feedback on how to adjust school list (3.92GPA/25AA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giraffelover2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need help on school list. Having very difficult time thinning it down.

Date of submission: N/A (will submit early next cycle)
Overall GPA: 3.92
Science GPA: 3.90
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 25 AA / 24TS / 25 QR/ 30 RC / 23Bio / 27Chem / 22Orgo / 22PAT
State of Residence: WA

Undergrad Attended:
private university in northeast
Major: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Minor: Journalism
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~250 under one General Dentist
Volunteering Experience: ~120 at hospital + additional 50 through other activities
Employment: N/A
Research: ~500 hrs at time of application, no research publication
Other Extracurriculars: Gen Chem LA, Public Health TA, President of cultural org, started blog
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List
LOR type and strength: dentist (very strong), science prof 1 (strong), science prof 2 (okay), non-science prof (very strong), PI (good) 5 letters, for schools where two/three science is not mandatory I will use others.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: No
School list: I am aware that I have listed a lot of schools. Specifically I want feedback on what schools to add/remove. Am I applying to too many reach schools (i.e top 10 schools?) More in-range schools I should add that I am missing from my list?

Tufts
OHSU
UW
Harvard
BU
UCLA
UCSF
UConn
UPenn
Stonybrook
UoP
Columbia
Loma Linda
Rutgers
Buffalo
UNC

Members don't see this ad.

Need help on school list. Having very difficult time thinning it down.

Date of submission: N/A (will submit early next cycle)
Overall GPA: 3.92
Science GPA: 3.90
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 25 AA / 24TS / 25 QR/ 30 RC / 23Bio / 27Chem / 22Orgo / 22PAT
State of Residence: WA

Undergrad Attended:
private university in northeast
Major: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Minor: Journalism
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~250 under one General Dentist
Volunteering Experience: ~120 at hospital + additional 50 through other activities
Employment: N/A
Research: ~500 hrs at time of application, no research publication
Other Extracurriculars: Gen Chem LA, Public Health TA, President of cultural org, started blog
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List
LOR type and strength: dentist (very strong), science prof 1 (strong), science prof 2 (okay), non-science prof (very strong), PI (good) 5 letters, for schools where two/three science is not mandatory I will use others.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: No
School list: I am aware that I have listed a lot of schools. Specifically I want feedback on what schools to add/remove. Am I applying to too many reach schools (i.e top 10 schools?) More in-range schools I should add that I am missing from my list?

Tufts
OHSU
UW
Harvard
BU
UCLA
UCSF
UConn
UPenn
Stonybrook
UoP
Columbia
Loma Linda
Rutgers
Buffalo
UNC
you don't have any reach schools with your stats
loma linda you need a religious leader LOR
check the OOS acceptance rate at your last 3 listed schools and stony brook

you are way over the averages at tufts and BU, they know a WA resident with your stats is more likely to go to UW or OHSU and ucla/ucsf/uop
yield management applies here
the example i give is that i was 5'6'" and 112lbs in high school, and a band geek. would it be a good idea for me to ask the head cheerleader to senior prom?

i would consider colorado and especially UNLV (in state tuition after 1 year) for your safety schools instead of tufts and BU
oh wait, i see, "private university in the NE"
then maybe those schools would consider you more

Reactions: 1 users
you don't have any reach schools with your stats
loma linda you need a religious leader LOR
check the OOS acceptance rate at your last 3 listed schools and stony brook

you are way over the averages at tufts and BU, they know a WA resident with your stats is more likely to go to UW or OHSU and ucla/ucsf/uop
yield management applies here
the example i give is that i was 5'6'" and 112lbs in high school, and a band geek. would it be a good idea for me to ask the head cheerleader to senior prom?

i would consider colorado and especially UNLV (in state tuition after 1 year) for your safety schools instead of tufts and BU
oh wait, i see, "private university in the NE"
then maybe those schools would consider you more
Do you think going to school in the Northeast would be a good enough reason for them to consider me? I've enjoyed my time in the Northeast and would also like to stay. Also do you know if there is a list of schools that provide in-state tuition after 1 year? I saw a post on SDN Schools and changing residency: the list that has a list, but they also said it might be outdated? Are there schools/states that are known for being relatively easier to get in-state tuition for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think going to school in the Northeast would be a good enough reason for them to consider me? I've enjoyed my time in the Northeast and would also like to stay. Also do you know if there is a list of schools that provide in-state tuition after 1 year? I saw a post on SDN Schools and changing residency: the list that has a list, but they also said it might be outdated? Are there schools/states that are known for being relatively easier to get in-state tuition for?
you're welcome...

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
you can get into any school you want. I would like at financials and analyze what will be most cost effective for you in the long run (likely UW) and cut out anything above a certain amount. Maybe 350/400k (even which is a very high amount).

you can get into any school you want. I would like at financials and analyze what will be most cost effective for you in the long run (likely UW) and cut out anything above a certain amount. Maybe 350/400k (even which is a very high amount).

Okay, will look into financials then and examine cost effectiveness. Unfortunately UW is still quite expensive even for in-state students :/ I was also wondering if what to do in a situation where I could choose between using my PI's letter of recommendation or my Public Health Profs. I TA for PH and my PH prof definitely knows me better and would write a glowing LOR, but I've heard it's a major red flag to not get your PI to write a LOR if you've done research for a long time. I haven't had a chance to really get to know my PI bc he's quite absent, and am uncertain how strong of a LOR he could reasonably write, whereas for my PH professor I am certain she'd write an amazing LOR. Would you recommend just going with the objectively stronger LOR, or go with the PI to avoid the potential red flag.

Okay, will look into financials then and examine cost effectiveness. Unfortunately UW is still quite expensive even for in-state students :/ I was also wondering if what to do in a situation where I could choose between using my PI's letter of recommendation or my Public Health Profs. I TA for PH and my PH prof definitely knows me better and would write a glowing LOR, but I've heard it's a major red flag to not get your PI to write a LOR if you've done research for a long time. I haven't had a chance to really get to know my PI bc he's quite absent, and am uncertain how strong of a LOR he could reasonably write, whereas for my PH professor I am certain she'd write an amazing LOR. Would you recommend just going with the objectively stronger LOR, or go with the PI to avoid the potential red flag.
dontworryaboutit
always choose the person that knows you best and will write the best letter...

Reactions: 1 users