Federal undergrad loan payment in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medshpep2021

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, so I'll be starting med school next summer/fall 2021. I currently have 15k of federal subsidized loans from undergrad standing. I'll be graduating undergrad next month (December) and taking a semester of time off before medical school begins. I assume I'll use up my six month grace period for the federal subsidized loan during that gap semester, and if so, can these still loans go into deferment (0% interest) in med school since I will be enrolled full time?

Also, the current due date on these federal loans for me is sometime in 2022. However, after I enter med school, my understanding is that they would automatically be deferred and the due date would extended to way after 2022 until I finish med school and enter residency? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, so I'll be starting med school next summer/fall 2021. I currently have 15k of federal subsidized loans from undergrad standing. I'll be graduating undergrad next month (December) and taking a semester of time off before medical school begins. I assume I'll use up my six month grace period for the federal subsidized loan during that gap semester, and if so, can these still loans go into deferment (0% interest) in med school since I will be enrolled full time?

Also, the current due date on these federal loans for me is sometime in 2022. However, after I enter med school, my understanding is that they would automatically be deferred and the due date would extended to way after 2022 until I finish med school and enter residency? Thanks!
Yes. Deferred.