Favorite Quick Recipes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vitamin_Ng

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm sure most of you guys barely have time to eat, much less sleep in between all the classes and studying. i'll be a 1st yr this fall-- i know i'll have to overhaul my time management skills, but i also don't want to be reduced to eating tv dinners/fast food/mac 'n cheese every day.

so what are your favorite quick recipes-- things that can be prepared and consumed w/in 30-60min? (healthy would be a plus!)

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome thread idea. I love making tostadas with corn tortillas, hot sauce and a little melted cheese. Just get large flat cooking surface (an oven or flat pan will do), and put the hot sauce on top of the small corn tortillas and then sprinkle cheese. Top with lettuce and tomatoes and that's a pretty good dinner. Cooked chicken can be added as well as pre-cooked black beans.

Def. get a crockpot. You put in frozen meat and whatever else you like...by the time you get back from school, it'll be ready and tender. Prep time is like 5 minutes and it takes all day (about 5-6 hours) to simmer and cook.
My fav. is chicken and salsa.

Members don't see this ad :)
I enjoy making bruchettas- bread, diced tomatoes, herbs and olive oil

Thai food is pretty easy cause you can get frozen veggies-oil, sauce and a little red pepper. You can add meat or tofu if you like

Falafals are pretty easy also

pratik7 said:
Thai food is pretty easy cause you can get frozen veggies-oil, sauce and a little red pepper. You can add meat or tofu if you like

Falafals are pretty easy also

Actually Thai food is not easy to make if you want real Thai food. Sometimes it's an all day ordeal. Sure cooking fried rice is fairly easy but if you want to enjoy other dishes then you'll have to put some effort into it.

Eggs are great - just keep some ham lunchmeat (or breakfast sausage), onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc., & cheese in the fridge and you have great omlettes in about 15 minutes. Other quick ideas for breakfast dinners, a box of bisquick for pancakes or waffles...then all you need is some jam or syrup.

I also like to make potatoes. You can bake them (microwave = 5 min) and top with salsa or sour cream, you can hash them in a pan (15 min), or you can:

chop them into fries, shake in a bag with a little olive oil, spread them on a pan and sprinkle with chili powder/ red pepper/ salt, or whatever and bake for 30 min at 350 turning once or twice.

Good snack: Box of crackers, some cream cheese, and fruit slices, I like apples or grapes. Or crackers and some tuna or chicken salad with some cold vegetable slices, I like cucumber or green pepper. Buy an air popper and pop your own corn, sprinkle with ms dash or spices (that way you don't get the heavy butter/calories from the bagged version).

The george foreman grill is a lifesaver as well, you can make burgers, hot dogs, chicken breast and have minimal cleanup.

These are my best but I'll try to think of some more!

Larsitron said:
Awesome thread idea. I love making tostadas with corn tortillas, hot sauce and a little melted cheese. Just get large flat cooking surface (an oven or flat pan will do), and put the hot sauce on top of the small corn tortillas and then sprinkle cheese. Top with lettuce and tomatoes and that's a pretty good dinner. Cooked chicken can be added as well as pre-cooked black beans.

cool cat

This is the best thread idea EVER, since I'm the queen of frozen food and takeout and I'm getting sick of it, but I hate to cook!

My favorite easy dinner is pasta. Get your favorite kind and a jar of sauce. All it takes is the time to boil the water. If you really want to get fancy you can add chopped vegetables or meat, and get a ready-made salad. You can't go wrong!

Here are some easy and extremely healthy desserts:

-Freeze some grapes, cut up bananas, strawberries, or your favorite fruit in zip-loc bags. Ready to go and great for summer.

-You can also take the frozen fruit and blend it with a cup of milk or yogurt, sweetener, and crushed ice and get a smoothie.

-Make a parfait by layering yogurt and fruit. Garnish with mint.

-(Good in winter); Boil cranberries until they pop and get mushy. Mix with sugar or artificial sweetener to taste. Eat warm. Cranberries are high in antioxidants and aren't just for Thanksgiving.

-Eat a pomagrante. Takes forever, but it is so much fun having the seeds pop in your mouth.

Have fun experimenting.

--Carolyne

Most of you will probably think this is really gross, but I saw a guy that lived at my dorm make this and somehow I got the guts to try it. Just put peanut butter and dill pickle slices (like for hamburgers) on bread and it makes a delicious samwich. A good variation is using crackers and putting PB and pickles on it for snacks. Trust me it is awesome. Don't knock it till you try it!

Not quite a recipe but there is nothing easier than heating up Campbells chunky soup :)

coharahawk said:
Most of you will probably think this is really gross, but I saw a guy that lived at my dorm make this and somehow I got the guts to try it. Just put peanut butter and dill pickle slices (like for hamburgers) on bread and it makes a delicious samwich. A good variation is using crackers and putting PB and pickles on it for snacks. Trust me it is awesome. Don't knock it till you try it!

ha! sounds like something a pregnant woman might crave.

ok, here is my contribution: shrimp w/ feta and orzo

1. get a bag of pre-cooked, deveined shrimp. heat, add seasoning.

2. cook orzo (or couscous, etc.). i like to add onions and bell peppers.

3. mix everything together w/ feta cheese.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a light lunch: pita and cous-cous or hummus... mmm....

Also good for snacks:
- sliced veggies w/ veggie dip
- wheat thin crackers
- cheese sticks
- jello cups

Microwave corn-on-the-cobb. Leave the husks on and microwave it for 5 minutes at 50% power. The husks keep the moisture in, so it ends up perfectly steamed.

