Feedback on Diversity Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonder88

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had some trouble with my diversity prompt for many schools. I would appreciate some feedback regarding this topic. To describe my childhood,

Parents immigrated when they were post-grad, had nothing but two bags. Used to have me on food stamps till elementary but now we are upper middle class
Asian American in the South

Played some instruments (violin, piano 4-7 years), stopped before high school
Played like 2-3 years of oboe in high school
Did two years of track in high school

Feels like I did all of these extracurricular activities but no growth or advancement as I have now stopped

Do casual photography and guitar currently

Had a lot of self-esteem levels, lack of self-worth socially due to severe acne, stayed introvert and felt like I had no voice at school, but turned to volunteering and helping out other people. In college, I did more of that --> helped me with confidence and being better at understanding the concerns of other people and struggles.

Overall, I'm not sure if any of these experiences stand out towards a suitable diversity essay, but please let me know your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

What about all of that makes you a diverse applicant? What will all of that help you to bring diversity to your med school class. I really don’t know the answer. Why did you keep changing activities after such short periods? If you had stuck with one or two instruments and had become an amazing musician or if your photography skills were exceptional and you had published your work, these activities would make you stand out and maybe help diversify your class. As it stands it seems your parents arrived in thevUS with degrees, and have been successful. And you were born here. Is that right?
like I said I really have no answer with your stated info. Hopefully some others will reply. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I have had some trouble with my diversity prompt for many schools. I would appreciate some feedback regarding this topic. To describe my childhood,

Parents immigrated when they were post-grad, had nothing but two bags. Used to have me on food stamps till elementary but now we are upper middle class
Asian American in the South

Played some instruments (violin, piano 4-7 years), stopped before high school
Played like 2-3 years of oboe in high school
Did two years of track in high school

Feels like I did all of these extracurricular activities but no growth or advancement as I have now stopped

Do casual photography and guitar currently

Had a lot of self-esteem levels, lack of self-worth socially due to severe acne, stayed introvert and felt like I had no voice at school, but turned to volunteering and helping out other people. In college, I did more of that --> helped me with confidence and being better at understanding the concerns of other people and struggles.

Overall, I'm not sure if any of these experiences stand out towards a suitable diversity essay, but please let me know your thoughts.
These are the experiences of some 33% of all med students.

Do better. Introspection is a required trait for a doctor.

Your parents' experiences don't' count, either.

Reactions: 1 users