Feeding Therapy Video Making Rounds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BehaviorPsychIsCool

Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone seen the feeding therapy video making rounds? It is a video of a child undergoing escape extinction at a hospital-based center, and the anti-ABA camp has latched on to the video, reporting it to news stations. To be fair, the video is definitely not a good look, as the child is under a lot of distress (thankfully he was pulled from therapy), and appears to have a cut. However, on a related note, I am concerned for the image of the therapists and the protections of extern students and interns as they move forward in their careers; as well as the need for ongoing, effective, in vivo supervision when working on tough cases!

Also, how do we, as a discipline, address these events while protecting the patient and family?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Has anyone seen the feeding therapy video making rounds? It is a video of a child undergoing escape extinction at a hospital-based center, and the anti-ABA camp has latched on to the video, reporting it to news stations. To be fair, the video is definitely not a good look, as the child is under a lot of distress (thankfully he was pulled from therapy), and appears to have a cut. However, on a related note, I am concerned for the image of the therapists and the protections of extern students and interns as they move forward in their careers; as well as the need for ongoing, effective, in vivo supervision when working on tough cases!

Also, how do we, as a discipline, address these events while protecting the patient and family?
Do you have a link to the video?

Replying from my phone- so I’m unsure if I sent via message or not. I will refrain from posting in this thread, but I can send via private message.

Members don't see this ad :)
Replying from my phone- so I’m unsure if I sent via message or not. I will refrain from posting in this thread, but I can send via private message.

Send me vid too or post it bro we wanna see what you’re talking about

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, I will send to those who request. As I mentioned, I do not want to post publicly out of protection for both the patient and institution. Although the video is from a public facebook video, I want to refrain from having yet another very public place where the video is posted. Thanks!

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Thanks for messaging the link to the video. I respect your decision to not post it here in deference to the confidentiality of the client and clinicians. For those of you who haven't seen it, here's a summary- It is a minute-long video in which a small child (hard to tell for me from the video, but maybe somewhere between 4-6 years old) who is seated in a chair at a table is mechanically and physically restrained while 1 adult holds a cup to his mouth (this adult is wearing rubber gloves as well as what appear to be bite guard on her forearms. A second gloved adult appears to be restraining his arms and head. A gloved hand of another person appears briefly on the table, and it seems that another person is filming. They appear to attempting to get the child to ingest whatever is in the cup. I looks more like an escape-extinction procedure, where the cup is held to the child's mouth until he ingests whatever is in it, though at times it's hard to tell whether or not they are trying to pour the contents into his mouth as the cup and the child are obscured by the adult holding the cup. A beeping sound (timer?) can be heard as some point. The child is very upset, thrashing his head side-to-side and screaming "help." The video ends with the adults releasing their physical restraint and putting the cup down on the table (the child is still mechanically restrained to the chair) . The video closes in on the child, who wipes his mouth and continues to cry. His cheeks are either flushed/red, and maybe slightly scratched. An adult can be heard mentioning that the boy has cut (though i couldn't see one).

The video comes from a facebook post. The facebook account name is very similar to the name of the clinic where this purportedly took place. The owner of the account and poster of the video identifies herself as the mother of the child. She says he was making progress at another feeding clinic, but had to stop treatment there and was referred to this clinic. I did not see anyhwere on the facebook page where she used her name, but she does reference the boy by his first name. She indicates that the video depicts her son's 9th session at the clinic. She says she was outside the room and heard the child yelling for help, so she entered the room and began videotaping. She goes on to say that she has since removed the child from this clinic, and is looking for help in disseminating the video to news agencies. She claims that she has met resistance and attributes it in part to the people being afraid to speak out against this well-known program. The program in question is one of the pre-eminent treatment and training sites in the world for pediatric feeding disorders and is a source for much of the research literature on this topic, as well as other ABA treatments. On the facebook page, she references a clinician/research who is perhaps the most well known researcher in feeding disorders.

I'm going to think more about my "clinical" response and perhaps reply later, but emotionally, it's a tough video to watch. The child appears to be experiencing a high degree of emotional and physical distress, and may, in fact, have been experienced a minor physical injury. It just doesn't look good. Coincidentally, i need to go review my lecture and presentation for the ethics and ABA summer session course I begin teaching tonight.

As someone not trained in ABA and definitely not feeding disorder treatment, what would have been the clinically appropriate response to the child's distress? Seems like a really tricky situation because it's exposure work.

As someone not trained in ABA and definitely not feeding disorder treatment, what would have been the clinically appropriate response to the child's distress? Seems like a really tricky situation because it's exposure work.

Answering that question accurately requires more information than we have from just the video, so I'm just going to speak in general about escape extinction type programs for treating food refusal. The response to the "distress" ultimately should depend on the function of the behavior. I'm not an expert in this type of therapy (I've use some "spoon non-removal with kiddos with who did not show even remotely close the negative response shown in this video), so what follows is a basic summary of some published work in the area, such as the following (which can be accessed at Archive of "Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis".

