FBI Internship for psychology grad students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

affectiveH3art

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone participated in this summer experience? Is anyone familiar for what positions are open for a psychologist in the FBI?

Members don't see this ad.

First rule of the FBI: Don't talk about the FBI...

I have not participated in these type programs, but I seriously doubt anyone would provide details (over the internet) if they have any commitment to the FBI, past or present.

I do know they are highly competitive and they usually approach you somehow (my brother was approached by the Bureau as an undergrad, but he did not go through with the training and is an attorney now).

Good luck finding info...ergo your first lesson in detective work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone participated in this summer experience? Is anyone familiar for what positions are open for a psychologist in the FBI?

summer experience? Sounds like camp. I have never heard of it, could you post a link?

I would assume positions would mainly focuing on psychological evaluations/recerts and fitness for duty type stuff.

A friend of mine interviewed for this. He/she thought the screening process was hilariously aggressive and quit.

by his/her description it is not a normal polygraph. More of a Reid interview with a polygraph.

by his/her description it is not a normal polygraph. More of a Reid interview with a polygraph.

1. ARE YOU A CLOSET ROSCHACH FAN!! ARE YOU!!!

2. Look kid, we know you are, we have your DNA all over the butterfly. Just tell us the truth and we will help you out....

Reactions: 1 users
A friend of mine interviewed for this. He/she thought the screening process was hilariously aggressive and quit.

The background check and interview process is/was ridiculous. I was recruited by a number of the three-letter agencies back in my consulting days and it is/was obnoxiously thorough. You have to list every single place you have ever lived and then they send agents/representatives to interview your friends, family, employers, landlords, known associates, etc. The process can take up to a year or more just to gain security clearance….and in that time you get interviewed by a host of people. Defense contractor positions involving "sensitive" jobs have a similar process.

ps. Psychology jobs with the FBI are not like TV. The senior investigators are almost always agents w. a bunch of specialized training.

:slow clap:

A Goonies reference. Well-played.

Indeed.

The background check and interview process is/was ridiculous. I was recruited by a number of the three-letter agencies back in my consulting days and it is/was obnoxiously thorough. You have to list every single place you have ever lived and then they send agents/representatives to interview your friends, family, employers, landlords, known associates, etc. The process can take up to a year or more just to gain security clearance….and in that time you get interviewed by a host of people. Defense contractor positions involving "sensitive" jobs have a similar process.

ps. Psychology jobs with the FBI are not like TV. The senior investigators are almost always agents w. a bunch of specialized training.

Indeed.

I've heard this too, though from people who applied for other FBI positions. One guy I know has a PhD in chemistry and was like screw this....

Just to be clear, everything I wrote about was related to full-time employment with the FBI (and similar 3 letter agencies). I have no idea about their internship; I'm guessing they will limit exposure so security clearance probably won't be as strict as being an employee.

According to their website, security clearance is quite extensive. Apparently, they offer a position after internship is complete if they are impressed with you. Or so I've "heard"

I mean it depends what you want out of a career. If you want to work for an organization like this there are certain hoops to jump through. I guess its a cost benefit analysis like any other job.