Fed up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fyi411

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone sick and tired off the work u have to do just to get into a MD school?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Just wait until you get in.....med school actually makes getting into med school look pretty easy....

Members don't see this ad :)
It's tough, but there are more difficult things in life, trust me. Of course there will be times that test you... Oh yeah. But if you are truly committed, you'll dig deep and keep on going. ;)

I really don't think it's that bad. Of course I haven't actually been through an application cycle, but I have a pretty good idea of what it's going to be like. I've somewhat enjoyed all of the hard work I've had to do so far - it keeps me focused and motivated. As a doctor, hard work is something you can't be afraid of.

Anyone sick and tired off the work u have to do just to get into a MD school?:confused:

I'm with Dookter on this one. I'm really sick and tired of the work I have to do IN med school.

I can see how the uncertainty might be sickening, but I think humans are instinctually drawn to battles. Life's boring if you're not fighting for something.

Anyone sick and tired of lame threads like this?
Of course we are. But we're also sick and tired of pre-meds complaining because of "too much work." There are so many pre-meds that I have difficult classes with (Physics, Organic, Upper-Level Biology) that will not stop complaining about the workload, etc. I just want to go up to them and ask if they think med school is going to be any easier. I'd love to see their response.

My message to complainers: suck it up and deal with it in your own way. EVERYONE has to go through with it, so your suffering in no way makes you unique.

*chad5871 steps down off of his soap box*

nothing good in life comes easy

It depends on what kind of work you're talking about being fed up with. If you're talking about pre-med coursework- well, that just comes with the territory and it's only a small taste of what lies in store.

As for the rest...I am growing very weary of the application process. I certainly wouldn't call applying "work," but I do find it somewhat aggravating that I've done almost everything within my power to prepare myself for medical school and I can't get in. I think it's mostly just my naivete; my youthful fantasy that being an honorable person, being dedicated to a goal, and excelling in academic studies would one day count for something. I never for a second underestimated what deciding to be a physician entailed- I considered the ramifications for months before even mentioning it to my parents and friends. The difficulty of medical school, the expense, residency, a doctor's lifestyle, "loosing" so many years of my youth in pursuit of a single career, problems with patients, problems with insurance companies, problems with lawsuits...just watch the news each day to find another problem with practicing medicine. I thought that accepting these things and dedicating myself to this profession would be the most significant challenge- and maybe it will be one day, but I never would have imagined just getting into medical school would be so difficult.

Don't get me wrong- I don't blame the system. There are many medical schools that receive 5000+ applications for < 200 spots. There is no reason to expect that it should be easy to be in the top 4% of a group of people who already believe themselves qualified to apply to medical school. Still, it doesn't stop it from being frustrating, the fact that my greatest challenge right now is simply being allowed to begin the study of medicine.

I really don't think it's that bad. Of course I haven't actually been through an application cycle, but I have a pretty good idea of what it's going to be like. I've somewhat enjoyed all of the hard work I've had to do so far - it keeps me focused and motivated. As a doctor, hard work is something you can't be afraid of.

You might have a good idea of the protocol to applying, but you cannot fully understand how aggrevating it is w/o being in the process. I'm tellin you... every time you open up a rejection letter, you die a little inside (Ok, so I have a flair for the dramatic, but it sucks pretty bad).

can i get a nickel every time someone on the pre-allo board begins the sentence "As a doctor..." ??????

i'd settle for a penny. :smuggrin:

My message to complainers: suck it up and deal with it in your own way. EVERYONE has to go through with it, so your suffering in no way makes you unique.

*chad5871 steps down off of his soap box*

I happen to be a big proponent of complaining. That IS my way of dealing with it. I think some people call it 'letting off steam'. I call it a lifestyle. *shrugs* So yes, Sick of It All, indeed. ;)

Just wait until you get in.....med school actually makes getting into med school look pretty easy....

I dunno, while there are a lot of scary stories, every single med student I met at my high school reunion made it sound like it wasn't a big deal. Of course, one goes to Yale so there's no pressure, lol.

Still, they said it was so structured that you can't really fall behind. But then again my high school was filled with type A students anyway, so who knows what not bad is.

I dunno, while there are a lot of scary stories, every single med student I met at my high school reunion made it sound like it wasn't a big deal. Of course, one goes to Yale so there's no pressure, lol.

Still, they said it was so structured that you can't really fall behind. But then again my high school was filled with type A students anyway, so who knows what not bad is.

I think for many people, myself included, it's not the workload that's so difficult, it's the waiting, and waiting, and waiting. :(

I think for many people, myself included, it's not the workload that's so difficult, it's the waiting, and waiting, and waiting. :(

:thumbup: :thumbup:

agreed.