Functional Analysis and Treatment of Multiply Controlled Inappropriate Mealtime Behavior
Bachmeyer, Melanie H.; Piazza, Cathleen C.; Fredrick, Laura D.; Reed, Gregory K.; Rivas, Kristi D.; Kadey, Heather J.
Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, v42 n3 p641-658 Fall 2009

Basically, if attention is found to be a reinforcer for food refusal (which, it often is, in combination with escape from food or food presentation), then withholding attention to negative behaviors combined with NOT removing food presentation can lead to increases in food acceptance and decreases in negative behaviors. Note that in the referenced article above and similar published research, full treatment effects seem to take place after tens of sessions (e.g. not immediately). Providing attention generally led to high and stable rates of the negative behaviors.

(I feel remiss if I don't point out that one of the authors in the study i referenced is identified on the facebook page as being in charge of the program from which the video originated)

Hi All,

These are complicated questions regarding a complex situation of which we only have limited information. Let's assume that the video is of an actual attention extinction/escape-extinction (AE-EE) procedure (which it does seem to be). It's a pretty invasive procedure, with a non-trivial risk of at least physical harm to all participants, as well as a strong potential for "emotional harm" as well (to child, obviously, but also to the therapists). AE-EE has been shown to be an effective treatment for food refusal and associated negative behaviors in numerous peer-reviewed studies. In order to say that it's ethically appropriate in this specific case, I'd need a whole lot more information, such as:

-What, specifically, is the focus of treatment? (e.g., food refusal? over selectivity?) Has this been operationalized? Are there reliable measures of it?
-Has there been a thorough assessment, including medical, psychological, and family history?
-How severe is the problem? (e.g., what the child's body weight to height percentile?)
-Has a functional analysis/assessment been conducted?
-Have less intrusive procedures been attempted and found unsuccessful, or ruled out? (e.g., because they are too slow acting given the severity of the problem ?)
-What are the risks of non-intervention? (e.g., more invasive/surgical procedures- such as g-tube, with significant negative side-effects)
-Has real INFORMED consent been given, with an accurate description of the specifics of the procedure, as well as the risks/benefits of other procedures, including doing nothing at all?
-Is there an appropriate IRB, peer review, and human rights committee that reviews such programs?
-Is there appropriate interdisciplinary oversight, including by an appropriately trained physician and nutritionist?
-Are there clear and realistic safety protocols in place to address any medical emergencies?
-Are there systems in place to identify, monitor, and address any deleterious emotional side-effects of the
-Are the staff adequately trained to competency with such procedures?
-Do the staff receive adequate supervision, including peer supervision and consultation if they are higher-level independently licensed clinical staff
-Are there specific written protocols, with appropriate measures of treatment integrity?
-Are there ongoing and adequate measures of the client's progress with the treatment and are these reviewed thoroughly and compared with typical or expected patterns of response?
-Are there regular measures of the social validity of the procedure? Are these done with all appropriate stakeholders?
-Are these reactions extreme for this particular child? Does he react similarly to less intrusive interventions or events?
-Does he quickly return to "baseline" affect and disposition once the treatment is terminated?
-Are there procedures in place to address any negative effects of the treatment on significant stakeholders? On the therapists?

I think that, as a discipline, we need to recognized that there are often issues with treatment that require appropriate and ongoing input from people outside of the discipline, including current and former clients, their caregivers, and representatives from their communities. If the info on the facebook page is true (and I just don't know what is or isn't- some of it seems a little questionable) then this parent either did not know what she was consenting too, did not understand the risks/benefits of the treatment, and may have felt like she had no other choice (e.g., existing services at another clinic were being terminated). None of that is acceptable, and if any of it could've been anticipated, she should have been provided resources to help her make truly informed consent, including access to objective and knowledgeable third parties not affiliated with the treating facility.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sure the background of the case would be informative and enlightening, as well as descriptions of his behaviors, impairments, and health status. I trust no practitioner or agency would resort to this without cause. I'm sure this cannot be ethically shared, however??? right?

It's not my area (at all) and I have 3 healthy children (albeit all picky eaters). This would be hard for me to stand even if not so, though. My son had to have an IV years ago, and I wanted to punch the nurse who took 3 tries to get his vain for that procedure due to his reaction and pain. Can't imagine how I would tolerate this.

Last edited:
I'm sure the background of the case would be informative and enlightening, as well as descriptions of his behaviors, impairments, and health status. I trust no practitioner or agency would resort to this without cause. I'm sure this cannot be ethically shared, however??? right?
Certainly not by any practitioner subject to any ethic's code I've ever seen. However, the video snippet was purportedly shared by the child's mother. i guess my previous post was my long winded way of saying that i couldn't really give an informed reaction to the video without much more info.

It's not my area (at all) and I have 3 healthy children (albeit all picky eaters). This would be hard for me to stand even if not so, though. My son had to have an IV years ago, and I wanted to punch the nurse who took 3 tries to get his vain for that procedure due to his reaction and pain. Can't imagine how I would tolerate this.

I don't know that i could do that type of treatment either. That kiddo was yelling "help!" I've worked in some rehab setting where I assisted with non-compliant (and adjudicated) adult patients, and that was rough. Couldn't imagine doing it with little kiddos.

Requesting the link to the video as well... Thanks.