Fed Loans Available?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md_student2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Does anyone know what types of lfederal loans are available for medical students and their limits? From what I've gathered, you can get a subsidized stafford for up to $8500 a year if you've got need, an unsubsidized Stafford for up to $10,000 without need, maybe another 20k or so unsubsidized if you're school participated in the now defunct HEAL program and maybe a Perkins loan for $4000. Still waiting for fin aid packet to come in and pretty worried b/c I've got some major expenses to cover (like i my prev. posts) with only a little time to go and almost no money of my own to do it with.

KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can get more than that based on your school's estimated living expenses plus tuition. My school allowed for about 31K a year and 8500 is the max in subsidized.

daisygirl

woof
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school budgeted me for $34,650 worth of unsubsidized stafford. I didn't get any subsidized b/c of my EFC (which stipulated that I should contribute ~64,000- no this is not a joke and no I am not rich).

I wouldn't worry too much about loans. Once your in a med school, med schools seem to do everything within their power in order to help you finance the cost of med school.