Quantcast

federal Stafford loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missdentistry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey,

I was just going through the federal Stafford loan.

To be eligible for a graduate Stafford Loan, you must meet the following criteria:

* Be enrolled as a full- or half-time graduate student.
* Be a U.S. citizen, national, or an eligible non-citizen. An eligible non-citizen is a permanent resident of the United States able to present evidence from the Immigration and Naturalization Service that he or she is in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of becoming a citizen or permanent resident.

what does eligible non citizen means> Can any one throw light on this? I am on visa dont have Gc. Am I eligible non citizen? please explain!

La fea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was just going through the federal Stafford loan.

To be eligible for a graduate Stafford Loan, you must meet the following criteria:

* Be enrolled as a full- or half-time graduate student.
* Be a U.S. citizen, national, or an eligible non-citizen. An eligible non-citizen is a permanent resident of the United States able to present evidence from the Immigration and Naturalization Service that he or she is in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of becoming a citizen or permanent resident.

what does eligible non citizen means> Can any one throw light on this? I am on visa dont have Gc. Am I eligible non citizen? please explain!
Eligible non citizens are permanent residents, political asylees and the like. This is an over simplification though. If your green card is in process I would consult the school.

People w/ F, H, J, L are not "eligible non citizens"

docasrpa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If ur green card is in process and u have a Emplyoment Auth Card , Advance Parole document and ur 485 is pending..u r eligible noncitizen or PArolee. This is what I know.

missdentistry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks La fea and docsarpa, For ur prompt reply!
I am on L2 visa so have SSN and employment authorisation also my GC is in process! I think that would make me an eligible citizen right?

La fea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks La fea and docsarpa, For ur prompt reply!
I am on L2 visa so have SSN and employment authorisation also my GC is in process! I think that would make me an eligible citizen right?
Did the employment authorization come as a part of the GC process?

Even people on F1 get employemnt authorization (OPT period) as do some other visa classes. Its not quite the same as what you get with the GC steps. Confirm it for sure.

gowri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If ur green card is in process and u have a Emplyoment Auth Card , Advance Parole document and ur 485 is pending..u r eligible noncitizen or PArolee. This is what I know.

Those who have ead through green card process, are they eligible for federal stafford loan. please help?

shaaka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made some enquiries few years ago and they will give these loans to GC holders.If something is changed now i dont know.