Favorite small animal, aquatics, or exotic animal externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sofyloo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am trying to plan out where to do my externships (I am in UF vet school but am willing to travel) and I was just wondering if any of you guys had really awesome experiences during any small animal, aquatic, or exotic animal externships that you would recommend. I am kind of overwhelmed with the amount of options and would really like to go somewhere where people have had good experiences/really liked the vets/felt like they learned a lot/liked the location. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I did an externship at the Detroit Zoo, it was awesome. It would be quite the trip from Florida but there were 3 vets there and they were all great to work with. The zoo is pretty big and they have a great avian/reptile and especially amphibian collection, so its something different. The hospital is new and they have great standards of care there. More info from the AAZV: http://www.aazv.org/?361