Feel like ****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thyr0id

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started med school this week and so far I've been feeling like complete ****. I feel like there is so much damn information given per week and I already feel behind.

I have no idea how I'm going to keep up with anatomy. I have a progress anatomy quiz weekly, and lecture progress quizzes weekly as well. I just have no idea where to start and it's already Thursday.

Does anyone have any advice? Am I being to hard on myself this first week. **** I already feel like quitting after a few days, I feel like I try to study something but I can't focus because I'm worried about all the other info I need to study.

Please halp.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a very normal feeling, you are okay!

I recommend seeing what learning center/study tips/ (I don't think you need tutoring yet) opportunities that you school offers. I recommend writing everything you want/need done on one giant sheet of paper. Then break it all down into bite sized pieces. After you break it all down, it will help with your stress level by visually seeing how it can all be managed.

For example, you mentioned your anatomy quizzes and lecture progress quizzes. I'm not familiar with those (they weren't at my school), so I would pick the one that is due the closest. See what the quiz is over, see what lectures it covers, and then start from there. Ignore the other things for right now, focus on that quiz. After you checked to see what topics are on the quiz, you can review your lectures and if you didn't understand the concept in your lecture - you can try the supplemental things next. Like, BRS, just youtube-ing the topics, seeing what the summary is in first aid.

To help you focus, it's more of you convincing yourself that things will be okay than what we can tell you. Try some deep breathing exercises, go for a quick 5 minute walk, or try positive thing "I can do this, I know I can do this, etc".

Reactions: 2 users
This is a very normal feeling. Ask for study technique guidance and keep grinding. Statistically speaking you are almost guaranteed to be physically capable of passing

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I started med school this week and so far I've been feeling like complete ****. I feel like there is so much damn information given per week and I already feel behind.

I have no idea how I'm going to keep up with anatomy. I have a progress anatomy quiz weekly, and lecture progress quizzes weekly as well. I just have no idea where to start and it's already Thursday.

Does anyone have any advice? Am I being to hard on myself this first week. **** I already feel like quitting after a few days, I feel like I try to study something but I can't focus because I'm worried about all the other info I need to study.

Please halp.
Read this:
Goro's Guide to Success in Medical School (2017 edition)

Thanks goro I'll give it a try.

Your anxiety about this is probably making it worse for you. Take a deep breath and remember that you are in a very privileged position that thousands of people wish to be in. Out of all of them, you were chosen for a reason . You can do this! Next, reach out to your faculty, your second year mentor if you have one, your advisor, and your academic development office. They have a ton of resources. Statistically speaking the biggest hurdle for you at this point was actually getting into medical school. Now that you're in, there are lots of people that are committed to your success. Take advantage. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Completely normal. I felt that way as well. You just put in the work and you are going to be OK.

I am sure many of your classmates feel the same way as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm right there with you, so don't think you're alone!

Completely normal. I felt that way as well. You just put in the work and you are going to be OK.

I am sure many of your classmates feel the same way as well.
I've been putting in some serious work. It feels good to study anatomy and all that jazz again. I appreciate the words man.

Please halp.
If you did not feel that way, people would think there is something wrong with you... It's normal!

If it makes you feel any better, you'll likely get better and faster at comprehending and storing information before you even realize it. The amount of material doesn't ever get any better, but you do. Keep at it bro!

Warning: there is a lot of text here

One piece of advice I valued greatly from other medical students at my school was to focus on one thing at a time, and to ignore what other people are studying. In anatomy, if I was focusing on GI anatomy and others were focusing on thorax or renal, I would freak out and become anxious thinking that I needed to study what they were studying. Fact is that everybody does things differently and while it is important to share things with classmates, there's a certain aspect of keeping to yourself that can be useful (IMO).

With the volume of information, it's impossible to learn it all in one day. Be proactive and when you're trying to get a good grounding, you should aim to review what you learned that day.

