favorite book about medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurotrancer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of your favorite books that discuss the medical school experience?

Members don't see this ad.

So far i have like "House of God", "Complications", and "Becoming a Doctor". Those are the ones that I have read and liked.

Add to the list First, Do No Harm , The Intern Blues , Learning to Play God , A Not Entirely Benign Proceedure , and First Cut .

All are fabulous books and so very true.

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked "White Coat: Becoming a doctor at Harvard Medical School". It's well written, although a little bit cynical at some parts.

i really liked Learning to Play God and The Intern Blues. Both by the same author, but nonetheless good. The Intern Blues is really directed towards the intern experience, but still i thought it was a great look into the medical education system. cheers.

House of God is a classic, must read.

Also, I really dug The Tennis Partner, by Abraham Verghese, MD, a true story about a medical student dealing wtih drug addiction.

I do not have any favorite medical student experience books but I think that every medical student should read "Confessions of a medical heretic" by Dr.Mendelsohn. It really makes you rethink many of your pre-conceived notions about practicing medicne
I also have tremendous respect for Dr.Frances Conley, who is the 4th board-certified woman neurosurgeon in the US. I highly recommend her book "Walking out on the boys", especially if you are a woman looking to go into academia or surgery.

I really enjoyed = A SURGEONS HERITAGE.
The copy I have presently was printed in 1958. Its a must read for med students... I guess. And u may all lay to that.

My favorite medical book:

THE CITADEL. Copyright: 1938
Author: A.J. Cronin

?The Citadel? is an interesting read, as it gives a fascinating insight into the world of medicine in the 1920s. The concluding chapter, especially Manson?s speech somewhere towards the end are brilliant.

I think there is a certain timelessness about the story, and I've always thought the affair he has is somehow symbolic.

House of God is a classic, must read.

For all who loved ?House of God?, make sure you read the sequel?.. ?Mount Misery?

Ive heard mixed things about Mount Misery, havent gotten the chance to read it yet, though.

Ive heard mixed things about Mount Misery, havent gotten the chance to read it yet, though.

granted, it is not as good as House of God, but a decent read nontheless

Originally posted by greatdane
granted, it is not as good as House of God, but a decent read nontheless

Werd, I'll check it during spring break (2 weeks of hell to go :)

House of God is definitely a must read.

Is Mount Misery as good as House of God?

Yeah "House of God" is good, you might also want to check out "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down".

I really enjoyed "Complications" by Atul Gawande, a surgical resident in New York.
Also, "First Cut: A season in the human anatomy lab" and "Becoming a Doctor: A journey of initiation in medical school" are excellent.

Agreed, Intern Blues, Learning to Play God, Kill as Few Patients as Possible (really quite hilarious), *MASH* and Walking Out on the Boys....highly recommended!

Ahhh, and don't forget Bob Marion's other book..."The Boy Who Felt No Pain"! This is a good one for anyone interested in pediatrics....a few tear jerkers, indeed!

how about something inspirational and a little less cynical...I think I need something along those lines, because I'm pretty burnt out right about now...And please don't suggest watching patch adams.

I second the recommendation of Frances Conley's book "Walking out on the boys"... I think that all women entering medicine no matter what field you are considering should read this book...medicine is VERY much still an old boys club with surgery being the WORST...we need to be prepared for what we will encounter!

There is also a REALLY good book edited by Lewis Goldfrank, MD of the ER Deptartment at NYU Med aka - Bellevue - called Emergency Docotr...I believe...

Also, the classic book that we all get at the white coat ceremony, On Doctoring... It is actually really good....

I'm adding "Walk on Water: Inside an Elite Pediatric Surgical Unit" by Micahel Ruhlman. If you want to know what it's like to be a pediatric cardiac surgeon, this is a good book to read. It follows Dr. Roger Mee at the Cleveland Clinic.