FAU vs. UNR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Photoelectric19

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
UNR
Pros
  • many friends went there who would be able to advise me on how to navigate the school ideally.
  • i wouldn’t have to move across states
  • total cost comes out to be 99K
  • in house psych residency that favors their own candidates (this is an acceptable settling option for me, i have a chronic condition that may stop me from pursuing my preferred current specialty-surgery.)
  • my friends tell me clinical rotations are easier (may be advantageous given my chronic condition)

Cons
  • cold weather
  • I am URM and my URM friends who attended this medical schooll warn me against going
  • Lack of fun activities, diverse population etc, (i dont like skiing, but I am a fan of steak and grilling which they do there)

FAU
Pros
  • Beautiful city, close to Miami
  • offered a scholarship that brought the total cost to 108K
  • Amazing weather
  • much to do, good food, i can learn Spanish better, medical campus is 1.5 miles away from the beach

Cons
  • dont know anyone in the state
  • no friends to help me navigate the program
  • concerned that rotations may be more demanding given my chronic condition
  • Higher cost of living
appreciate your input ! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would be troubled that your URM friends warned against you going to UNR as that could potentially make it very difficult to get through an otherwise stressful time (especially since COA difference is negligible)

How important is it to you to be close to where you already are and know a lot of people (support network)? If you can say, what made them warn against UNR?

Completely a personal opinion, but Miami sounds wayyy more fun than Reno haha. But you can’t go wrong with either choice. Neither school is particularly prestigious. Similar COA. It comes down to family vs location, and sdn can’t really answer that for you haha.

Just wanted to add to the conversation that although you're close to Miami in Boca Raton, it's still roughly 1.5-2 hours away on most days with traffic. Make sure you love Boca/Delray before making a decision. I grew up in that area and absolutely love it. It's not Miami, but it's a lot of fun and young adults