My method of studying was to go to lecture, write an outline while in lecture (pass 1- this first pass would be incredibly useful for organizing things in my head like a concept map so that the subsequent steps would be more detail filling rather than memorizing random unrelated facts). Would usually do this 8/9-12, and then eat lunch w/ friends after lecture from 12-12:30. After that I would use my outlines and make anki flashcards (pass 2). Then, I would do those anki cards that I made (usually pass 3 and 4) in 1 day. Between 4:30-6, I would eat/workout for 45 mins. I wouldn't get all the lectures in one day, but I would usually get through 2.5-3 in a day and would be in bed by 12 and wake up at 7/730 the next day. My catchup day would be Friday afternoon and Saturday with Sunday being a more chill day (esp in the fall watching football). Usually by Sunday, I would be caught up.

The catch with it is at the beginning of a block, the # of lectures/day I would get through might be a bit less (2.5/4 lectures) because anki is more demanding at the beginning of the block as you go through the cards the first few times. The benefit is that once my cards are made, my "studying" is literally going through the cards that are due that day along with the new ones (so I wouldn't have to study for 8-10 hours on weekends).

As for anatomy, it's a beast that requires sheer memorization. This was the only class I previewed for and that too, only the lab section. I would watch NetAnatomy and make Anki cards for that based on the lab list that I have. If I had any questions/need clarification, I would usually check out ClinicalAnatomy or Grey's in the library for a hot second and figure out what I needed to (key here isn't to memorize the drawing, just get a vague idea of what you should see where). Lab was always a ****show. I hated dissecting and had 2 surgery gunning lab members who dissected, so I bounced around from table to table trying to identify things if there was a break in the action. Get a group of 2-3 people including yourself and go in on weekends for an hour or two max and review what you learned that week. If your professors/TA's have review sessions the week or two leading up to your exam, GO TO THEM!!! They will typically review high yield things that will pop up on exams.

I know there's a LOT in this but feel free to PM me if you have q's! I was in a very similar boat with you and my performance suffered for the first block of anatomy/physiology but once I got in the groove, I did a solid 15-20% better on exams.

Reactions: 3 users
completely normal feeling. Stick through it. learn only what is important although in the beginning, it is hard to understand what is essential. For this it helps to concentrate on what your lecturer focuses on. For anatomy (and as far as I am concerned for all classes) take advantage of youtube and other video lecture services (I personally use and used lecturio and I love it).

A quick read or a video before a class helps a lot! do it!

I can't emphasize enough about being super picky about what you learn and memorize. The reference books are often so full of fluff that it consumes all of your time.

Develop your learning style and perfect it. review a **** ton (try spaced repetition programs like anki or organize it on your own).

Finally, relax, med school is hard but you will get used to it. Don't neglet your social life and your health.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's normal. Now work your ass off.

Please halp.
Totally normal. Your brain will adjust. You just aren't used to the firehose yet.

You're almost certainly in a better position than you feel. First few weeks of first year is a major adjustment period.

If you don't do great on your first written and practical exams, come back for more advice and talk to an academic advisor. But you're likely going to do fine! Good luck

Haven't even started first week of classes but our orientation has been a whirlwind of...a lot of things. I left my home at 6:30am today and got home at 7:30pm. I can tell this year is going to be a wild ride. Buckle up gentlemen/women

Haven't even started first week of classes but our orientation has been a whirlwind of...a lot of things. I left my home at 6:30am today and got home at 7:30pm. I can tell this year is going to be a wild ride. Buckle up gentlemen/women

+1.... Orientation is already freaking me out (more than I expected) and reading this post makes me realize why. Thank You to all those reaching out to support... there will be more of us asking for your help real soon :D.

You guys will all adapt! Trust me. It get's harder, but you get better studying and managing your time as well.

Also do NOT let your health go and try to find a little time for hobbies during the week. Mindset is essential in staying positive and believing you can get through it.

To be fair, hang in there, my friend. We've all done it and you're not exception; you'll get it done.

