Favorite Psychology Related Quotes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll post mine up in a bit, I'm finishing some research, but this idea popped in my head....so have at it!

-t

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I have to give two. I love Rogers:

This process of the good life is not, I am convinced, a life for the faint-hearted. It involves the stretching and growing of becoming more and more of one's potentialities. It involves the courage to be. It means launching oneself fully into the stream of life. - Carl Rogers

The greatest paradox is that it is only after I accept myself, just as I am, that I can change. - Carl Rogers

Members don't see this ad :)
Why some of us do what we do...

Ever more people today have the means to live, but no meaning to live for. --Viktor Frankl

“You can hold back from the suffering of the world. You have free permission to do so and it is in accordance with your nature. But perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could have avoided.”

-Kafka

Not a psychology quote per se, but I find it very appropriate when someone asks how I can study something so "depressing."

I am somewhat of a quote collector. These are some of my favorites:

"You can have no impact on society until you first change yourself." ~Nelson Mandela

"In insanity, we do not discover anything new and unknown; we are looking at the foundations of our own being, the matrix of those vital problems on which we are all engaged...." ~Carl Jung

"My life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatsoever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no 'brief candle' to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations." ~George Bernard Shaw

Not all psychology related, but the Shaw quote gives a lot of explanation as to why I am in the field.

"The meeting of personalities is like the contact of chemical substances; if there is any reaction, both are transformed." - Carl Jung

"Symptoms, those you believe you recognize, seem to you irrational because you take them in an isolated manner, and you want to interpret them directly." - Jacques Lacan

“A clear and complete insight into the nature of madness, a correct and distinct conception of what constitutes the difference between the sane and the insane has, as far as I know, not been found.”​
-Schopenhauer, The World as Will and Idea

Just because everyone now seems to have forgotten just how relavent he is....

The problem with psychologists is that they forget that they are human first and psychologists second.

A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten.

I did not direct my life. I didn't design it. I never made decisions. Things always came up and made them for me. That's what life is.

If you're old, don't try to change yourself, change your environment.

Society attacks early, when the individual is helpless.

The consequences of an act affect the probability of it's occurring again.

The way positive reinforcement is carried out is more important than the amount.

B. F. Skinner

A gem from my own area of research:

"A choice of a partner in a sexual relation becomes more significant only because society demands that there be a particular choice in the matter, and does not so often dictate one’s choice of food or clothing” (Kinsey, Pomeroy, and Martin)