Then there's my favorite indulgence, microwave s'mores: break a graham cracker in half, put two rectangles of plain Hershey's chocolate on each half, put a marshmallow on one half, microwave on high for 15 seconds and smush the two halves together. Yum!

Another good, quick recipe--Kim's Chicken: place frozen boneless chicken breast in a 9x9 pan, pour olive oil over the top till it's nicely coated, then sprinkle McCormick's Italian Spice mix, lemon pepper and garlic salt on top. In the leftover space, add one can of green beans, some Ore-Ida Crispy Crowns, and bake for 35 minutes at 400F. Plus, if you line the pan with aluminum foil, you don't even have to clean up afterward. Yeah, that's how much I hate cleaning.

Grilled cheese sandwiches are easy, too. I usually make them with one slice of cheddar and one slice of swiss. If you happen to have a tomato, it's a nice addition.

funny, i was just thinking about this the other day, how i haven't cooked a proper meal for the past three months...

my two cents: it's AMAZING what you can do with Cup-A-Soup and fresh veggies. reconstitute the soup in your bowl with hot water and just chuck in some mushrooms, canned corn, chick peas, baby spinach, whatever you've got lying around, and the veggies wind up all cooked in the soup and add some reality and nutrition to the whole dehydrated food thing.

oh and toasties. thin lavash bread, whack as much baby spinach on there as it will hold, sprinkle cheese/salt/pepper on top, fold it over, and nuke it. under 1 minute prep, i swear.

and just to rant for a quick moment, I HAVE BEEN LIVING NONSTOP ON THIS NONSENSE SINCE FEBRUARY, and i CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK TO NORMAL FOR AWHILE! yack! even stir fry and barbecue sounds gourmet!

1/2 cup of oatmeal, (Get the one-minute type)
frozen cranberries or blueberrries,
sliced almonds/hazalenuts/black walnuts (Azar Brand, come pre sliced)
water and sugar to your preference
2-3 min.

Makes awesome breakfast.

this really may be the greatest thread ever....
if I am short on my 5 vegtables and time...
I make up a pot of either couscous (5-10 min) or rice pilaf (25 min) and steam some vegtables on stove top.... just throw some broccoli, greenbeans, or pretty much anything else in season... steam for 10 min...
nothing magic but fills you up.

I am a Peanut butter addict... right out of the jar...
I am not so sure abt the pickle thing

I cook a large pot of rice in the rice cooker, and a pot of mixed dried beans twice a week and eat leftovers all week.

The rice I start with onion, garlic sautee, then add rice and wine, cook a lil, then add water or stock, rasins, carrots cook till done.

The beans you can get in the store in bulk and they are cheaper than the cans and will make you fart less. Soak them overnight in plenty of H2O, rinse out in the morning, put in a pot with plenty of water (no salt, garlic is okay) on low with the lid on, go to class, at lunch the beans are done.

Now I take those two ingrediants and eat them like non stop, frequently I chop up spinich and if I am being creative, meat, salsa or steamed veggies. I know it is boring eating beans and rice but it gets the job done.

Mornings are definitely eggs and toast, or oatmeal. I know this all sounds like a lot of work but when just cooking leftovers, it only takes 3 minutes to be eating yummy food, and it only takes a hour twice a week to cook the beans and rice.

Crepes!!!

Mix crepe batter (flour butter milk egg etc), make a thin crepe on a frying pan, fill it with strawberry jam and then roll it up. For dinner crepes you can also fill it with cheese, eggs, ricotta, cheddar cheese, fruit, etc etc.

The healthyness depends on what you put inside and how much butter you use. The entire process takes about 10 minutes.

Actual recipes:
http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/0rec/06crepes.htm

Boboli pizza!

Buy the Boboli pizza crusts (or you can buy pillsbury pizza dough), top with your favorite toppings, and throw in the oven for 8-10 minutes. It really is THAT easy.

You can mix it up by making bbq chicken one week, classic pepperoni the next, veggie the following week... you get the picture. You can buy pizza sauce and italian-spiced shredded cheese, so it is delicious and quick.

Bon appetit! :)

I think the last thing I cooked was something I kinda made up but am sure has been done before.

Chicken stir-fried with tomatoes and thinly sliced potatoes dumped onto a bed of cous-cous. It was pretty good and takes less than an hour to make and eat. I'm just too lazy to cook anything nowadays.

coharahawk said:

I thought only my family was weird enough to eat PB/Dill Pickle sandwiches! :laugh: They are great and a must try even if it does sound gross!!! Yummy...I am craving one now that you said that.... :love:

there's a couple threads on this already, with some great recipies.

i live by my crockpot. chili, chicken, spaghetti sauce, stews...i can make a vat of something and eat it for a week, or freeze it for exams. i've also been known to make lasagnas and other casserole-type things and freeze them in individual servings...stick it in the over for about an hour at 350 on a foil-lined pan, serve with a can of veggies or a salad and yay it's a brainless dinner with minimal clean up.

i also eat a lot of "pasta dump"...whole wheat pasta combined w/whatever i happen to have. diced tomatos, cannellini beans, onion, pepper, red pepper flakes, olive oil, spinach, carrots...whatever. pasta+a jar of sauce gets really old, really fast, so i add stuff to it. you certainly don't have to live off ramen for 4 years!