Feedback on UMD/Baltimore Shock Trauma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FDNewbie

Wanting to Retire...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard great things about UMD/Baltimore Shock Trauma, including that it's prob the #1 Trauma center in the country. I don't, however, know anyone who's rotated there or is/was a resident there. My friend (4th year) told me he heard that while the experience is excellent, you're worked unbelievably hard (Q3 for 5 years is quite a task). Curious if anyone has any first-hand feedback at this institution? Pros/cons? And very important to me...how is the mood there? Docs/nurses/ancillary staff? Kind? Efficient? Things get done timely/responsibly? I ask b/c I've had some not-so-positive experiences w/ inner city hospitals and a lazy/apathetic/disrespectful atmosphere/attitude.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

penetrating trauma centers that are known world wide, cook county, shock, miami are going to be "inner city", i think the better word is underfunded. trauma is not a cash cow, especially penetrating because most of those patients don't have insurance. thus those hositals may not have the best in support care (ancillary ect). but the learning and experiences are excellent. if you don't want to deal with things that may run a little slower or pissy attitude of a nurse or tech, go to a hosital that is well funded, usually suburban. inova fairfax, harborview, they have great blunt trauma experience.

shock is an inner city hospital but the nurses there are good. there are some egos there that are rough (scalea) at times, but thats how it is everywhere. residents at UM are not on trauma for the entire 5 years , so its not always q3.

penetrating trauma centers that are known world wide, cook county, shock, miami are going to be "inner city", i think the better word is underfunded. trauma is not a cash cow, especially penetrating because most of those patients don't have insurance. thus those hositals may not have the best in support care (ancillary ect). but the learning and experiences are excellent.
As obvious as that seems, I think I needed someone to lay it out bluntly like that for me haha. So thanks :)

if you don't want to deal with things that may run a little slower or pissy attitude of a nurse or tech, go to a hosital that is well funded, usually suburban. inova fairfax, harborview, they have great blunt trauma experience.
Yea I love Fairfax. It's awesome. But then you trade a comfortable environment for a lot less hands-on surgical exposure (the blood 'n guts routine that predominates in hopsitals w/ a high %age of penetrating trauma). And interestingly enough, from what I've read on this board, many people complain of the routine and mundane responsibilities they're faced w/ at the predominantly blunt trauma facilities. So it's a catch-22 I guess; you can't have your pie and eat it too eh?

shock is an inner city hospital but the nurses there are good. there are some egos there that are rough (scalea) at times, but thats how it is everywhere.
Gotcha. And since you mentioned Jackson Memorial in Miami, same tradeoff, right? Any pros/cons for Shock vs. Miami?

residents at UM are not on trauma for the entire 5 years , so its not always q3.
Duh! I think I need some sleep haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
i overheard someone say that shock trauma is a wonderful place to train and stuff, but the trauma team is so specialized and unique the WORK experience isnt as horizontal as the knowledge you acquire. this is of course for anyone else more in the know to disprove, and 4/5 trauma attendings at temple trained at shock trauma (and it shows :)) ...

i overheard someone say that shock trauma is a wonderful place to train and stuff, but the trauma team is so specialized and unique the WORK experience isnt as horizontal as the knowledge you acquire. this is of course for anyone else more in the know to disprove, and 4/5 trauma attendings at temple trained at shock trauma (and it shows :)) ...

can you elaborate on that, you lost me

Yea plz do elaborate a bit more. I'm all ears, as I'm seriously considering UMD's Surgery Program...

Oh and isn't Scalea the doc who's often interviewed by the media? I think I read about him saving a few cops/firefighters' lives.

I dont know much about Shock Trauma, but my impression based on a surgical rotation on the Halsted Trauma service at Hopkins is that most of the penetrating trauma goes to Hopkins, whereas most of hte blunt force trauma (MVAs, etc) goes to Shock. I'm sure they get a good amount of penetrating stuff too but I dont think their volume of penetrating is as high as Hopkins.

That being said, clearly its a great place to train. Several of the Hopkins faculty who had trained at both places said it was a great place to be.

Just my uninformed opinion.

