Favorite responses upon hearing you are going to vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh good, you'll be our personal vet and we can get free vet care!

thumbsdown.gif

My Dad said this EXACT thing to me yesterday. Nevermind the fact that I never plan on moving back to my hometown.

Members don't see this ad.

From a girl in one of my sophomore year college classes.

"Oh I just transferred into animal science cuz I think I want to be a vet and go to vet school. I think I'll try to get my GPA up to a 2.0 this semester to have a better shot."

Btw, this girl skipped class a lot all semester, and the class I had with her was animal nutrition.

Sounds like a real winner.

There's a guy in my Ecology class right now who got 22% on the midterm (on an A/B/C/D multiple choice test), and is still convinced he can get into dental school.

Yeah. Good luck with that.

(Sorry, that was a little off-topic. But nothing new for these forums, right?)

Sounds like a real winner.

There's a guy in my Ecology class right now who got 22% on the midterm (on an A/B/C/D multiple choice test), and is still convinced he can get into dental school.

Yeah. Good luck with that.

(Sorry, that was a little off-topic. But nothing new for these forums, right?)

I got a 35ish on a biochemistry test :)scared:) and seem to have made it... with that said, it does take some skill to get less than probability on a test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw that last week and thought of this thread :laugh:

I can't believe I forgot to add this on here...

When I got rejected from Cornell, this girl I work with said,
"It can't be that hard to just sneak in the classes... no one would know." :ninja:

:eyebrow::whistle::prof::hello::whoa:

One of those on that blog is mine. :) Product of UC Davis Vet Med 2015!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Went to an orthopedic surgeon today to see what she could do about my knee and if it could be done before I start vet school. When I left, she said, "Congrats future doctor." Nice to see that she recognizes vets as doctors. :thumbup:

Apparently there is a veterinary school in northern Idaho. I should apply there and join my neighbor's cousin, who is also going to school there to become a veterinarian (and not a vet tech, heavens no!).

Apparently there is a veterinary school in northern Idaho. I should apply there and join my neighbor's cousin, who is also going to school there to become a veterinarian (and not a vet tech, heavens no!).
For a second I didn't know you were being sarcastic :laugh: I was like "Uh.... no......" :D

My personal favorite "HAHAHA gooodluck getting a job, I hope you enjoy being poor with a butt-ton of debt, see this is why I'm SLEEPING with a doctor, much smarter" - what a sweet girl.

haters gonna hate.

I gracefully removed myself before causing a scene. Ignorance is bliss right? She must be a very happy individual.

http://ourlifeinvetschool.tumblr.com/post/23562473016/when-a-friend-says-vet-school-thats-two-years

"When a friend says, "Vet school, that's two years, right?"

(see the link, it's awesome!)

Lol!!! that is hilarious!!
But anyway, I usually get good responses along the line of "that's a good profession to go into"

But, it's sad to see all of the ignorant responses that people have received. I think everyone needs to understand more about the profession so maybe business will be better.

Members don't see this ad :)
My personal favorite "HAHAHA gooodluck getting a job, I hope you enjoy being poor with a butt-ton of debt, see this is why I'm SLEEPING with a doctor, much smarter" - what a sweet girl.

Wait, she gets paid for that? Pretty sure that profession is illegal ;)

Actually, all the "human med" people I know were very impressed and extremely respectful of the profession. I have not had a single MD/DO student or resident ever talk down to me - in fact, quite the opposite.

That is so encouraging to hear. The summer between my junior and senior year of high school I did this intense (as intense as something can get in high school, I suppose :p ) science/medicine summer program through a local hospital, and most everybody wanted to be a human doctor or get their PhD and go into research. This was of course fine and to be expected given the nature of the program, but all except for one or two (including the instructors!) responded like this whenever I mentioned anything -remotely- vet med related:

tumblr_m4t3smQopX1rpyt5d.gif

It was quite frustrating, and left me wondering if the majority of those in the human medical field look down on the veterinary field that much as well. So, it's very nice to hear otherwise. :)

Last edited:
That is so encouraging to hear. The summer between my junior and senior year of high school I did this intense (as intense as it can get in high school, anyway :p) science/medicine summer program through a local hospital, and everybody else wanted to be a human doctor or get their PhD and go into research. This was of course fine and to be expected given the nature of the program, but all except for one or two (including the instructors!) responded like this whenever I mentioned anything -remotely- vet med related:

tumblr_m4t3smQopX1rpyt5d.gif

It was quite frustrating, and left me wondering if the majority of those in the human medical field down on the veterinary field that much as well. So, it's very nice to hear otherwise. :)

