fee waivers for secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnysnow7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't apply for FAP to waive my primary fees. However, I know I could have qualified because my family income is below the poverty line. If I turn in my AMCAS apps without applying for FAP, am I still eligible for waiving the fees for my secondaries? Are the secondary fee waivers through the schools or AMCAS?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

umm a FAP doesn't necessarily give u a waiver for 2nds, however alot of school will say fee waived if AMCAS waived it. I think it would be diffcult to get it without having FAP. But why not apply now? It would mean u lose some money on primaries butn you'd have it in time for secondarys.:luck:

I lagged and now I can't be approved for FAP in time to turn in my primary first week of June. So now I need to figure things out in time for secondaries. :(

Can I still apply for FAP after I submit my primary? Or can I apply for FAP but turn in my primary and have it verified before approval for FAP?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I lagged and now I can't be approved for FAP in time to turn in my primary first week of June. So now I need to figure things out in time for secondaries. :(

Can I still apply for FAP after I submit my primary? Or can I apply for FAP but turn in my primary and have it verified before approval for FAP?

Thanks!

FAP does not apply retroactively (I looked into it for MCAT this year)

From the FAP website ( http://aamc.org/students/applying/fap/faq.htm )
Can I submit my AMCAS application or my MCAT registration prior to receiving Fee Assistance Program approval? FAP does not offer fee assistance retroactively: To receive the benefits of FAP approval, you must wait to receive a decision on your FAP application before submitting your AMCAS application or registering for the MCAT. If you submit your AMCAS application prior to receiving FAP approval, FAP benefits will not be applied to your AMCAS processing fees, including medical schools to which you apply after receiving FAP approval.
I received FAP approval after submitting my AMCAS application or registering for the MCAT. Am I eligible for a refund?
No. FAP does not offer fee assistance retroactively, and you will not receive a refund for AMCAS or MCAT registration fees paid prior to FAP approval.

If your application isn't marked with FAP, I doubt the schools will bother to waive the secondary fees.

It only takes 2-3 weeks. They may be able to rush it if you ask. It's not the kiss of death to apply (if you get all your paperwork FAXED in on this Mon or Tues) in the last week of June. Many schools don't start reviewing until later than that. It'll just slow down your secondary prompts, but you can just write them in advance for the schools that send automatics.

What's the difference between submitting June 5th, taking 2 weeks to write the essays and sending them in the end of June vs writing the essays in the meantime and turning around those automatic secondary prompts the next day (after applying in late June)?

One problem: I attempted to apply for FAP, but ended up withdrawing it because I needed to sign up for my MCAT before they got back to me. How do I undo that so I can apply again?

Or, if I am willing to pay for the primary apps, can I still file for FAP so schools can waive their secondaries?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The FAP is such bull****! You practically have to be living in a cardboard box to qualify! Apparently my dad's 40k per year salary is too much for me to qualify :mad:.

I didn't apply for FAP to waive my primary fees. However, I know I could have qualified because my family income is below the poverty line. If I turn in my AMCAS apps without applying for FAP, am I still eligible for waiving the fees for my secondaries? Are the secondary fee waivers through the schools or AMCAS?

Thanks!

no, you will need that amcas approval to get the waiver from schools for secondaries. are you sure its too late??

no, you will need that amcas approval to get the waiver from schools for secondaries. are you sure its too late??
as the great character just said, you need to get the approval through AMCAS first

although if its too late, you could potentially petition each school independently

it would be a lot of work though, but you could save a lot of money

The FAP is such bull****! You practically have to be living in a cardboard box to qualify! Apparently my dad's 40k per year salary is too much for me to qualify :mad:.

I concur wholeheartedly. As someone who is married, supports my spouse while she is a full-time student, and is completely financially independent of my parents, I find it absolutely ridiculous that I am required to enter my parents financial information when they won't and haven't provided me with a penny for years. I called and asked AAMC about my situation and they told me that even if I was a 45 year old married individual with four children who makes $15k a year , I am still required to enter my parents information.

I emailed AAMC whether or not I can undo my withdrawal of the application. Hopefully I can. Do I automatically get approved/denied after I enter my data in the FAP application, but the information just needs to be verified before I get the waivers? It would be nice to know if I can even get approved before waiting 3 weeks to get verified. Shame on me for procrastinating!

Thanks!

I emailed AAMC whether or not I can undo my withdrawal of the application. Hopefully I can. Do I automatically get approved/denied after I enter my data in the FAP application, but the information just needs to be verified before I get the waivers? It would be nice to know if I can even get approved before waiting 3 weeks to get verified. Shame on me for procrastinating!

Thanks!

You don't get approved right away because you have to send in supporting documents like tax forms if you filed and parents stuff if they filed. once you turn that in they review it and email you with an answer. I got approved and it took them a bout a week to get back to me. But this was a couple of months ago. It might be slower now. God bless!

You don't get approved right away because you have to send in supporting documents like tax forms if you filed and parents stuff if they filed. once you turn that in they review it and email you with an answer. I got approved and it took them a bout a week to get back to me. But this was a couple of months ago. It might be slower now. God bless!

May I ask what your numbers were so I can guess whether or not I should lose a few weeks before submitting my app? If you aren't comfortable stating, mine was 17K and my dad's was 19K and family size is 4. I know my dad's income is below the poverty line, but I don't know if they take my income into account, too.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask what your numbers were so I can guess whether or not I should lose a few weeks before submitting my app? If you aren't comfortable stating, mine was 17K and my dad's was 19K and family size is 4. I know my dad's income is below the poverty line, but I don't know if they take my income into account, too.

Thanks!

Its cool, I made a stunning 4k and my mom doesn't work, She is a homemaker. I don't really speak to my father so I only used my mothers stuff and mines. Alos make sure that you remember that the information they are asking for is for the academic year 2007-2008, not the fiscal year.

Its cool, I made a stunning 4k and my mom doesn't work, She is a homemaker. I don't really speak to my father so I only used my mothers stuff and mines. Alos make sure that you remember that the information they are asking for is for the academic year 2007-2008, not the fiscal year.

props to you :)

FYI for those who are on the same boat as me: once you withdraw your FAP application, no matter what the reason, you can not reapply until the following calendar year. Bummer. However, you can contact the schools you are applying to for their secondary fee waivers. The lady I spoke to from AAMC told me that the schools fee waivers are not necessarily linked to theirs. Hope this helps!

Without fap i'd be working for another year before I could apply so whoa there.

OP, There is about 0.01% chance you'd get a secondary waiver without FAP (even with it I had to pay 2/14 secondary fees), it might be better for you to wait out the 2-3 weeks to get the fee waiver than apply early and not be able to apply to the schools you need because you can't afford it.

Without fap i'd be working for another year before I could apply so whoa there.

OP, There is about 0.01% chance you'd get a secondary waiver without FAP (even with it I had to pay 2/14 secondary fees), it might be better for you to wait out the 2-3 weeks to get the fee waiver than apply early and not be able to apply to the schools you need because you can't afford it.

I'd wait, but unfortunately they won't unwithdraw my FAP application :( I'm just crossing my fingers that the schools will waive my secondaries, otherwise, I don't know what I can do. Sigh....

For future reference, and from my personal experience, I would not recommend withdrawing your FAP application. I submitted my FAP app but felt the pressure to register for MCAT before FAP approval, and so I paid the regular full price for my MCAT. But since then, I've been approved, and now everything I do from now on will be under "FAP approval-ness", so I can submit my AMCAS application, or retake the MCAT (I really hope not...only 28 more days to get my score!) or whatever and I will get the reduced FAP pricing.

As far as timeline goes, I think my approval seemed pretty fast after sending in tax documents (definitely less than 3 weeks...but can't remember exactly).

Good luck!

If someone could help clarify this to me, that would be awesome. If they are asking about academic year (Aug07-Jun08), how do I provide proof of only that since our tax stuff is for fiscal year. The reason why I ask is that I had a job during Jan'08 to Sep'08, and therefore no income during Oct'08 to now. But then they ask for my AGI for last tax year. ..... Isn't that how they verify -- through tax returns? Thanks in advance for your comments/response.

Oh, and how long does it typically take to get approved/rejected?

For future reference, and from my personal experience, I would not recommend withdrawing your FAP application. I submitted my FAP app but felt the pressure to register for MCAT before FAP approval, and so I paid the regular full price for my MCAT. But since then, I've been approved, and now everything I do from now on will be under "FAP approval-ness", so I can submit my AMCAS application, or retake the MCAT (I really hope not...only 28 more days to get my score!) or whatever and I will get the reduced FAP pricing.

As far as timeline goes, I think my approval seemed pretty fast after sending in tax documents (definitely less than 3 weeks...but can't remember exactly).

Good luck!

Damn, I didn't think I could sign up for the MCAT while the FAP app was being verified. Live and learn....

No need to submit the first week of June. AMCAS doesn't even release the info to schools until late June. Just do your FAP and submit your primary in 2-3 weeks when its done. You will be right there with the first batch of people.

Thanks!

http://aspe.hhs.gov/POVERTY/08poverty.shtml

The 200% poverty line for this year for a family of 4 is $42,400. So it sounds like your overall family income is $36000 so you should qualify.

I missed the qualification for my family of 3 by $500 it would have been cheaper for me to work less and get the FAP but of course I didn't know that at the time.

No need to submit the first week of June. AMCAS doesn't even release the info to schools until late June. Just do your FAP and submit your primary in 2-3 weeks when its done. You will be right there with the first batch of people.

The 200% poverty line for this year for a family of 4 is $42,400. So it sounds like your overall family income is $36000 so you should qualify.

I missed the qualification for my family of 3 by $500 it would have been cheaper for me to work less and get the FAP but of course I didn't know that at the time.

GAH! Does anyone know why I can't un-withdraw my FAP application? Or even better, does anyone know how I can un-withdraw it? Any help is appreciated since I am using my grandma's savings to pay for this. :(

That's incorrect. They want the TAX year 2007 (Jan-Dec) only. They only ask for tax info for 2007.

It's 300% of poverty line.

GAH! Does anyone know why I can't un-withdraw my FAP application? Or even better, does anyone know how I can un-withdraw it? Any help is appreciated since I am using my grandma's savings to pay for this. :(

Call FAP. They are helpful.

Call FAP. They are helpful.

I called earlier today and they said I can't undo a withdraw. However, I sent them an email (and will probably call again tomorrow) because I feel there has to be a way around this if I really need the aid.

I will update. :)

It's 300% of poverty line.

Didn't used to be. That sucks - all the money I could have saved if they had just changed their policy a few years ago. But either way click the link - find your family size and multiply by 3.

Didn't used to be. That sucks - all the money I could have saved if they had just changed their policy a few years ago. But either way click the link - find your family size and multiply by 3.

That DOES suck. Well, you're going to be a doctor, so it's all water under the bridge :)

By the way, does anyone know if we have FAP approval, do we need to email each med school individually to request secondary fee waiver or do they see it on our original AMCAS somehow???:confused:

By the way, does anyone know if we have FAP approval, do we need to email each med school individually to request secondary fee waiver or do they see it on our original AMCAS somehow???:confused:

from what i can put together, it depends on individual schools. some will look to see whether you have FAP approval and others will have their own requirements/processing. either way, i believe they will let you know when they send you secondaries.

Some schools also required you to send in FAP verification letter with your secondary application in order to get the 2nd appl. fee waiver.

So it just depends on the individual school. I think you can find the information on the indiv. school website.

I can't wait to skip the secondary fee step. The process is expensive regardless of whether you have the FAP waiver or not.