Feedback Please. I want your opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shan1997

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Just wanted to find out the opinion from my fellow SDNers on the follwing question:

What would you say are some current health policy issues??? just curious on what people have to say.

Members don't see this ad.

medicare.. search the NY times for articles and you will get 49508273498562 in the last week...
seriously tho, i talked about that in one of my secondary essays, i think its really important, we will all be old one day! :D

i would like to hear some others as well... thoughts?

any other responses??? Give me a couple more, lol

Members don't see this ad :)
there are a bunch of threads on this, but if you want some general topics:

medicare as a government price setter
medicare and its financial sustainability (see baby boomers)
medicare as a massive government entitlement
anything else related to medicare

managed care and physician autonomy/reimbursement

pharmaceutical drugs - rising costs, new medicare drug benefit, research and development, advertising and marketing (ethical considerations)

specialty providers (hospitals, surgery centers, anything with physician investors) & self-referral

obesity crisis, threat of a diabetic generation vs. fast food culture and politics - the intersection of social and nutritional issues

the pending retirement of baby boomers and the pressures it will place on the health care system

management of chronic conditions (sig. problem for medicare now, will become bigger as baby boomers retire)

underutilization and availability of preventative care, general focus of medicine on reaction to acute injury rather than whole-health

private structures for health care - tax-free health savings accounts, encouragement of PPO's/HMO's (see medicare drug bill)

In addition to the ones already mentioned:

Rising # of the uninsured!!

The cost of malpractice insurance and its effects on patients and healthcare professionals. (doctors changing specialties, leaving medicine, patients losinng their doctors).

thanks for the responses. Does topics such as: lack of rural MD's and the whole situation with unisured children count??