Feedback on WesternU and ICO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyebeti

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I am planning to apply to WesternU and ICO soon. I wanted to know what my chances are if my undergrad gpa is a 2.68 and my overall gpa with all the schools I have attended is 2.80? My oat scores are:

Bio: 360
GChem: 340
OChem: 370
Phys: 320
Rc: 300
QR: 350
TS: 360
Overall: 340

And also how many people have been excepted or had an interview at these schools so far?

Members don't see this ad.

I had an interview and have been accepted to WU (2.87, 330 AA and TS). Your OAT scores are good, the GPA under/about 2.8 is a little low. You should try to raise it if you don't get in anywhere, but good luck.

I have been "excepted" to ICO, i didnt bother applying to Western after I was accepted to ICO and SCO. My overall GPA is quite low, at around 3.0. I took a year off, taking JC classes (and finishing up some pre-reqs) to get my GPA where it is now. My OAT scores are about yours for the first time I took it, and AA: 370 for the 2nd time I took it.

good luck

I'm also curious how full the ICO class is at the moment, if anyone knows?

Hi guys I am planning to apply to WesternU and ICO soon. I wanted to know what my chances are if my undergrad gpa is a 2.68 and my overall gpa with all the schools I have attended is 2.80? My oat scores are:

And also how many people have been excepted or had an interview at these schools so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha sorry accepted* ... thank you eheaps and oceanblue392 for your feedback.

hahaha sorry accepted* ... thank you eheaps and oceanblue392 for your feedback.

I wish I got an interview eheaps. I have a 3.3 accum. 370 TS 350 AA and I got rejected for an interview. Tomorrow I will hopefully find out why.

Eyebeti and eheaps, im sorry but I have to ask this because it has been drivin me nutz. My gpa is a 3.14, i did pretty well in my sciences and the only reason my gpa is that low to begin with is because during my freshman year and first half of sophmore year I basically screwed around all the time and had a 1.5 gpa:D

What im trying to get at though is that I see that youlls gpa's are around 2.8ish but then you guys did very well when you took your OAT's, 340's, 360's on some sections etc. I took a couple practice tests on the OAT achiever and I barely got over 300, on my first practice test I honestly didnt even break any section above 290:(.

Im curious were you guys just screwin around during your undergraduate studies and then just really studied for the OAT, did you already know the information for sciences before hand but didnt care for your classes or is the OAt just not as hard as the practice tests:confused: Id really appreciate any insight you guys could give because im scheduled to take the OAT on february 14th and im stressin out studying like crazy because of how I did initially.

Aside from my stress related post, congratulations on gettin accepted eheaps, hope all goes well for you in grad school and eyebeti, I hope you get accepted to where ever your applying:thumbup:

Eyebeti and eheaps, im sorry but I have to ask this because it has been drivin me nutz. My gpa is a 3.14, i did pretty well in my sciences and the only reason my gpa is that low to begin with is because during my freshman year and first half of sophmore year I basically screwed around all the time and had a 1.5 gpa:D

What im trying to get at though is that I see that youlls gpa's are around 2.8ish but then you guys did very well when you took your OAT's, 340's, 360's on some sections etc. I took a couple practice tests on the OAT achiever and I barely got over 300, on my first practice test I honestly didnt even break any section above 290:(.

Im curious were you guys just screwin around during your undergraduate studies and then just really studied for the OAT, did you already know the information for sciences before hand but didnt care for your classes or is the OAt just not as hard as the practice tests:confused: Id really appreciate any insight you guys could give because im scheduled to take the OAT on february 14th and im stressin out studying like crazy because of how I did initially.

Aside from my stress related post, congratulations on gettin accepted eheaps, hope all goes well for you in grad school and eyebeti, I hope you get accepted to where ever your applying:thumbup:

Check out the OAT section of the forum; you'll find that you're not the only one scoring low on practice tests; other than QR and RC, studying for at least a few weeks should give you sufficient scores in the science sections...IMO. Also I don't recommend stressing; I've been stressed out for the past year about Opt school and now I have full blown anxiety issues because of it...relax life is too short ;)

Did anyone go through a quarter system where lab courses were separate from lecture courses? For Western, did you have to take 3 gchem lab courses in addition to the 3 lab courses? and 3 bio lab courses in addition to the 3 lecture courses?

Honestly, you won't get interview at ICO. I had 2.9 with 340 TS and I didn't get invite for an interview. they told me to strengthen my application. I applied to WesternU but I haven't heard back from them. Sorry for being too honest.

Did anyone go through a quarter system where lab courses were separate from lecture courses? For Western, did you have to take 3 gchem lab courses in addition to the 3 lab courses? and 3 bio lab courses in addition to the 3 lecture courses?

I did. I took 2 Gchem courses, and 2 Gchem labs. for the biology coursework, the labs were integrated with the courses.

I feel what your saying caliopt23 but you can always drink your problems away right:D Nah im just kidding by the way have you gotten accepted anywhere or are u still in the same boat as me?

Thanx for the honesty preopt2012...that's what i'm looking for :) . And trah23 you'll do well on the oats... no need to stress. I thought most of the practice tests are harder then the actual test. Study them well and you should do well. And as for my gpa it was a mixture of goofing around my first year and then some family issues too.

I had a 3.2 gpa and sci 3.4... 360TS 340AA... and I'm sorry I really don't see your chances at ICO, when I applied in September, I got an interview, and got accepted. At this point, I doubt that they have a lot of seats left. Western being a new school, you might have a easier chance of getting accepted.

