Favorite Dental Word

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd break up the monotony of "My Chances" and "Interviews" threads with a bit of fun shamelessly jacked from the pre-allo forum.

What's your favorite dental word?

Mine is buccal!

Members don't see this ad.

handpiece

just because everyone's so anal about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cavitron............Reminds me of Transformers.

haha... yea.. or Deltron of Deltron Zero.

i like palpate, and labial. as in i want to palpate your labial ridge.:D

Definitely a toss-up between "masticate" and "pulp cavity."

Simply no other options. ;)

ooh
what about
"mesial-buccal-lingual"
Saw a root canal today. it's a bloody mess, but oh-so very exciting. I just wanted to jump right in and tried my hand at it hehe :)

For those who have dental experiences, forgive me. This is my first day shadowing and I'm still on a high from the experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
ooh
what about
"mesial-buccal-lingual"
Saw a root canal today. it's a bloody mess, but oh-so very exciting. I just wanted to jump right in and tried my hand at it hehe :)

For those who have dental experiences, forgive me. This is my first day shadowing and I'm still on a high from the experience.

All I can say is a surgical extraction is just as interesting. If you're assisting, you're just suctioning EVERYWHERE.

how about frenum

All I can say is a surgical extraction is just as interesting. If you're assisting, you're just suctioning EVERYWHERE.

sadly I didn't get to assist, but it's still cool just watching!

Temporomandibular joint (TMJ): This fancy sounding word appears everywhere

Parotid, sublingual and submaxillary glands: what the $%^% is the difference

front tooth

I like occlusal. :D

Temporomandibular joint (TMJ): This fancy sounding word appears everywhere

Parotid, sublingual and submaxillary glands: what the $%^% is the difference

just a slight differences:)

Thought I'd break up the monotony of "My Chances" and "Interviews" threads with a bit of fun shamelessly jacked from the pre-allo forum.

Mine is buccal!

Actually right now it's

"accepted!"

Mine is buccal!

foreskin

Nitrous.....def. my fav.:cool:

Bard Parker - I used to work with a Prosthodontist who had a thick accent, and for the LONGEST time I really thought he was calling this instrument the name of the host of "Price is Right."

How about the names of some other instruments:

Hoe, Chisel, Explorer, Excavator...

I wonder what the patients think when they hear this? hahahahahaha

i love gold tooth

Bard Parker - I used to work with a Prosthodontist who had a thick accent, and for the LONGEST time I really thought he was calling this instrument the name of the host of "Price is Right."

How about the names of some other instruments:

Hoe, Chisel, Explorer, Excavator...

I wonder what the patients think when they hear this? hahahahahaha

A dentist I shadowed once had a patience who owned a construction company. When he asked for the spoon excavator, the pt freaked out and said "you're using an EXCAVATOR on me?!" (thinking of his enormous machinery.) So now the dentist called the instrument after the guy's first name, much to the confusion of any assistants who knew the real name for it. :laugh:

"Cerec" ... maybe not the coolest word by itself... but it's the coolest machine i've ever seen!

Oh and definitely "Bone file"...always gives the patient a nice feeling to hear that one.

"trimming your box"...you wouldnt want your distal box to go untrimmed :)

**heard an instructor say this at a training course and Ill admit I snikkered

cusp of Carabelli :cool:

I think Dentistry has some of the best terminology out there. Everything sounds like its out of Lord of the Rings

I think Dentistry has some of the best terminology out there. Everything sounds like its out of Lord of the Rings

An ancient handpiece thought lost for centuries has been found, and through a strange twist in fate has been given to a small Hobbit named Frenum. When Gutta Percha discovers the Ring is in fact the One Ring of the Dark Lord Cavitron, Frenum must make an epic quest to the Cusps of Carabelli in order to destroy it! However he does not go alone. He is joined by Gutta Percha the Grey, Labial the elf, Obturate the Dwarf, Prophylaxis, Amalgam and his three Hobbit friends Parotid, SubMaxillary and Sublingual. Through mountains, snow, darkness, forests, rivers and plains, facing evil and danger at every corner the Fellowship of the Handpiece must go. Their quest to destroy the One Handpiece is the only hope for the end of the Dark Lords reign!

I think you're on to something!

I like Veneer

An ancient handpiece thought lost for centuries has been found, and through a strange twist in fate has been given to a small Hobbit named Frenum. When Gutta Percha discovers the Ring is in fact the One Ring of the Dark Lord Cavitron, Frenum must make an epic quest to the Cusps of Carabelli in order to destroy it! However he does not go alone. He is joined by Gutta Percha the Grey, Labial the elf, Obturate the Dwarf, Prophylaxis, Amalgam and his three Hobbit friends Parotid, SubMaxillary and Sublingual. Through mountains, snow, darkness, forests, rivers and plains, facing evil and danger at every corner the Fellowship of the Handpiece must go. Their quest to destroy the One Handpiece is the only hope for the end of the Dark Lords reign!

I like Veneer

:clap:

I like Veneer

Told ya! I think with enough time on your hand you can produce a whole movie script

I like Veneer

Congratulations, you just proved once and for all that predents are bigger nerds than premeds. I think I'm going to go drink myself stupid now...

Congratulations, you just proved once and for all that predents are bigger nerds than premeds. I think I'm going to go drink myself stupid now...

No....we're just the most creative! Here's my favorite...uvula!