All the human cardiologists from my previous job were very supportive of me going to vet school. Hopefully the people you met will change their minds with time :)

Went to an orthopedic surgeon today to see what she could do about my knee and if it could be done before I start vet school. When I left, she said, "Congrats future doctor." Nice to see that she recognizes vets as doctors. :thumbup:

It sounds like human doctors respond pretty positively compared to laypeople. Tell the average family member or friend that I got in, and I get the classic "that's two years, right?", or the "so-and-so is going to *local community college* for the same program!" or the "why not a human doctor", etc etc etc. My mom works with a lot of "people doctors", though, and all of them are very impressed that I got into vet school. I think they have a better concept of the amount of work and dedication that it takes.

And it just happened AGAIN hahaha

All the human cardiologists from my previous job were very supportive of me going to vet school. Hopefully the people you met will change their minds with time :)

I've had similar supportive responses from folks in human med. Matter of fact, last weekend in my cab ( I drive a taxi ) I had two dentists show more support and professional respect during their five minute cab ride than most of my non med friends have all year. They were even joking with me that I may want to keep driving after graduation to help pay off those crazy student loans. :laugh: It was nice NOT to have to hear, "Oh, you're gonna be a vet?? You're gonna be rich!! They make so much more than human doctors!! " Uh.... Not really.Thanks for perpetuating that myth tho.

I've had similar supportive responses from folks in human med. Matter of fact, last weekend in my cab ( I drive a taxi ) I had two dentists show more support and professional respect during their five minute cab ride than most of my non med friends have all year. They were even joking with me that I may want to keep driving after graduation to help pay off those crazy student loans. :laugh: It was nice NOT to have to hear, "Oh, you're gonna be a vet?? You're gonna be rich!! They make so much more than human doctors!! " Uh.... Not really.Thanks for perpetuating that myth tho.

I get that one way more than the vet-school-is-2-years-right comment. Most of my non-med friends tell me how I'll be making 6 or 7 (yes 7) figure salaries right out of vet school or that I can repay loans in less than 3 years. :lame: *sigh* My brother also assumes I can fix our family dog, and so he gets really, really mad at me when I tell him, "Let me go ask the VET!"

Though on the bright side, my ortho doc and the docs my mom knows (she's an NP) are all respectful of the position and had encouraging words for me.

The best one I got though was when one of my profs commented on the final paper for the class. Instead of "blah blah blah about the paper", she just said, "When you're in school and wondering what the heck you got into...PERSEVERE! (with that emphasis). Don't forget that you have so much to offer!" I'm pretty sure I started crying right then. :love:

Last edited:
Favorite response so far: It sounds like a grand idea!
Least favorite response: Well, if it is too hard you can always quit. (That's my family's mentality and why it took me until I am 40 to get up the courage to pursue it.)

This is only sort of related.

My stethoscope fell out of my bag the other day at my fiance's house, and my future father-in-law - who has seen me prepare for vet school for the past 5 years of my life, who has heard about the trials and tribulations involved, and who has cheered there right along with me when I got my acceptances - looks at it and goes "Oh wow, that's like, a real stethoscope!"

-sigh-

Yes, and I use it to listen to real heartbeats. :rolleyes:

My mom's a physical therapist and she gets the same kind of responses all the time... things like: "Oh yeah, I was thinking about getting my personal trainer certification too":smack:

I guess ignorance about the difficulty of the medical field exists in all facets unfortunately...

Today at WalMart while I was buying my supplies:

Cashier: "So are you a teacher?"
Abber: "No, I'm going to vet school."
Cashier: "Oh, med school? That's hard right? So much school."
Abber: "No, Vet school. VETERINARY school."
Cashier: "Oh, well that's better, then, right? Just out of high school, are you?"
Abber: "No, I already have a bachelor's degree. I get to do 8 years of school and have 2 degrees to be a vet."
Cashier: "Seriously? Just for pets?"
Abber: "Uh, yeah. It sucks. Haha."

**eye roll all the way out to my car with my collection of 3" binders and highlighters.**

Side note: I ALWAYS want to put "hilighters" and not "highlighters."

