Favorite Class in Natural Science Department

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlleghenyPOD

1st Year MD-bound
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are many different deparments of natural science including: Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics, Biophysics, Pharmacology, Neuroscience etc. Share to everyone your favorite classes within the natural science departments in your college career!

Also, what were the kinds of things you learned: the things you liked about and the things that you didn't like about the class.

Members don't see this ad.

Physis because I had a very large and clumsy teacher who would always drop stuff during his presentations and half the class was spent watching him chase after marbles.

LOL! "chase after marbles" now is that referring to him literally chasing marbles? or is that an anectdote referring to his lunacy? :laugh:

So you like physics huh? Ah you crazy physics lovers! My favorite class was probably Limnology with my junior seminar advisor because the class was an upper division class and there was literally only about 12 people in our seminar. The study of limnology is focused on lakes, streams, ponds: subject matter focuses on their formation by glacial escalades, the biomass present in the said water bodies and the effects of human colonization has affected the symbiosis in the habitat--per se the effects of increased nitrogen and phosphorus levels in the eutrophication of lakes and pervasive growth of nitrogen fixing eu/bacteria--and health/environmental depravation that has on the local toxicology and ecology.

One reason why i loved the class:
1) We were in the lakes most of the time taking core analysis/sampling..beautiful time..and got to swim/wade around in streams and the river
2) Independent study: professor let us utilize standard techniques as well as gave us autonomy in projects
3) The male to female ratio in the class. Loved having to work with the ladies...:love:

+++++++

Side note: swimming was 'encouraged', lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Literally. He would set up marbles to collide or run down a ramp to show momentum or whatever and they'd always miss and go out the door and down the hall.

Best day of class ever:
For physics 2 I changed professors and the first day of class this guy brings out a board with hundreds of nails sticking out, lays down on the bed of nails, puts a board on himself and one of those big concrete blocks ontop of this board. Then he asks for a volunteer to hit the block on his chest with a sledgehammer. I gladly volunteered of course, for how often do you get to hit a professor with a hammer? So he tells me to make sure and hit the block hard enough to break it, otherwise it hurts even worse. So I walk up front, grab the hammer and raise it up high. I imagine he was probably questioning his career choice around that second, but I didn't hesistate to bring the sledgehammer down and shatter the block. Everybody gasps. I take the board off him and the concrete bits with it. He stands up, everybody claps.
I still have no idea what he was trying to demonstrate.

Thats a funny story Catayst!

My favorite class was anatomy (lab portion). I had the greatest TA ever!! She was beyond awesome. We actually just had a barcrawl for my lab group and my TA didn't make it to the last bar....wasn't feeling well....so we had to call her husband. BEST TIME EVER!

I loved microbiology labs, you get to mess with all sorts of bacteria, and the IMViC tests are array of colors

Literally. He would set up marbles to collide or run down a ramp to show momentum or whatever and they'd always miss and go out the door and down the hall.

Best day of class ever:
For physics 2 I changed professors and the first day of class this guy brings out a board with hundreds of nails sticking out, lays down on the bed of nails, puts a board on himself and one of those big concrete blocks ontop of this board. Then he asks for a volunteer to hit the block on his chest with a sledgehammer. I gladly volunteered of course, for how often do you get to hit a professor with a hammer? So he tells me to make sure and hit the block hard enough to break it, otherwise it hurts even worse. So I walk up front, grab the hammer and raise it up high. I imagine he was probably questioning his career choice around that second, but I didn't hesistate to bring the sledgehammer down and shatter the block. Everybody gasps. I take the board off him and the concrete bits with it. He stands up, everybody claps.
I still have no idea what he was trying to demonstrate.

LOL! That is so totally badass!! god id be too scared to do that..like what if i hit too hard? or what if i missed the intended object and hit him (accidentally) on the head or on the crotch area....??...:scared: :(

Props to you for volunteering like that, haha

I figured I couldnt be held responsible for a couple broken ribs as I was a volunteer lol, so I really laid into him. Turns out by breaking the block it lessens the force by increasing time of impact. Yay physics!

I loved Organic Chemistry! My professor used to randomly show clips of his favorite Simpsons episodes and then relate them to what we were learning, haha.

For me, Neurology. I really loved a couple Neuro classes I took.

Main reason is because of my professor. I feel that everyone has that 1 professor that really changes a students outlook on a certain subject- my Neuro teacher was that one for me. When a professor just has a pure passion for a subject it shows through his/her teaching. He just made me so interested in the subject. I took another 4 Neuro classes after his class just because he did such a fantastic job turning me on the subject.

I loved Organic Chemistry! My professor used to randomly show clips of his favorite Simpsons episodes and then relate them to what we were learning, haha.

That sounds pretty funny, but I would need alot more then simpsons to like ochem.

#1 is definelty advanced anatomy. I dissected out the cadavers for the kids in intro anat.

Loved medical micro.
Also loved biochemistry. It was nice to finally have a class where the chemistry applied to something besides keto-enol tautomerism :laugh: