Fee Assistance Program and Secondary Fee Waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liquidshock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am qualified for the Fee Assistance Program (FAP), does that mean that I am qualified for the secondaries fee waiver?
Or, do I have to be considered disadvantaged?
Am I considered disadvantaged if I qualify for FAP?

Members don't see this ad.

Liquidshock said:
If I am qualified for the Fee Assistance Program (FAP), does that mean that I am qualified for the secondaries fee waiver?
Or, do I have to be considered disadvantaged?
Am I considered disadvantaged if I qualify for FAP?

If you qualify for FAP I do believe all the schools are notified of this fact and most will waive secondary fees. Disadvantaged doesnt matter for secondary fees though one might suspect that it would, I suppose because it is self proclaimed and does not necessarily have to deal with finances. Qualifying for FAP now doesnt necessarily mean you are "disadvantaged", the criterion AMCAS puts forth is your family's status before age 18, so if you recieved FAP based on a development in your financial state that took place over the past few years the answer is no.

Thank you!!! :D

Doc.Holliday said:
If you qualify for FAP I do believe all the schools are notified of this fact and most will waive secondary fees. Disadvantaged doesnt matter for secondary fees though one might suspect that it would, I suppose because it is self proclaimed and does not necessarily have to deal with finances. Qualifying for FAP now doesnt necessarily mean you are "disadvantaged", the criterion AMCAS puts forth is your family's status before age 18, so if you recieved FAP based on a development in your financial state that took place over the past few years the answer is no.

Members don't see this ad :)
Q: I plan to take MCAT in August 2008. When should I be applying for fee waiver ? And when applying, am I supposed to hear back from AAMC to see whether I'm eligible for waiver BEFORE I go ahead and register for MCAT test date ??

Q: What does it mean by "Non-taxable income received in 2007" on the FAP app ???? Does it include financial aids, tuition aid... ??????

Q: I plan to take MCAT in August 2008. When should I be applying for fee waiver ? And when applying, am I supposed to hear back from AAMC to see whether I'm eligible for waiver BEFORE I go ahead and register for MCAT test date ??

You can apply now, I believe the waiver is good for one calendar year. The processing can take quite a while. Yes you must qualify for FAP and be approved before registering. If you register and pay the full MCAT fee you will NOT be retroactively refunded.

Q: What does it mean by "Non-taxable income received in 2007" on the FAP app ???? Does it include financial aids, tuition aid... ??????

Do not include income you have already reported as income earned from work. Some examples of non-taxable income are as follows:

* Cash support or money paid on your behalf
* Estimated value of goods or services (such as free room and board provided by a relative or through financial aid)
* Social Security benefits (untaxed portions)
* Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC or ADC)
* Welfare benefits (federal, state, or local)
* Unemployment compensation (untaxed portions)
* Worker's compensation
* Veteran's benefits
* Housing, food, and other living allowances, such as those provided to military or clergy (including cash payments and cash value of goods and services)
* Medical expenses paid by third parties
* Any other income or benefits not entered or included elsewhere

So Non-taxable income includes things such as: food, housing, expenses ?!
What about college loans + aid ???