Shock Trauma probably gets the majority of penetrating trauma on the south and west side of baltimore and the majority of Level I blunt trauma from the entire state of Maryland. To say the helicopters are NON-STOP would be an understatement. The amazing thing about shock trauma is that its literally a stand-alone hospital with its own OR's, and ICU's. Great place to train.

most of the penetrating trauma goes to Hopkins, whereas most of hte blunt force trauma (MVAs, etc) goes to Shock. I'm sure they get a good amount of penetrating stuff too but I dont think their volume of penetrating is as high as Hopkins.

Just my uninformed opinion.

:)

Heh, no offense, but no. You can ask your plastics residents, they all do a crazy heavy rotation through Shock.

You're close by, you should drop in and see the trauma mafia roll with a hit in the TRU. Its pretty impressive. I've seen two heli's in the air circling Shock waiting for the one already there to take off so they can land.

Now Hopkins does get *all* of the big pediatric trauma, which is one of the reasons why the surgical residents at Univ of Md rotate through Hopkins for their PedSurg experience.

Baltimore has more than enough trauma to go around, but to say that one hospital gets more penetrating trauma than the other is laughable. And blunt trauma is much more challenging anyway. ;) I think as two hospital systems we co-exist quite well in the city, because we both have niches in which we excel.

As far as the surgery residents at University of Maryland...absolutely amazing. They stand up for each other, they got your back, and they work hard.

Tater, you a resident there? I'll actually be rotating there in a few months :)

Hi there. I'm a high school senior and my mom works in shock/trauma as a pharmacist. She is very easily ticked, but I think she's telling the truth that things are a bit hectic there. Very recently, they switched to a computer system for sending prescriptions to the pharmacy (before it was fax-based). Beforehand, it was very inefficient.

She also says that there are groupings of people so to speak. She says nurses look out for one another, doctors look out for one another, and pharmacists/technicians look out for one another. I can't verify this sicne she is a bit overdramatic and she is a minority (no, I won't say what type, but it's not Black or Hispanic).

If you go there, you can thank my mom for the computerizd prescription system which was put in place shortly after an incident. This incident involved nurses asking for a custom IV drip from the pharmacy "stat!" for an extremely critical patient. Anyways, the nurses just kept coming every few minutes even though it wasn't ready and so the review board decided to switch to a computer system after a bunch of bickering over who caused it.

She raves to me about how it's one of the best trauma centers in the US. Take that as you will. She also says how residents frequently make prescribing errors, expecting the pharmacist to lok up dosage and other things. She said that one time, somebody used google to look up treatment for a condition a patient had and prescribed something off Google search. It ended up being an expensive drug which the hospital had orders of magnitude less than the required dose.

If you go there, try to be careful about prescribing stuff so you don't look like an idiot (especially with the computerized system which holds people accountable).

I hope my post wasn't too general and non-specific to a hospital.

I did some paramedic clinicals at Shock Trauma, and being a local EMS provider in a nearby county, I've brought patients by land and air. In both realms, I've seen the controlled chaos that takes place as a patient is wheeled into the TRU. It seems that there is a tech assigned to each extremity to remove any remaining clothing, in addition to note-taking nurses and students/residents/attendings/anethesiologists! On my field rotations, I've seen paramedics more experienced than I warn the patient of the flurry of activity that is going to be taking place, so as not to be surprised or concerned by all of the activity.
Admittance to Shock Trauma is limited to air or ground ambulance patients only. The Maryland EMS protocols define Shock Trauma as the Primary Adult (15 years old and beyond) Resource Center for trauma and neuro/spinal trauma. If a helicopter is flying an adult trauma patient from anyhwere in the state into Baltimore, they will be flying to STC rather than other trauma centers in the city. Ground providers will take the patient to the nearest appropriate trauma center.
It's definitly a great facility and a great place to learn. It was easy to get squeezed out of the way because the trauma team is so fluid, but stand your ground!

Just remember two things-- follow the red line to the TRU, and the Shock Trauma handshake is not a friendly gesture performed between staff members....

I have rotated through Shock during my PGY-2 year. What can i say, pretty impressive place, with both volume and type of trauma seen. How do three ER thoracotomy a night sound? There is a lot of BS stuff that is coming that you have to work up anyway, but then you see these disasters and this is when you really appreciate the organization and skills of the doctors and staff. I really doubt that results seen there can be duplicated in too many other places. In that sense going back to home institution was somewhat disheartening.
By the way, i was on Dr. Scalea's team and have to say that he is one of the nicest and most knowledgeable surgeons i know. He might be sarcastic at times, but is very enthused about teaching.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its so interesting reading descriptions of rotations that you've personally experienced, again and again. First of all, let me echo some of the sentiments on this thread:

1) Shock Trauma sees approx 7500 admissions/year. The place is just plain crazy.
2) Shock Trauma absolutely positively gets your garden variety of trauma cases plus the train wrecks from other hospitals that no one else wants. I've witnessed damage control laparotomy patients transferred to our resus area open abdomen and all...
3) Procedures galore; the place works like a machine and the rapid throughput of patients is key to maintaining availability of resources.
4) Shock Trauma currently boasts approx 13 dedicated resus bays, six operating rooms, and dedicated neurotrauma, multitrauma, and geriatric trauma, and surgical critical care units.

Emergency medicine residents at UMD now spend three months on the trauma team IN ADDITION to one month of trauma anesthesia and one month of STC-ICU. Currently, the GS residents spend 8 weeks on team in their senior year.

Best wishes to any and all future rotators!

-P

I am an internal resident of Critical Care speciality in an University Hospital in Spain.
I contacted with Shock Trauma to make an observership.
I need to make my own arrangements for housing. Can anyone help me? any advice?

I am an internal resident of Critical Care speciality in an University Hospital in Spain.

I would suggest using craigslist or looking on line for some housing in the Inner Harbor if you won't have a car. Be aware that a month's rent there will generally run you over a $1000 USD a month and you will most likely be expected to pay two months rent plus security deposit.

Hey Madrid,

This is the place I stayed at: http://www.fayettesquare.com/fs/. I LOVED it. Clean, FURNISHED, ALL EXPENSES INCLUDED IN THE RENT, comes w/ cable & internet...and best of all, it is LITERALLY ONE BLOCK from the hospital. I would roll outta bed MINUTES before I had to be in the hospital, because the walk would take me 3 min 30 seconds to the DOT.

Rent IIRC was $800/month, but that's if you sign a 6-month lease. I had to do a month-to-month lease because my rotation was only 1 month long. So they had a $300 "surcharge" for month-to-month renters. So rent was $1100 for that month. Considering what I was getting, and how close it was (KEY because you don't have to worry about parking, and you maximize sleep time, which you will NEED to do while @ Shock Trauma haha), I think it was well worth it.

Also, that place let me move in and move out on the dates I wanted (doesn't have to be the first of the month etc). You're simply charged for a full month or any part thereof. I don't recall paying any security deposit, since that single month was already paid up front, in full.

Just a word of caution, however. Most people in that area park in the Lexington Garage, which is 2 - 3 blocks down. It's NOT a nice area, and despite it being just next to a police station, that month I was there, there were announcements telling ppl to walk carefully, because someone had gotten robbed IN FRONT of the police station lol. So it's not the nicest area to say the least. I def. wasn't comfortable walking to and from my car anytime at night/in the evening. Prob is, a car is kinda necessary, cuz I couldn't find any supermarkets within walking distance, and with the way they have staggered schedules @ Shock Trauma, having to go out for food/supplies @ night becomes kind of a necessity/your only option...

Hope that helps!

There is a Safeway about 1 mile from Shock; you have to cross MLK on Pratt. My ex wasn't too happy about me walking there (which I did a few times during the day), but they do have delivery if you don't have a car.

For infrequent trips, you can always take a cab. There are plenty downtown.

Yea umm I can't think of a single place in America where I'd wanna be caught walking on or crossing an MLK Blvd lol. Not the safest areas... ;) I didn't know about delivery though!

I would add that most of the descriptions in this thread can be found at most busy level I academic trauma centers. Trauma is formulaic by design, and the trauma experience is similar/the same at most institutions. Most general surgery residencies at level I centers will provide residents with way more trauma experience than necessary to handle trauma as a general surgeon (imho). I had the opportunity recently to tour the storied baltimore shock trauma bay and it was somewhat of a letdown. After all of the oft-repeated stories coming out of that place I expected a chorus of angels to sing out as I followed the red line into the place. What I found was a stereotypic trauma set-up, albeit larger than any I had ever seen.

I think that, the Univ. of Baltimore's trauma program is strong not for the volume of trauma, or the facilities, or the amount of penetrating trauma, (which is still relatively small compared to the amount of blunt and is less complex to manage) but for the people there, and for the way in which trauma is handled. For someone interested in an academic/leadership position in trauma surgery then Baltimore is an outstanding option. The culture there is probably among the best for trauma innovation, and improvement. From the attendings to the the x-ray techs, the concept is "team" which is the key for excellence in any field.

Even though I have chosen a career that will keep my general surgery-trained butt away from managing traumas (as the primary), I have a deep respect for our trauma surgery bretheren because they are critical, societal, necessities. If I ever sustain a traumatic injury, I pray that I will be taken care of by a trauma-loving general surgeon.

Yea umm I can't think of a single place in America where I'd wanna be caught walking on or crossing an MLK Blvd lol. Not the safest areas... ;) I didn't know about delivery though!

I mentioned delivery because for a foreign student coming to the US for a short rotation, getting a car is not practical in most cases. There are several places in Baltimore that will deliver and of course, there are plenty of restaurants, etc. within walking distance of the hospital.

And I'm not faulting you! Heck, if I knew about the delivery service, I woulda never made those midnight runs myself!

Hey Madrid,

This is the place I stayed at: http://www.fayettesquare.com/fs/. I LOVED it. Clean, FURNISHED, ALL EXPENSES INCLUDED IN THE RENT, comes w/ cable & internet...and best of all, it is LITERALLY ONE BLOCK from the hospital. I would roll outta bed MINUTES before I had to be in the hospital, because the walk would take me 3 min 30 seconds to the DOT.

Rent IIRC was $800/month, but that's if you sign a 6-month lease. I had to do a month-to-month lease because my rotation was only 1 month long. So they had a $300 "surcharge" for month-to-month renters. So rent was $1100 for that month. Considering what I was getting, and how close it was (KEY because you don't have to worry about parking, and you maximize sleep time, which you will NEED to do while @ Shock Trauma haha), I think it was well worth it.

Also, that place let me move in and move out on the dates I wanted (doesn't have to be the first of the month etc). You're simply charged for a full month or any part thereof. I don't recall paying any security deposit, since that single month was already paid up front, in full.

Just a word of caution, however. Most people in that area park in the Lexington Garage, which is 2 - 3 blocks down. It's NOT a nice area, and despite it being just next to a police station, that month I was there, there were announcements telling ppl to walk carefully, because someone had gotten robbed IN FRONT of the police station lol. So it's not the nicest area to say the least. I def. wasn't comfortable walking to and from my car anytime at night/in the evening. Prob is, a car is kinda necessary, cuz I couldn't find any supermarkets within walking distance, and with the way they have staggered schedules @ Shock Trauma, having to go out for food/supplies @ night becomes kind of a necessity/your only option...

Hope that helps!

This is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know similar places near Hopkins Hospital for a 1-month rotation?

This is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know similar places near Hopkins Hospital for a 1-month rotation?
Hmm...sounds like starting a new "Places to Live" subforum in the "Clinical Rotations" section for the most common rotation sites would be a good idea... ;)

I have rotated through Shock during my PGY-2 year. What can i say, pretty impressive place, with both volume and type of trauma seen. How do three ER thoracotomy a night sound? There is a lot of BS stuff that is coming that you have to work up anyway, but then you see these disasters and this is when you really appreciate the organization and skills of the doctors and staff. I really doubt that results seen there can be duplicated in too many other places. In that sense going back to home institution was somewhat disheartening.
By the way, i was on Dr. Scalea's team and have to say that he is one of the nicest and most knowledgeable surgeons i know. He might be sarcastic at times, but is very enthused about teaching.

I will be doing a rotation in Shock Trauma really soon and I would LOVE to be in Dr.Scalea's team... Can I call or email someone that could help me with that??? Any advice???

Thanks!

Calll the Registrar and request it. I hope you know that that's BEYOND busy; that team has seen 30+ traumas in a SINGLE shift. So I hope you're able to load up on sleep pretty well while you can! ;)

"Bodymore, Murdaland.." taken from graffitti scratched across the wall of an abandoned alley. Baltimore can't help it if its famous for shows like, "Homicide," "The Wire," and "The Corner." All kidding aside, the city can be quite quirky and eclectic- provided that you know where to go.

First off, the safeway just across MLK recently closed. There's a superfresh within walking distance off of Saratoga and Charles streets. Plus, the Lexington Market is within walking distance from Shock Trauma (nurses just love when you call it, "shock") and its open 7 days. Cabs are plenty, and the inner harbor is also within walking distance.

