Fee waver application - I don't know about my parents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Exalya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am almost certain I qualify for a fee waver for AMCAS - my EFC from FAFSA is 0, I've never lived much above (usually below) the poverty line. However, the FAP assumes I know my parents. I do not know where my parents are. I do not know what they do. I have no idea what money they make, and I never had a guardian, because I struck out on my own a long time ago.

Anyone else encountered this problem? Did I check a box I shouldn't have? The help area didn't have anything /helpful/ on this issue. I remember before I was married, I could not fill out a FAFSA because I couldn't find my parents. I pray that this is not a similar situation.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to call FAP as this is a unique situation taht they will deal with on a case by case basis. 1st off the only way you can not list your parents is if they are
A) dead
B) you are legally emancipated
C) left at birth and you could in no reasonable manner find them

This is what i was told when I called FAP as i was in a somwhat similar situation. My dad left when I was 2 and I honestly have no clue where he is. They said that was fine since i could still list my mom. Also you said you had no guardian....but somehow that doesnt add up to me. You had to have had someone you cant just raise yourself from birth alone...birth parents, adopted parents, guadian, foster care, theres gotta be something. I can understand if you dont wanna divulge personal details but you should call FAP for sure as they are very stringent in their rules. Also just a heads up...make sure you get the names of everyone you talk to. some guy who was the manager at the time told me some info that turned out to be wrong ang it delayed my application. 2 weeks later i get a bunch of phone calls from FAP saying how sorry tehy were for their mistake.....

I forgot to read the married part. If you are married yu have to count your spouses income. If you truly do not know your parents for w/e reason they may just take your income+ spouse.

Well, thanks for the advice. I was a runaway and never went into foster care for my late adolescent years. I don't mind listing my parents, but I just honestly do not know what their financials are. Well. We'll see how that goes. Thank god AACOMAS doesn't ask for parental info, but I really want to apply both allopathic and osteopathic if I can >.>

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, thanks for the advice. I was a runaway and never went into foster care for my late adolescent years. I don't mind listing my parents, but I just honestly do not know what their financials are. Well. We'll see how that goes. Thank god AACOMAS doesn't ask for parental info, but I really want to apply both allopathic and osteopathic if I can >.>

ah ok well honestly i doubt anyone on this board was ever near that situation or knows. I will say that you might want to not get your hopes up for FAP. They are run by a private organization so they dont go by normal rules or government standards. They were real ****ing dicks when it came to my situation where i cant find my dad. Your situation is even worse. Hopefully they will just allow you bypass it. But everytime i called them they were always really reallly strict on the whole you must give parental info deal and there is no exception.

Heh. That's just lovely. I guess I have a real fun phonecall to make on Monday. :p I wish they weren't like that to you >.< People need to stop assuming that being a parent somehow makes you a decent person.

Heh. That's just lovely. I guess I have a real fun phonecall to make on Monday. :p I wish they weren't like that to you >.< People need to stop assuming that being a parent somehow makes you a decent person.

I feel ya exalya. Unfortunately, get used to it, because it only gets worse when it comes to finaid. I can't speak to the fee waiver specifically because I didn't qualify, but the finaid stuff might be useful. Were you considered emancipated for undergrad financial purposes? If so, the easiest thing to do will be to get documentation from the finaid office or court regarding that. If you weren't legally emacipated, another option is to submit a signed affidavit regarding your situation, along with whatever supporting documentation you have that they aren't in your life and you don't know where they are. I had the pleasure of going through this, and found submitting an affidavit from myself, along with supporting letters from "members of status"* in the community, to be sufficient.

I, for some reason, felt like this was adding insult to injury...having already gone through the soul baring application process, we now get to lay it all out for another frickin group of strangers. :(

*Defined as doctor, clergy, lawyer who knows you and can testify to what the situation is.

Last edited:
Wow, you must have lived an incredibly difficult life...

I'm glad things worked out for you and you're in shape to apply to medical school now.