But please work on your gpa... btw, are you a senior or a junior applying??...
When do you plan on sending in your applications?
gl

Members don't see this ad :)
ICO is still not even half full. But, with a 2.8 and applying this late...I highly DOUBT you would have ANY chance. I applied in Sept with a 3.0gpa and 350TS and am on hold for my pre-req fall grades. Applying this late with such low stats you are in competition with people with the highest grades at this point. Your probably going to have to raise your gpa and apply again next year.

ICO is still not even half full. But, with a 2.8 and applying this late...I highly DOUBT you would have ANY chance. I applied in Sept with a 3.0gpa and 350TS and am on hold for my pre-req fall grades. Applying this late with such low stats you are in competition with people with the highest grades at this point. Your probably going to have to raise your gpa and apply again next year.

I spoke to ICO admissions today and was told 100 students have accepted seats and made their deposits...my heart kind of sank into my stomach :(...I just applied there few days ago.

How many seats are there in total?

I feel what your saying caliopt23 but you can always drink your problems away right:D Nah im just kidding by the way have you gotten accepted anywhere or are u still in the same boat as me?
accepted?? yeah right !!! i finished all my apps (everything included) couple days ago. :xf:x10000000000 stage at this point.

On the website it shows 163 students enrolled in 2008. It could be more or less this year. :(

I basically have the same stats as you, CUM 2.82, TS 360...Its safe to say ICO is out of the picture!

I spoke to ICO admissions today and was told 100 students have accepted seats and made their deposits...my heart kind of sank into my stomach :(...I just applied there few days ago.

You never know, people drop at the last minute or get into a different school they'd rather attend. It's really never over till the very end.

Oceanblue, were you accepted to Western? How many units were each of those courses you mentioned? I have an interview there soon but they barely mentioned to me that I need to take an additional chem lab. It's kind of late to register for the spring semester community college classes...

Oceanblue, were you accepted to Western? How many units were each of those courses you mentioned? I have an interview there soon but they barely mentioned to me that I need to take an additional chem lab. It's kind of late to register for the spring semester community college classes...

Nope, I didnt apply to Western. To me, it was a last resort since it is brand new, and completely unknown. Once I was accepted to SCO and ICO, I stopped working on the Western application essay.

I've heard that Western has a bit of a strange requirement for chem classes. My friend applying to the physicians aid school there said she had to take an additional chemistry course at a JC because Western wouldnt accept her UCLA chem courses. Weird.. Anyways, you can probably ask Western, but there might still be time to take summer JC courses? I dont know where you're from, but if your in Los Angeles i just checked and SMC has open chem courses for the spring semester... good luck at your interview!

I also applied to ICO and was put on hold in regards to an interview, and have pretty much eliminated them, I've gotten over it.

And Western is probably more of a if nothing else at this point as I'm waiting to hear back from a few other interviews and am interviewing at NOVA this Friday.

In regards to the chem courses, I took gen 1, orgo 1 and 2, then gen 2 each with their own separate labs.

As for the OAT, I took a Kaplan course last Spring (took exam in September), then reviewed the Kaplan online material again prior to taking the test. I scored my highest score on the actual exam than the few practices that I took. You'll do fine.

I think I covered it all, trying to catch up in one post haha.

I got accepted to ICO but I kind of wanted to keep Western as an option too since its only 10 mins away from my house. I just wish they would have told me earlier that I needed another chem lab when they had first contacted me about my apps and what it was missing,a few months ago. I took 12 units of chem along with another 3 units of chem lab. SMC is 45 mins away from me and I work full time...Ill try searching some more. & oceanblue..sorry I made you post the same thing about you not applying to western. I didnt read your previous posts. Which school did you decide on? Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
I got accepted to ICO but I kind of wanted to keep Western as an option too since its only 10 mins away from my house. I just wish they would have told me earlier that I needed another chem lab when they had first contacted me about my apps and what it was missing,a few months ago. I took 12 units of chem along with another 3 units of chem lab. SMC is 45 mins away from me and I work full time...Ill try searching some more. & oceanblue..sorry I made you post the same thing about you not applying to western. I didnt read your previous posts. Which school did you decide on? Thank you for your help!

I'm about an hour away from Western, but for me, there are too many variables with a new program...plus I wanna get out of Socal. I'm pretty sure on attending ICO, but I'm still going to my interviews at NOVA and PCO in the next 7 days...leaving tomorrow! if i hear anything from berkeley...that would change things considerably..but i think its doubtful i hear back from them.

Oh and I just check Mt. SAC, and they still have a Gchem I (w/ lab) that is still open...thats probably closer to you than SMC. I took the night class of Gchem II at Mt. SAC this past fall (from 5:30-10..but always got out of lab early), so if you're working full time, I would suggest taking that. People drop all the time and my professor was very lenient with giving out add numbers, knowing a lot of people drop the class...take it with Dr. Robert Entus..he's really good/nice and teaching it in the spring, plus i can help you out with some of my problem sets/exams :D

Thanks...I was actually planning to go to mtsac tomorrow straight after work to give them my college transcripts so that I may be eligible to enroll in the class (they have prereqs such as hs chem, algebra, etc). Anyhow, that would be very helpful to have some of those sets. Thank you and good luck with your interviews! btw, i had my interview at PCO already so if you have any questions...feel free to contact me! (pm)

Im thinkin the same thing as you ocean blue, I wanna get out of my hometown as well only I live in houston so going to western U. in cali would be freakin awesome, everythings the damn same in houston, night lifes pretty good though compared to other citys so if anyones goin to UHCO ull have plent a things to do:cool:

Im thinkin the same thing as you ocean blue, I wanna get out of my hometown as well only I live in houston so going to western U. in cali would be freakin awesome, everythings the damn same in houston, night lifes pretty good though compared to other citys so if anyones goin to UHCO ull have plent a things to do:cool:

Socal is freaking awesome, but im excited to try something new-it'll just be fore 4 years.