Fear of Discrimination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you guys for all your thoughtful responses. Im not scared away by what you guys said lol. I don't want to get into a political discussion but I just want to point out that not more than .01% of Muslims participated in the recent demonstrations. Ur talking about 1.4 billion people and even if 10,000 people riot they can give the wrong impression about all muslims. That being said, I have gotten to hear both sides and it seems to me that as long as I clarify what I did in the organization, which is usually respected given that it's on most university campuses, then I should be ok. Please let me know if u see it differently. Again thank you all for your advice

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you guys for all your thoughtful responses. Im not scared away by what you guys said lol. I don't want to get into a political discussion but I just want to point out that not more than .01% of Muslims participated in the recent demonstrations. Ur talking about 1.4 billion people and even if 10,000 people riot they can give the wrong impression about all muslims. That being said, I have gotten to hear both sides and it seems to me that as long as I clarify what I did in the organization, which is usually respected given that it's on most university campuses, then I should be ok. Please let me know if u see it differently. Again thank you all for your advice

:thumbup:

Yes, I completely agree.

One thing I learned in this thread is that people really don't actually read any other posts before they post.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is phrased incorrectly.

You said that you might be discriminated against because you're Muslim, since admissions committees see your affiliation with the Muslim Student Association.

You should have said that you might be discriminated against because you're affiliated with the Muslim Student Association, which has had its office members connected to terrorist funding, anti-semitism, and terrorist organization recruitment.

:slap:

No MDforYOU!!! Too much Fox news I see.

Adcoms do NOT negotiate with terrorists.

You got it spot on buddy. As long as you describe what you did in the organization as respectable, and why it has made you a better person, and will make you a better physician, you're golden.

:) Good luck!

:slap:

No MDforYOU!!! Too much Fox news I see.

An aside...I understand that the general consensus is; that FOX news isn't "fair & balanced'. But, the same can be said about CNN, ABC, NBC and CBS. It's generally acknowledged that our news channels are at best slightly biased and at worst manipulate & distort the truth to further their political "message". So if you truly want to balance your news information...you need to watch both ends of the spectrum. Myself, I watch ABC & FOX news, then decide for myself where the truth lies (no pun intended ;)).

An aside...I understand that the general consensus is; that FOX news isn't "fair & balanced'. But, the same can be said about CNN, ABC, NBC and CBS. It's generally acknowledged that our news channels are at best slightly biased and at worst manipulate & distort the truth to further their political "message". So if you truly want to balance your news information...you need to watch both ends of the spectrum. Myself, I watch ABC & FOX news, then decide for myself where the truth lies (no pun intended ;)).

The other day NPR ran a story with a researcher who had subjected the question of bias in news media to "statistically rigorous analysis". Guess what level of bias he assessed NPR at? :rolleyes:

Also, I think Fox News tends to get a bum rap. Sure, they have folks like Hannity and Huckabee and the Five, but everyone understands that those are explicitly opinion shows. As far as reporting/journalism, with folks like Brett Bair (who notoriously unsettled Romney in their warehouse interview a few months ago) and Shepard Smith (anyone else seen that video of him cursing on the air when someone was saying US military using torture might be justified in some cases?), they've got a decent line-up of respectable journalists. Christopher Wallace is probably my favorite journalist, period. Love Fox News Sunday.

There are good journalists all around; finding a good news source is more than just listening to the right station or watching the right channel. It's also about knowing who is worth listening to on each channel you tune into.

Last edited: