FDI system of numbering teeth is THEE BEST

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ogopogodude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will never understand why dental schools and dentists in certain countries use those awful tooth numbering systems OTHER than the FDI system.

The FDI system is SO EASY and universally acceptable (around the world). It reminds me of the metric system. It is easy, .... so easy.... Anyways, ...

Members don't see this ad.

I will never understand why dental schools and dentists in certain countries use those awful tooth numbering systems OTHER than the FDI system.

The FDI system is SO EASY and universally acceptable (around the world). It reminds me of the metric system. It is easy, .... so easy.... Anyways, ...

'Murica!

I really don't see how it's any easier for adult teeth... maybe it is for deciduous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here in Canada, ... ALL dentists use the FDI system. When we talk about tooth #12, for example, ... this means it is the upper first quadrant, .. second tooth from the midline. ...ie lateral incisor.

Down south, our American dentists, ... when they say tooth number 12, ... virtually ALL Canadian dentists do not know what tooth they are talking about. Really, ...I'm not kidding.

During a seminar, if the lecturer happens to be Amercian, ... and he says a certain tooth #, (if there isn't photos to relate with his speech) guaranteed ALL Canadian dentists in the audience automatically get this bewildered look on their faces, ... I kid you not.

Here in Canada, ... ALL dentists use the FDI system. When we talk about tooth #12, for example, ... this means it is the upper first quadrant, .. second tooth from the midline. ...ie lateral incisor.

Down south, our American dentists, ... when they say tooth number 12, ... virtually ALL Canadian dentists do not know what tooth they are talking about. Really, ...I'm not kidding.

This seems like a problem with the FDI system. For us, each tooth has one number which solely belongs to that tooth. In the FDI system, 4 teeth have the same number. You then have to clarify by stating which quadrant. Maybe I'm missing something with it, since ortho uses it too.

This seems like a problem with the FDI system. For us, each tooth has one number which solely belongs to that tooth. In the FDI system, 4 teeth have the same number. You then have to clarify by stating which quadrant. Maybe I'm missing something with it, since ortho uses it too.

every tooth has a two digit number. the first digit indicates the quadrant, and the second digit indicates how far from the back it is. so tooth number 12 is 1=first quadrant, and 2= second tooth from the back. Thus, every tooth has only one number.

I should probably add: tooth number 12 in FDI is 2 to the rest of us I think (If I remember correctly haha)

Actually ...WRONG ... ABSOLUTELY WRONG. PERIOD. Four teeth do not have the same #.If I am wrong, ... give an example,.... I am not out to disagree for the sake of disagreeing...

FDI: The first number designates the quadrant the second number the actual tooth in the arch starting from the midline, ... Oh how much more simple can one get, ... It really is an easy system.

Actually ...WRONG ... ABSOLUTELY WRONG. PERIOD. Four teeth do not have the same #.If I am wrong, ... give an example,.... I am not out to disagree for the sake of disagreeing...

FDI: The first number designates the quadrant the second number the actual tooth in the arch starting from the midline, ... Oh how much more simple can one get, ... It really is an easy system.

All centrals are #1. All laterals are #2 all canines are #3 and so forth until you get the the 3rd molars. So to narrow it down you put either a 1, 2, 3, or 4 in front to designate which quadrant. ...It actually can get more simple. You simply start with the upper right most tooth and work your way around the mouth 1-32. I guess to each their own, but I don't see how FDI is easier. Don't get me wrong, if someone talks to me using the FDI system, I know exactly what teeth they're referring to. It's just not "easier."

In 'Murican schools, we learn all the teeth numbering systems

...but I don't see how FDI is easier. Don't get me wrong, if someone talks to me using the FDI system, I know exactly what teeth they're referring to. It's just not "easier."
Exactly. They both pretty simple; I don't see why one would be preferred over the other.

I should probably add: tooth number 12 in FDI is 2 to the rest of us I think (If I remember correctly haha)

Upper right 2
Or universal it's #7.

I'm sure whichever system someone learns is the one they think is easier to work with. I think everyone here who knows the universal system like the back of their hand only memorized it so well through experience (using it often). Thus you hear "#29" and instantly know it's the lower right 2nd PM. We all know how to use FDI but when I for instance hear "17" I don't necessarily know in a split second that it's the upper right 2nd molar (#2). I have to take a moment to think it through logically. Had I been using this system all along, the upper right 2nd molar would BE 17 just like I think of it now as BEING #2.

Upper right 2
Or universal it's #7.

I'm sure whichever system someone learns is the one they think is easier to work with. I think everyone here who knows the universal system like the back of their hand only memorized it so well through experience (using it often). Thus you hear "#29" and instantly know it's the lower right 2nd PM. We all know how to use FDI but when I for instance hear "17" I don't necessarily know in a split second that it's the upper right 2nd molar (#2). I have to take a moment to think it through logically. Had I been using this system all along, the upper right 2nd molar would BE 17 just like I think of it now as BEING #2.

Your right, it starts from the midline lol (number 12=7). I learned the FDI system a while ago but I never used it so I never totally remembered the details of if :D The only time I really would ever resort to it is for baby teeth... :thumbup:

It's really pretty simple. Very quickly you'll adapt and use all the time the tooth identification system that insurance companies use in paying you for your work ;):D:idea::laugh:

I am just starting out DS right now, and yes they are requiring us to learn the "universal" (cough cough only USA), FDI, and Palmer.

FDI is by far the easiest to learn.

But in reality, all 3 are easy enough to learn, just FDI is easiest to memorize.

Just for a reality check here. For most of us the alphabet was tough to learn at first. But after a bit of practice, it became quite easy (okay it did for most of us atleast ;):laugh: )