Fear of Needle Stick!! Or else I would go for surgery as a profession.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fj25

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have this underlying fear of being poked by a needle. At our hospital, it seemed like a good number of patients had HCV or HIV and I've seen alot of seasoned docs get poked. I know the rate of transmission is low but I am afraid. Once you got it, you got it! The gift that keeps on giving.

Today I got splashed in the face with lidocaine that came out through the skin. I didnt do anything right away but then I started getting anxious and went to occupational health and had to get tested after the case then had to call the attending to get patient's consent. Patient already left the hospital. It set off so many alarms that I was ready to quit anything surgical right then and there. AIDS for nothing? I rather get it from having sex. You know? go out with a bang!

Has anyone else given this some thought? I figure I might be safe in radiology or anesthesiology, where there is a more control environment of needles and stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

fj25 said:
I have this underlying fear of being poked by a needle. At our hospital, it seemed like a good number of patients had HCV or HIV and I've seen alot of seasoned docs get poked. I know the rate of transmission is low but I am afraid. Once you got it, you got it! The gift that keeps on giving.

Today I got splashed in the face with lidocaine that came out through the skin. I didnt do anything right away but then I started getting anxious and went to occupational health and had to get tested after the case then had to call the attending to get patient's consent. Patient already left the hospital. It set off so many alarms that I was ready to quit anything surgical right then and there. AIDS for nothing? I rather get it from having sex. You know? go out with a bang!

Has anyone else given this some thought? I figure I might be safe in radiology or anesthesiology, where there is a more control environment of needles and stuff.

In surgery I'd worry more about blades - especially if my dissection partners were any indcation (get in their field and you could lose a digit).

Anesthesia frequently starts lines so you'll have needles.

Diagnostic Rads doesn't do much (ducking)

Considered therapy?

you will get stuck as a resident and probably when you're an attending as well. I'm ~5 weeks into intern year and have had a stick already. It just happens. Double glove and hope your patients are clean :)

You'll probably be drawing lots of blood in most specialties outside of surgery, you know.

Hi there,
Almost five years of General Surgery residency and no needle sticks. I also double glove and watch my sharps very carefully. There is risk in driving your car to work every day even if you work in an office.

njbmd :)