented thus far:

1. how you look doesnt determine how you function as a doctor. we are not trying to be supermodels here :)

2. i am fitter than ever before currently, and i owe it all to proper food and 30mins of running, daily. fruits + exercise can go a long way.

good luck!

OSUdoc08 said:
Medical students and physicians should be held to a higher standard in regards to health and nutrition than the general population. This is due to their extensive training and knowledge in these areas AND their existence as a role model to patients.

How does he even see all of us down here from that pedestal of his?

Get over yourself.

Doctors are people with problems too.

EUA said:

Get over yourself.

He can see me because I'm one of those fat people he hates. I am a larger target. :rolleyes:

I figure that if you don't want me to be your doctor because I'm fat, then you can see someone else. I'm sure that I will have enough of a patient base to pay the bills, and still enjoy serving them.

EUA said:

Get over yourself.

As evidenced by the existence of this thread. That doesn't make it right. Physicians should set a good example for patients---not a bad one.

Most physicians really don’t know that much about health & nutrition. I have a MS in Nutrition and there really is a lot to learn. How many hours of nutrition does a doctor learn in med school? 15, 20, 40 hours? Most doctors don’t know how vitamins and minerals work in the body. When somebody is depressed, how many times does a doctor check B12 & Magnesium levels? And I am not talking about just a CBC either.

You would think that physicians could learn a little bit about preventive medicine. It should not be a specialty, every doctor should know it. Imagine if people took charge of their health. How many doctors would we need for diabetes, heart disease, cancer, Orthopedics, psychiatry, and the like? What, maybe 75% of physicians would be doing something else. While I believe most doctors don’t want people to get sick, the don’t make money off healthy people. Unfortunately, the way our culture is people won’t stop killing themselves anytime soon. The doctors and the big Pharams have nothing to worry about.

This is all true but there some people that should not be running due to medical complications and walking for 1 hour daily is better than nothing. I had a client that lost 60lbs by just walking 1 hour every day and changing his eating habits (no dramtic diets). He was unable to run because of knee/hip problems.

Paendrag said:
Weight loss outside of metabolic causes (e.g. hypothyroidism) is often a lifestyle/psychological issue. People are simply sedentary and eat too much. They drive to work. They take the elevator to their office. They sit all day. They drive home. They sit on the couch and watch television. All the while, they eat too much. Physical fitness should be an everyday part of life. There is no such thing as not having enough time. Do cardio 20 minutes a day and I mean real cardio. . . you know, the kind where you actually break a sweat and can't talk on your cell phone while doing it. I work out regularly at a gym and marvel at large women walking on a treadmill at a relaxed pace talking on their cellphones. At least they are there, but they aren't accomplishing anything. It's not so bad really, 20 minutes of hard exercise a day. Push yourself. Go as fast as you can maintain within reason on the treadmill. Don't walk. Run. You'll burn several hundred calories that way. That's somewhere in the 2000 calorie range a week. Replace one daily high calorie item a day with something not so high calorie (e.g., a 20 fl oz pepsi is 250 calories, if you drink one a day that's 1750 calories a week you can stamp out of your diet by drinking water instead). Someone earlier mentioned a feeling of women being more selfless (I think that's highly debatable, but for argument's sake let's go with it). Volunteer doing something that requires physical exertion (e.g., walking dogs at a no kill animal shelter). Btw, regular exercise increases available energy, has positive effects on brain function (better executive functions, quicker reaction times), and improves mood. Being fat is bad. It costs taxpayers and the health industry tons of money and it is, for the most part, entirely behaviorally based. If you're fat, change your behavior. Don't go to restaurants and order the giant salad and think you're sacrificing. Don't go to restaurants and order a side salad and a diet coke and go home later and sit on the couch watching Oprah while eating cookie after cookie. Being fat is an indicator of a possible lack of self-control, of self-loathing, and of poor choices. It is truly depressing for those that are for a multitude of reasons.

MeBen said:
You would think that physicians could learn a little bit about preventive medicine. It should not be a specialty, every doctor should know it. Imagine if people took charge of their health. How many doctors would we need for diabetes, heart disease, cancer, Orthopedics, psychiatry, and the like? What, maybe 75% of physicians would be doing something else. While I believe most doctors don’t want people to get sick, the don’t make money off healthy people. Unfortunately, the way our culture is people won’t stop killing themselves anytime soon. The doctors and the big Pharams have nothing to worry about.

there's no money to be made in prev medicine. multi-thousand dollar illnesses and operations is where it's at baby :smuggrin:

preventative medicine doesnt work because patients come in after they have a morbid problem, not before. so theres nothing to prevent

YouDontKnowJack said:
there's no money to be made in prev medicine. multi-thousand dollar illnesses and operations is where it's at baby :smuggrin:

preventative medicine doesnt work because patients come in after they have a morbid problem, not before. so theres nothing to prevent

I can add one thing to that. Even if a doctor does tell someone the things to do before they get sick they still don't listen. How many times has a doctor told someone to lose a few pounds or you will get diabetes and they don't listen?

Granted the doctor is not the best source for this info. You have to really be your own doctor these days.

MeBen said:
Most doctors don’t know how vitamins and minerals work in the body. When somebody is depressed, how many times does a doctor check B12 & Magnesium levels? And I am not talking about just a CBC either.

Okay, I'm curious. I don't understand what a CBC has to do with B12 or magnesium levels. I'm a doctor (an MD) and I think I know a tiny bit about how many vitamins and minerals work in the body. I wish I knew more. I even know that magnesium deficiency has been linked to affective disorders, although there are extremely few therapeutic intervention data and I am unaware of a good blinded clinical, placebo controlled trial in the US or a comparison with other anti-depression therapies.

I am unaware, completely however, of how one would use a serum magnesium level to make a diagnostic or therapeutic decision on the treatment of depression. One conceivably could use other tests such as a magnesium load test, but that too is not reliably tested in terms of outcome and is not clinically practical. So, my question is, what serum magnesium level would you consider as needing a trial of supplementation and, perhaps more relevantly, in the clinical setting of depression, would you not treat someone with magnesium if the serum magnesium was higher than whatever level you decided was low? It seems that these issues should be decided by controlled trials before advocating routine measurement of serum magnesium in the setting of clinical depression.

Here are a few recent references on the topic to ponder

Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2002 Oct;56(5):509-14

J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2004 Spring;14(1):115-22.

Regards

OBP

oldbearprofessor said:
Okay, I'm curious. I don't understand what a CBC has to do with B12 or magnesium levels. I'm a doctor (an MD) and I think I know a tiny bit about how many vitamins and minerals work in the body. I wish I knew more. I even know that magnesium deficiency has been linked to affective disorders, although there are extremely few therapeutic intervention data and I am unaware of a good blinded clinical, placebo controlled trial in the US or a comparison with other anti-depression therapies.

I am unaware, completely however, of how one would use a serum magnesium level to make a diagnostic or therapeutic decision on the treatment of depression. One conceivably could use other tests such as a magnesium load test, but that too is not reliably tested in terms of outcome and is not clinically practical. So, my question is, what serum magnesium level would you consider as needing a trial of supplementation and, perhaps more relevantly, in the clinical setting of depression, would you not treat someone with magnesium if the serum magnesium was higher than whatever level you decided was low? It seems that these issues should be decided by controlled trials before advocating routine measurement of serum magnesium in the setting of clinical depression.

Here are a few recent references on the topic to ponder

Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2002 Oct;56(5):509-14

J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2004 Spring;14(1):115-22.

Regards

OBP

You passed your boards without knowing that B12 deficiency causes a megaloblastic anemia?

Baffling.

OSUdoc08 said:
You passed your boards without knowing that B12 deficiency causes a megaloblastic anemia?

Baffling.

Sorry, I was unclear in that part of the response....A CBC "relates" to vitamin B12 deficiency, what I didn't understand was why he thought a physician woud use the CBC to evaluate depression that they thought was due to B12 or magnesium deficiency. My point was that there are specific tests for these that could be ordered if there was evidence for their utility in evaluating depression.
Regards

OBP

Most Americans are fat. Most American doctors are also fat. Take a look around.

MeBen said:
Most physicians really don’t know that much about health & nutrition. I have a MS in Nutrition and there really is a lot to learn. How many hours of nutrition does a doctor learn in med school? 15, 20, 40 hours? Most doctors don’t know how vitamins and minerals work in the body. When somebody is depressed, how many times does a doctor check B12 & Magnesium levels? And I am not talking about just a CBC either.

You should write a book. There is alot of money to be made in junk science these days. :smuggrin:

Youre decently cute for someone that chubby! go with it.

This is obviosuly not a new issue for you, as noted in the OP. Since it is a "problem" why don't you use that as a motivation to do what you know is necessary?

There are plenty of overweight people in the medical field, that's nothing new. Think of how many nurses and doctors you've seen, how many would measure up to a "normal" for BMI?

Still, take this as an initiative to work out a little more, eat out a little less, and do yourself some good. It would be tough for a patient to see an overweight doctor who's telling him to lose weight, eat better, and lower his BP when the doc herself needs to heed the advice. Still, weight shouldn't deter you from following your studies if that's what you really want to become.

Walk more often between classes, choose grilled instead of fried if you've got to eat out (I know how hard it can be to cook a decent meal when you're swamped with papers, exams, etc) and skip the fries all together.

Start slow and build up that way you're more likely to stick to it.

And, most of all, good luck. No one's perfect, but everyone can try to add a few healthier aspects to their days.

The only thing I would advise is to be in top physical shape for yourself when you enter medical school. The last thing you want is to be out sick and repeat a year or something. Also, make sure you have a good stress management plan so you stay healthy. I think it matters more that you are healthy and able to take care of patients and pull 24 hour call shifts than what your patients think of you.

Have you tried the perricone plan? Its a great lifestyle that may help you if you feel willing, and its easy to stick to while in hospitals because its a lot of fruit, nuts, salads, and lean proteins. Check out this article:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6448213/did/9519939

I still dont understand why the chance of getting laid isnt enough motivation for people to get/stay in shape?? Isnt that supposed to be the basic homeostatic control mechanism? Like fat, less sex, less fat more sex, leading to eating less, working out...what the hell happened here?

We must be broke as a species.

We must be broke as a species.[/QUOTE

Agreed. I suppose many people don't necessarily care enough about themselves to go to the gym, eat right, etc. I'd personally die if I couldn't play sports and work out... that month and a half was hell for me...

Look at the way americans eat though. We are the most obese country in the world. Why? Look at the portion sizes you get when you walk into any restaurant, anywhere. And they're only getting bigger. You may be able to find "healthy" options, which some claim are the lower carb menu items and what not, but are they really decreasing portion size? People from other countries can't even fathom how "large" a small soda is here when you go out to eat. So basically kids get taught how much to eat from an early age. Put the two together, and surprise, millions of obese children all over the place. It's not rocket science, but now we've gotten to the point where genetics and obesity are coming together rampantly. Obese babies?! :scared:

LADoc00 said:
I still dont understand why the chance of getting laid isnt enough motivation for people to get/stay in shape?? Isnt that supposed to be the basic homeostatic control mechanism? Like fat, less sex, less fat more sex, leading to eating less, working out...what the hell happened here?

I've always had better sex when I've weighed more (within reason, of course) than when I have weighed less. Also, bigger breasts...they are essentially fat tissue. You lose the weight, there go the breasts with it.

I think it has to do with partners and their issues. Guys that are fixated on weight as a barometer of health, have a lot of psychosocial issues than make them less pleasant to be around. Those that are more relaxed about weight (within reason of course) , are more pleasant to be around.

And sex should about mutual pleasure....at least, for me, it needs to be.

caroladybelle said:
I've always had better sex when I've weighed more (within reason, of course) than when I have weighed less. Also, bigger breasts...they are essentially fat tissue. You lose the weight, there go the breasts with it.

