Feedback on my Stats/Scenario

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SFMDBound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to get any feedback from you all on my personal scenario -- (good stuff first) I graduated from Stanford last June, am working at UCSF doing clinical research, have research background in a lab (contributed to an abstract), some motivating personal experiences for becoming a physician, double majored in Biology and English, extensive background in music.

Sadly, thats where the good stuff ends - my GPA is 3.5, Science GPA 3.2 (had a really bad sophomore year in science with 3 Cs, but everything generally improves afterwards, with As in my science classes senior year), MCAT 31R. Unfortunately, I am not going to have time to take more science classes or retake the MCAT.

I am applying for fall '05 and am thinking of applying to about 30 schools, am a California resident, so I'll definitely be applying to the California schools, but I am trying to come up with a list. What do you guys think are my chances of getting into mid-tier med schools, like GW, BU, Georgetown, Tufts? Any suggestions for lower tier schools that like Cali residents and are preferably in a good location? Any other feedback/advice/anyone in the same boat as me that has had success?

Thanks so much everyone and good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

SFMDBound said:
I would love to get any feedback from you all on my personal scenario -- (good stuff first) I graduated from Stanford last June, am working at UCSF doing clinical research, have research background in a lab (contributed to an abstract), some motivating personal experiences for becoming a physician, double majored in Biology and English, extensive background in music.

Sadly, thats where the good stuff ends - my GPA is 3.5, Science GPA 3.2 (had a really bad sophomore year in science with 3 Cs, but everything generally improves afterwards, with As in my science classes senior year), MCAT 31R. Unfortunately, I am not going to have time to take more science classes or retake the MCAT.

I am applying for fall '05 and am thinking of applying to about 30 schools, am a California resident, so I'll definitely be applying to the California schools, but I am trying to come up with a list. What do you guys think are my chances of getting into mid-tier med schools, like GW, BU, Georgetown, Tufts? Any suggestions for lower tier schools that like Cali residents and are preferably in a good location? Any other feedback/advice/anyone in the same boat as me that has had success?

Thanks so much everyone and good luck!!

It wont be easy to get in those schools since your GPA is well below their averages and your MCAT is right about avg. I would apply to those, but then also to schools that are more favorable for people with your stats such as drexel, finch, nymc, slu

edit: oops, i was looking at your scigpa. you're cum. is okay, so you should definitely apply to those. but yeah, broaden your brush.

Do you have clinical experience? If you add in some clinical experience, you should have a good shot at those schools I think. Maybe take some more classes to raise your GPA a bit, and continue with the research if you can.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't get an MD though. Just be prepared to work hard and apply to many schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't see it as a problem. Although it may be a challenge getting into HMS, Stanford, UCSF, etc., you'll definitely be in med school when you do end up applying. Don't sweat.

You graduated from a top-notch school. Although your GPA may not be super high, the adcoms will definitely take your institution into consideration (they see them as extremely competitive and not everyone gets A's). And the fact that you improved dramatically over the course of the last two years also says something. Significant improvement definitely counts for something. And while your MCAT score of 31R may be "average" to those applying with 36's to 45's, it's an extremely SOLID score. The real average on the MCAT is approximately something like a 22. Your research background is also a definite plus. Also, do some unique EC stuff and you'll be completely fine. While applying, I would definitely eye the schools that exmike mentioned, as well as Creighton, Rush, and Loyola to name a few.

I've heard mix things about this suggestion, but I think you should apply to Vermont. It's a small class and many seat go to Vermont residents and like 10 go to Maine residents, but the rest of the seats seemed to be filled by Cal.

I don't think you should worry. I had extremely similar numbers [3.5 overall, 3.3 science, 33 MCAT], from a comparable school, and interviewed at a bunch of schools, including 4 so-called top 10s. So I don't even think Georgetown, Tufts, BU et al. should be that much of a worry.

What you need to do is play up your music background and anything else that sets you apart. My interviewers were really interested in my extracurriculars.

That being said, there were a lot of schools that rejected me as well. Deservedly so, I'm sure. Apply all over and to a broad range (top tier to lower).

Good luck, and PM me if you have any more questions. I'm not on the boards too often anymore, but I will help out if I can :)

The application process is a humbling experience--you can never really count yourself in or out of a school. Basically, you have to sell yourself to the schools that you really want to go to. Your stats are not that horrible. Your ECs seem pretty good (you didn't mention clinical experience, but i assume have some) and you come from a very good school. I think you have a chance to get into a cali school for sure. I know UCLA and UCSD are big on research, so your UCSF clinical research will help a lot with these schools. IMO, however, the most important thing to do is nail the secondary app responses. You'll get secondaries from all the cali schools. Do some background research on the school before you answer the questions--don't worry too much about sending them in the next day--spend a considerable amount of time thinking about the responses. The schools rarely change the questions from year to year, so get copies of the essay questions and start thinking about them and writing. You'll be ahead of the game come august when you recieve 5 or 6 secondaries a week.

Sometimes its a crapshoot: Do your best, then pick up the dice and roll'em.

Good Luck