Today at WalMart while I was buying my supplies:

Cashier: "So are you a teacher?"
Abber: "No, I'm going to vet school."
Cashier: "Oh, med school? That's hard right? So much school."
Abber: "No, Vet school. VETERINARY school."
Cashier: "Oh, well that's better, then, right? Just out of high school, are you?"
Abber: "No, I already have a bachelor's degree. I get to do 8 years of school and have 2 degrees to be a vet."
Cashier: "Seriously? Just for pets?"
Abber: "Uh, yeah. It sucks. Haha."

**eye roll all the way out to my car with my collection of 3" binders and highlighters.**

Side note: I ALWAYS want to put "hilighters" and not "highlighters."

What a wanker

Aunt: You'er a research assistant now. Not the main researcher?
Me: Just an assistant
Aunt: But when you go to vet school, then you will be rich, right?
Me: Yup!
Aunt: Becaue you goingto get yourself a doctor while in vet school! You are so smart!
Me: Yup!

Relatives: What school you plan to go to (then rattle of nearby schools that don't have vet programs)?
Me: They don't have the program
Relatives: So, you have to move away again? Just for vet school? You just can't stay here? Couldn't you go to (community college with vet tech program or university with animal science degree)?
Me: Because I want to be a vet
Relatives: What is the difference? You still be working with animals.

Friend: So your job will pay for you to go to vet school, right?
Me: Why would they do that?
Friend: Because you work for them.
Me: When I go to vet school, I won't be. But why would they anyway?
Friend: Some jobs pay for employees to get a PhD.
Me: I'm not getting a PhD.
Friend: Then why are you going to vet school?
Me: To play with animals
Friend: Huh? (moment of silence) I'm confused.
Me: So am I.

I had the best cab driver yesterday.... we were chatting about dogs. He was really into cocker spaniels and bulldogs and I was talking to him about the different health issues. Really nice guy and dog lover. He was like you must be studying veterinary medicine... yep! He said - that is so much harder than medicine as doctors only have to learn the human body and you have to learn all of the different species.... fair play to you. Veterinary medicine is a very well respected field over here in Ireland and it is harder to get in than medicine and everyone knows it which helps. They have to have higher scores on their leaving certs to get into vet med then med.

omg. I have probably gotten these responses a hundred times each:
"Oh thats like an associates degree right?"

"Family member: Can you come over and help me with my dog? He isn't feeling very good today. Me: I could look up stuff on the internet I guess. But you should take them to a vet. Family member: BUT you are a vet. Me: Shakes head..."

"Oh I applied to these 3 programs for vet school, but didn't get accepted." Person names 3 vet tech schools.

I get this from my MD friends all of the time "Vets can specialize?":idea:

My son's pediatrician upon telling her I was going to vet school in the Fall: "OH NO! Go to med school, not vet school. You can play with and own all of the animals you want after med school."

My dad was against me going to vet school for so long until he started telling people about it and they explained to him how big of an accomplishment this was.

Upon hearing that I made it into veterinary school my ophthalmologist said,
"Congratulations! I hear veterinary school is hard to get into. Maybe you will become a veterinary ophthalmologist. Did you know that field now exists?" :)

"Congratulations! I hear veterinary school is hard to get into. Maybe you will become a veterinary ophthalmologist. Did you know that field now exists?" :)

:love: :love: :love:

From another veterinarian, "you should have done medicine or dentistry"

On my way home to FL last year, I ended up in a middle seat and I was pissed... ten minutes later I found out I was sitting between two veterinary ophthalmologists who are flown around the world to treat sea lions. They were on their way back from Australia Zoo and she showed me about 300 pictures. I was so flipping excited!! Then I found out she had been to the clinic I just left (when I moved) for a lunch and learn, and THEN found out she is the wife of the neurologist we always referred to. They both gave me their business cards, pep talked me about vet school , and told me to call them during 4th year :love:

On my way home to FL last year, I ended up in a middle seat and I was pissed... ten minutes later I found out I was sitting between two veterinary ophthalmologists who are flown around the world to treat sea lions. They were on their way back from Australia Zoo and she showed me about 300 pictures. I was so flipping excited!! Then I found out she had been to the clinic I just left (when I moved) for a lunch and learn, and THEN found out she is the wife of the neurologist we always referred to. They both gave me their business cards, pep talked me about vet school , and told me to call them during 4th year :love:

That is so awesome!!!