Housing can be sort of a bitch, but there's actually places and long term hotel type institutions that give residents and rotating visitors a group rate. The office of education at Shock Trauma can certainly help with arranagements; there are ALWAYS observers/students/c-stars/ and rotators on the trauma teams.

Shock trauma is definitely a busy and peculiar place; it runs like few other trauma centers in the United states. Though residents from several specialties contribute to membership of the trauma team, Shock Trauma is a dedicated surgical trauma hospital.

The benefits of doing a rotation there are clearly related to patient volume and acuity. As a primary referral center for trauma, there's lots of the usual fall, intoxicated, and blunt trauma rule-out type patients. Surgeons often complain about not going to the OR and about the number of transfers that are flown in. However, one of the secrets to maturing into a competent doctor is learning how to sort the sick patients out from the not so sick. I'll be glad to discharge several patients in a row, however low acuity, provided that I don't miss the one patient in twenty who presents with surgical abdomen, mesenteric hematoma, or accumulating hemothorax.

Best wishes for safe travel to everyone,

-P

I would add that most of the descriptions in this thread can be found at most busy level I academic trauma centers. Trauma is formulaic by design, and the trauma experience is similar/the same at most institutions. Most general surgery residencies at level I centers will provide residents with way more trauma experience than necessary to handle trauma as a general surgeon (imho). I had the opportunity recently to tour the storied baltimore shock trauma bay and it was somewhat of a letdown. After all of the oft-repeated stories coming out of that place I expected a chorus of angels to sing out as I followed the red line into the place. What I found was a stereotypic trauma set-up, albeit larger than any I had ever seen.

I think that, the (University of Maryland's) trauma program is strong not for the volume of trauma, or the facilities, or the amount of penetrating trauma, (which is still relatively small compared to the amount of blunt and is less complex to manage) but for the people there, and for the way in which trauma is handled. For someone interested in an academic/leadership position in trauma surgery then Baltimore is an outstanding option. The culture there is probably among the best for trauma innovation, and improvement. From the attendings to the the x-ray techs, the concept is "team" which is the key for excellence in any field.

I have much respect for collegial opinions and certainly can't disagree that experiences highlighted on this thread probably are similar to those at any busy level one trauma center. I would counter, however, that the experience over at the STC is not all that academic. Trauma, as you said, is quite formulaic and every virtually every patient gets the same workup, every time. Moreover, the system at "STC" revolves around patient throughput. They have two dedicated MDCT scanners adjacent to the 12+ resus bays that pump contrast into veins and prompty rule in or out acute pathology. At least for me, as an EM physician, the value was contained within managing many of these trauma patients at ONCE. When patients did travel to the OR, it was my experience that junior and senior EM residents were left to manage the resus bays. Running through ATLS algorithms is not unique to the disciplines of EM and trauma surgery- matching those formulas with clinical instinct, however, requires practice and a certain degree of competence.

"A chorus of angels" will probably never fly through Shock Trauma's doors and beckon people inward. However, its definitely the one place in Maryland that can provide the acutely injured patient with, if needed, a ready operating room, and trained trauma surgeons. The sheer volume of patients that cycles through that places necessitates certain capabilities that simply aren't found at other institutions. In addition to the requisite trauma operating suite (there are six), STC has perfusionists, neurosurgeons, trauma anesthesiologists, trauma radiologists, and critical care fellows in house 24/7. It was not at all uncommon, while tasked with triage in the resus bay, to hear of a bedside laparotomy occuring on one of the trauma ICUs. Prior to coming to Baltimore, I had never heard of ECMO being used as a salvage therapy for badly damaged adult lungs. Though I personally would enjoy working in a hospital that has an integrated trauma service, I can honestly say that the experience at STC stands out for its uniqueness. Few other US institutions follow the model of a stand-alone trauma hospital, and it is interesting to see how STC's resuscitation strategies play out.

Whether considering a critical care, "observationship" or a rotation on a trauma team, here are some distinguishing facts about the STC to keep in mind:

1) Dedicated trauma resus bays- access to care only via ambulance or helicopter
2) Dedicated trauma operating suites; six of them are adjacent to the "trauma resuscitation unit"
3) Dedicated trauma surgical intensive care units: three floors of intensive care beds for neurosurgical, multi-trauma, and surgical intensive care patients
4) Two dedicated MDCT scanners (the CT techs are quite possessive of their scanners- getting an emergency department patient to the STC CT suite for a trauma scan CT can be a minor miracle.)
5) Dedicated trauma angio suite
6) Trauma anesthesiologists supervise greet every trauma admission (EM residents rotate on the trauma anesthesia service)
7) The trauma helipad can accomodate 3 choppers on its roof
8) Dedicated laboratory services (makes the ED quite jealous with their turn around time for routine admission labs)
9) Trauma critical care fellows (from EM and surgery) supervise admissions to the three trauma ICUs

Just my two cents. Best wishes,

-P

Hey, I've always heard what a wonderful hospital it is and how very intense it is. That's exactly what I want as deciding between doing EM and doing Trauma Surgery right now isn't the easiest thing in the world. I'm desperate to get in this december, I think it would be a great way to conclude my rotations for medical school. (My group graduates on New Years eve.) It seems that they don't take us foreign medical students anymore. (As per the website.) Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge about whether that's a hard and fast rule or just a general preference of theirs?

Last edited:
Nothing like shocktrauma to get you back posting again on student doctor. I'd very respectfully say two different things. First, its very unfortunate that the UMD School of Medicine has decided to accept students from LCME accredited schools only. this is an absurd policy, especially given the fact that many current fellows, attendings, and former chief residents have been DOs. We have residents from Saudi Arabia training with our EM program, but for some reason the policy about student rotators still stands. That's not to say you can't visit or shadow, but the policy does preclude a meaninful and involved rotation. You can email the office of student affairs for more details, but in my experience they tend to follow the "policy."

Secondly, the "choice" between trauma surgery and emergency medicine is sort of a nonsensical question. The more time I spend at UMMS, the more I realize just how the specialties have diverged. Think of the contradiction- we've worked so hard to create the specialty of emergency medicine and train professionals in all aspects of resuscitation and stabilization. Yet, the model at UMaryland (though extremely successful and intense) is one of segregation. Trauma surgeons, trauma anesthesiologists, and trauma fellows run the show, and most of the critical care intensivists there are from the disciplines of trauma surgery and anesthesiology. HOWEVER, we've made many significant inroads.
1. Tom Scalea, the physician in chief, is a stalward EM advocate. He regularly saves slots in his "trauma critical care fellowship" for EM training physicians
2. The Shock Trauma labor pool is heavily dependent upon EM residencies sending their young and innocent trainees. We quite literally staff the surgical floors and resus areas
3. Increasingly, the STC is hiring EM trained intensivists. Two of our faculty do time on the multi, neuro, and general trauma ICUs at the STC. They're EM trained people who have completed the one year trauma/CC fellowship.
4. STC does recognize the value of an interdisciplinary approach. Our EM program has recently implemented a combined EM/IM/Critical Care track. Those residents rotate through the medical and surgical ICUs @ both UMaryland AND Shock Trauma

Finally, the distinction between trauma and critical care: Remember that trauma surgeons aren't sitting around and waiting for priority 1 traumas to roll through the door. Much of their day is spent rounding, operating on elective cases, and seeing surgical patients in clinic. The trauma surgeons at UMaryland, for example, rotate between the services of G1 (General Surgery), Emergency and Acute Care Surgery, Trauma Surgery, and the much beloved Soft Tissue Service (chronic non healing wounds, nec fasc, and other "NASTI" Necrotizing Acute Soft Tissue Infection illnesses). So, their lifestyle and training is very different. They usually complete 7 years of post graduate schooling; 5 are dedicated to gen surg.

Emergency medicine, on the other hand, trains "general" specialists. We do quite a bit of critical care in the intern year and see patients from all age ranges. Airway management, critical care, resuscitation, and emergency general medicine are cornerstones of any good training program. EM docs focus on the rapid stabilziation of undifferentiated complaints and facilitate patient movement to definitive care. There's not much in the way of clinic or call, but your patient acuity ranges from stubbed toes to acute CHF. Unique to the practice of EM is juggling 10 patients at a time, without the benefit of an accurate diagnosis or reliable information. As you progress through your career, I think you'll agree (maybe!) that the two specialties are very different. The practice of critical care medicine and the performance of emergency procedures, however, is common to both disciplines. Good luck!

-P