Feel bad, what do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

super1122

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
would like some advice.

I have a friend who's taken the mcat 3x now, scoring 24,25,24. I went to undergrad with this person and the reason I know their scores is because I used their Kaplan account for a period of time a while ago, so I had access to their account. (Kaplan account same as mcat score report site). I noticed some time ago that in their preparation for the MCAT, they have only been using the Kaplan tests, so I assume they don't know that the aamc tests exist. So they've taken the mcat 3x without taking any of the official aamc practice tests. They have a near 4.0 gpa, but seems to be oblivious to the mcat/application process. The mcat is a touchy subject between us two, so I try not to bring it up, but how should I let them know about the aamc exams without tipping them off that I had access to their account?? Just casually ask them or tell them? also! they are scheduled to retake the test in 6 days, after receiving their 3rd score a couple days ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Tell him that he is absolutely ruining his chances of getting into a med school with so many retakes. You don't need to mention scores, but obviously if he keeps retaking it he's doing poorly, which you can just intuit. He's already taken it 3 times with essentially no improvement, a 4th time at that same score is nuts. Tell him he needs to delay his MCAT, take the real AAMC practice tests, and maybe try a different study strategy too.

Reactions: 3 users
At this point, they should be aware that their score needs to improve substantially. You can be direct about the AAMC tests without bringing up the Kaplan account stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you need to tell him to stop doing what he's doing. It's not demonstrating good judgement on his part and will likely end up with his not getting into medical school. You don't NEED to tell him you saw his scores. Just ignore it. The AAMC's are widely known as a resource.

Reactions: 1 user
Just casually say something like, "hey, have you done any of those AAMC practice tests? i heard they are similar to the real thing/i thought they were really helpful"

I find it a little concerning that you were snooping in their AAMC stuff, but that's besides the point...It's nice that you want to help him out, and hopefully you can get him to rethink the retake, but taking the exam 3 times with no improvement and scheduling a retake so soon after getting the 3rd score shows an extreme lack of judgement that is very unbecoming in a doctor. It doesn't matter if you have a 4.0. If you're clueless to the system and make bad judgement call after bad judgement call, imagine what he'll do when taking care of patients...

Reactions: 1 users
They are not aware that I know they are taking it for fourth time. All I "should" know is that they retook it 3x, with the last being on August 1. So I feel that bringing up anything mcat related will not come across well. Maybe I can send them an email anonymously including the free aamc 3?

They are not aware that I know they are taking it for fourth time. All I "should" know is that they retook it 3x, with the last being on August 1. So I feel that bringing up anything mcat related will not come across well. Maybe I can send them an email anonymously including the free aamc 3?

If you're a close friend, you can still casually talk about it until they bring it up. If they never bring it up or you're not close friends, just let them be. They will find out the hard way.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're a close friend, you can still casually talk about it until they bring it up. If they never bring it up or you're not close friends, just let them be. They will find out the hard way.

Agree with this. Not everyone who wants to be a doctor will/should become one.

Reactions: 3 users