First week down, and I visited my family for the weekend. Going to hit the library to get some studying done and attempt to not be so stressed out :)

SO far I've already studied for my anatomy "quiz" (not really graded) on monday, and feel like I got it down. I re-listented 3 lectures on the ride home, memorized and reviewed previous lectures powerpoints and our LOs (learning objectives that drive the powerpoint information) and now im heading out to the library to study more anatomy and review lectures/histology.

We shall see how the year goes

Last edited:
Question for y'all.

How much studying are you guys doing daily and on weekends? I'm trying to do more studying during the week so when I come home on the weekends I can relax and enjoy family time with minimal studying. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sounds like we probably go to the same school. A whole week off orientation just leads me to believe content will be crammed in that we otherwise could have been a few days into by now. Oh well!

By the 3rd day of orientation (Ours was only 3 days), I was begging for classes to begin. It was PAINFUL.

Wholeheartedly agree. Fortunately, years of death by PowerPoint have given me endurance when it comes to such trivial days. But that doesn't make them any more enjoyable.

It's pretty weak to get amped up for med school and get in the right mindset just to be numbed by hours and hours of non-medically related material.

Suck it up. Remember that there are people in other parts of the world who would kill to be in your position. You're having a 1st world problem. Yes it's a lot of info, yeah it's going to suck, but this is what you signed up for.

Suck it up. Remember that there are people in other parts of the world who would kill to be in your position. You're having a 1st world problem. Yes it's a lot of info, yeah it's going to suck, but this is what you signed up for.

Sorry, you're right. Everything's amazing and medical school is incredible and wonderful and I can't believe I've been given this opportunity (because I didn't work for it) to be among the chosen disciples of healing!

Praise be that I have a roof over my head, food on the table, and a laptop loaded to the brim with PowerPoint slides!

If you want to shame people for being negative, I suggest you go try the anesthesia or emergency med forums. They'll teach you that it's ok to be jaded.

Seriously? Do we need more people with a chip on their shoulder harping about "first world problems" just because they didn't get into medical school, dental school, or podiatry school yet? I think you need to take your own advice brah...

Reactions: 7 users
I suggest you go try the anesthesia or emergency med forums. They'll teach you that it's ok to be jaded.
Or the pathology forums...or the radonc forums... or the general surgery, ophtho, IM, OB, Pain forums...

Yeah, any of those will do

Or the pathology forums...or the radonc forums... or the general surgery, ophtho, IM, OB, Pain forums...

Yeah, any of those will do

Good point. I used those two examples specifically because they are the two I'm most familiar with. But yes, jade is a common side effect of being in medicine, and it's pretty much ubiquitous to some extent.

We're all there with you OP; we got this!

The first couple days, I seriously felt like I didn't belong in medical school. I'm not saying I have things figured out after a week (I definitely don't :rofl:) but idk, after talking to a handful of second years and fellow first years, I realized I wasn't alone and we are all going to figure this out.

Talk to some second years OP! And don't be afraid to open up to your peers, they are probably experiencing the same existential crises as you :D

I found that not thinking about how I'm going to get it all done helps beyond getting initially organized. Make an extensive checklist of everything you need to do, break it up into an even number of items everyday.

Monday: 4 lectures, make study guides for those lectures.
Tuesday: Attend lecture, make study guides for two of them, do that one assignment, pay my bills, study anatomy in the anatomy lab two hours.

Break it up and spread it out with the remaining time you have left. Earlier you start, the better. You procrastinate too much, you end up doing 16 hours of work for like a week straight and that is miserable when it could have been 10-12 hours

If it is a tiny anatomy quiz on not a lot of information, I tend to only study the night before.

I also triage. Something worth 1% of your grade that is extremely time consuming is not going to get the focus that 40% exam is getting. I'll do my best on the little one but I won't sacrifice a full day or something.

myself and only a few others literally exposed the entire length of someone's posterior trunk and upper arms with our barehands and a couple of sharp tools on the first day of medical school classes. Took nearly four hours.
This is going to be...quite the journey :nod:

Last edited:
People looked like hell our first week of tests/practicals. By the end of the year test day was just another day for most. You will adjust, or you won't. Best not worry about it.

OP, I am one of your classmates and I definitely think it will get better for you. I felt the same way last week as well and already feel like it's getting better. Sure it'll be hard, but we have resources here that will help. We did just get an email today about the Student Success Center. I plan on checking it out. Good luck!

OP, I am one of your classmates and I definitely think it will get better for you. I felt the same way last week as well and already feel like it's getting better. Sure it'll be hard, but we have resources here that will help. We did just get an email today about the Student Success Center. I plan on checking it out. Good luck!

Hey y'all! Another classmate here (now to figuring out who you guys are hehehe).

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, but I think realizing it is part of the process is what is helping me get through it. I also take a lot of breaks to do stuff that makes me happy. I'm a non-traditional student (are you OP?) so I've had to ease back into things. I'm reviewing a lot more of background info than say my group members are so am a bit behind (always...), but that's ok.

We are here to pass and become doctors, not be in the top 10% of our class (or at least I'm not gunning for it). Reach out to your classmates. People share resources at this school like crazy, which is super nice. And if you feel like venting, send me a message and I'll reveal my true identity :) We can always meet up and vent together!

Hey y'all! Another classmate here (now to figuring out who you guys are hehehe).

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, but I think realizing it is part of the process is what is helping me get through it. I also take a lot of breaks to do stuff that makes me happy. I'm a non-traditional student (are you OP?) so I've had to ease back into things. I'm reviewing a lot more of background info than say my group members are so am a bit behind (always...), but that's ok.

We are here to pass and become doctors, not be in the top 10% of our class (or at least I'm not gunning for it). Reach out to your classmates. People share resources at this school like crazy, which is super nice. And if you feel like venting, send me a message and I'll reveal my true identity :) We can always meet up and vent together!
lol you guys are all at UNECOM? Let's start a group chat?

I found that not thinking about how I'm going to get it all done helps beyond getting initially organized. Make an extensive checklist of everything you need to do, break it up into an even number of items everyday.

Monday: 4 lectures, make study guides for those lectures.
Tuesday: Attend lecture, make study guides for two of them, do that one assignment, pay my bills, study anatomy in the anatomy lab two hours.

Break it up and spread it out with the remaining time you have left. Earlier you start, the better. You procrastinate too much, you end up doing 16 hours of work for like a week straight and that is miserable when it could have been 10-12 hours

If it is a tiny anatomy quiz on not a lot of information, I tend to only study the night before.

I also triage. Something worth 1% of your grade that is extremely time consuming is not going to get the focus that 40% exam is getting. I'll do my best on the little one but I won't sacrifice a full day or something.
This is actually what I've been doing, feel good so far. Usually 4-6 hours of studying daily, mainly anatomy and OMT stuff, with some lecture study guides. I find the lecture stuff sticking pretty well now. Anyway that's my update. Seem to be going good so far.

Right there with you, OP. We all gonna make it

relax everybody feels this way in the beginning. Concentrate on studying the important stuff and concentrate less on details. I would say go for more concise resources and really hone in on what was mentioned in the lecture. you will be a lot better off if you can manage to review the main concepts instead of trying to learn everything with all the little details with no review

Know that everyone in your class, if not every med student across the country, is feeling the same way. Keep running and don't look back. Remember, even if we graduate at the bottom of our class, we'll still be a doctor! We got this!

Know that everyone in your class, if not every med student across the country, is feeling the same way. Keep running and don't look back. Remember, even if we graduate at the bottom of our class, we'll still be a doctor! We got this!

It will fly by...pretty soon you will be an old fart like me in his last year of fellowship. Just keep putting in the work and good things will happen.

It will fly by...pretty soon you will be an old fart like me in his last year of fellowship. Just keep putting in the work and good things will happen.

You are my inspiration.

Please halp.

It's rough. Think of it as intellectual/emotional boot camp. I wanted to quit for the 1st month (and as a former physical therapist I had already experienced anatomy with dissection and had a solid foundation). Take a deep breath and take it day by day. If you need help (counseling and/or pharmocologic) then get it. I know a significant chunk of people in my class did.