I think it has to do with partners and their issues. Guys that are fixated on weight as a barometer of health, have a lot of psychosocial issues than make them less pleasant to be around. Those that are more relaxed about weight (within reason of course) , are more pleasant to be around.

And sex should about mutual pleasure....at least, for me, it needs to be.

Gross.

Paendrag said:
Maybe better for you as a woman, but guys have more trouble keeping it up when they're fat.

I don't believe you were responding to me, since I am neither a woman nor fat.

To add to your contention that guys have more trouble keeping it up when they themselves are fat, guys also have trouble keeping it up when the women they are with are fat.

i dont have any respect for fat doctors with losts of fat hangin on them.they don't deserve to give me medical advice when they can't even look after their own heath

OSUdoc08 said:
I don't believe you were responding to me, since I am neither a woman nor fat.

To add to your contention that guys have more trouble keeping it up when they themselves are fat, guys also have trouble keeping it up when the women they are with are fat.

Interestingly tho, chubby (not obese) women seem to be far more uninhibited in bed than model-thin chicks. Almost like they have nothing to prove with no shame and feel free to be a total porn star freak.

Hardbody said:
STOP DRINKING BEER ASAP!! Get to the gym, drink zero calori soda and sugar free redbull.
Sugar-free sodas are the absolute worst if you're trying to lose weight. First thing I do after drinking diet pop is find the nearest refined carbohydrates, because I get hungry instantly (especially with aspartame).

I find that flavored carbonated water (or spring/mineral water) free of sugar or artificial sweeteners are PERFECT.. I'm drinking on peach-flavored bubbly water right now. No carbs, minimal sodium, tastes delicious, and fills you up.

LADoc00 said:
Interestingly tho, chubby (not obese) women seem to be far more uninhibited in bed than model-thin chicks. Almost like they have nothing to prove with no shame and feel free to be a total porn star freak.

This is because they must compensate for their ugliness or the man will leave right in the middle of the procedure.

To the OP (if you're still around)

Find out how many calories you burn naturally. You can get a rough estimate of your basal metabolic rate online here http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ but its better to get hooked up to a machine for a better idea.

From there you'll get a better sense of how much you should eat. You either have to exercise more or eat less to reach the point where you'll lose weight. The healthiest is to do a little of both. You don't need to "give up dessert" but you have to trade off when you can have it. Personally, I hate running but the elliptical is ok. Taking the stairs and parking farther away from the door also help.

You're lucky, because your face is still relatively slim. I've noticed that people don't appear obviously overweight as long as their face isn't fat.

Just trying to work my way up to 1000 posts so I thought I'd offer something from a dental point of view, a personal account of a fat doctor I encountered that had a heart attack in the clinics. The guy was this severely overweight dentist, huge belly, and he'd waddle up to his patients and when he satdown in the chair to inspect their mouths his belly would hang between his legs and almost sag down to his knees - I'm talking morbidly obese. Too many chinese buffets or something. But yeah, I think if you're going to be a doctor, don't be fat as you are supposed to set an example for your patients. Okay, now I'm one post closer to my 1000!

I used to be fat. I mean FAT. I was 5' 10" and 290 pounds. I have since lost about 125 pounds. I am at 165 pounds today. It took me about 1.5 years to do. My motivation: I didn't want to die at 50 (and I wanted to look decent too ;)). My significant weight loss, my understanding of nutrition, and the empathy I feel for overweight/obese people has motivated me to pursue medicine. (I know it sounds lame, but it's true). And I don't know if it's because I paying more attention these days, but many, many people I see are overweight or obese. Is it just me?

To the OP, if you want to get into shape, you can so do it. It's hard, but it's so worth it. Good luck.

OSUdoc08 said:
I think the best diet is a low-sugar diet.

Eat like a diabetic is supposed to, or you will become one.

LOL! I did that...worked out great.

your weight will not matter. Reason: my mom works with an overweight/obese CARDIOLOGIST of all things. if anyone should know better, itd be him. doctors are ppl too, as are the ppl on admission boards. besides, yuo dont even really look that overweight to begin with.