Feel like the odd one out, even by non-trad standards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joannavr

Customer Disservice
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble figuring out where I fit in on these boards. I am a premed, like pretty much everyone here, and my concerns are similar to everyone elses because of that. BUT I am too old for the "pre-allo" or "DO" forums because I am 26 and didn't go to college right out of highschool.

It seems like more and more though I dont feel like nontrad is right for me either. Am I the only one here who just never went to college at all after high school? Everyone seems to have a BS in whatever already and they're just rethinking.

Sigh I guess I have a slight advantage, knowing how much my grades will matter when beginning the process instead of doing damage control afterwards, but I feel very alone in my circumstances.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're preallo. I don't think there's an age requirement.

I am having trouble figuring out where I fit in on these boards. I am a premed, like pretty much everyone here, and my concerns are similar to everyone elses because of that. BUT I am too old for the "pre-allo" or "DO" forums because I am 26 and didn't go to college right out of highschool.

It seems like more and more though I dont feel like nontrad is right for me either. Am I the only one here who just never went to college at all after high school? Everyone seems to have a BS in whatever already and they're just rethinking.

Sigh I guess I have a slight advantage, knowing how much my grades will matter when beginning the process instead of doing damage control afterwards, but I feel very alone in my circumstances.

And where did you get that? In fact, you are barely non-trad because the average age of med school applicants these days is pushing upwards to 25. When I apply, I will likely be the same age as you are now. And for the reference, look here: ~NonTraditionals~: Ages. That will teach you. We have some people applying when they are in their 30s, 40s, and even 50s. It's not your age that matters, but your goals.

Members don't see this ad :)

Being non-trad is not only about age but about your journey to medical school. You didn't go the "traditional" route to medical school which is high school>undergrad>medical school without anything between. Your non-trad because you took the scenic route so to speak. I'm 28 and very non-trad. Pre-allo and Pre-Osteo are basically for the pathway you plan to take for medical school and nothing to do with age. There are individuals who are young and older in both forums.

And where did you get that? In fact, you are barely non-trad because the average age of med school applicants these days is pushing upwards to 25. When I apply, I will likely be the same age as you are now. And for the reference, look here: ~NonTraditionals~: Ages. That will teach you. We have some people applying when they are in their 30s, 40s, and even 50s. It's not your age that matters, but your goals.

heh I dont think I explained myself very well. I am finishing up my first year of undergrad right now. I wont be starting medical school until 30, if I can afford to keep at it full time until then. :)

Hah. This is the best definition of trad vs. non-trad yet.

Non-trads will admit they feel like the odd one out because they're no longer crippled by high school sociopathology. Trads won't admit it (except for hyper-neurotic, narcissistic and/or attention-***** reasons).

Here's what I say: You should follow noone's timeline but YOUR OWN. Yes, you have some unusual circumstances, as most non-traditionals do, but use that complexity to your advantage. I'm 28 years old by the way, on a journey that's been filled with detours, stop signs, and speed bumps, BUT I'm finding my way with every clinical and research experience, each night that I sit down to study this DAMN MCAT (lol), and everytime a first year medical student crosses my path. Find and keep your inspiration and don't let anyone limit your vision...(does anyone hear the violins playing in the background?)

P.s. - do your research, SDN is a great place to start.:)

Welcome, and good luck! You'll fit in this board just fine. (And probably find it on of the calmer, better adjusted boards, too ;))

heh I dont think I explained myself very well. I am finishing up my first year of undergrad right now. I wont be starting medical school until 30, if I can afford to keep at it full time until then. :)

As I said, look at that thread. There are a lot of people in their 30s. There are also 40s and some 50s. And remember: however bad you think your situation is, you can always find someone even in worse situation, especially on a large forum like SDN. You may think your age is a huge issue, but the real issue is when a student has very bad scores. This is much more difficult to overcome than age. Since you have another three years of undergrad, that's actually great. You have found this forum just in time. Make sure you peruse everything here, especially in the Pre-Allo forum. Use the search function and post questions. If you get all the information, you can possibly become a very strong candidate in three years. Some of us maybe younger, but we found this thread after the damage was already done to our records. So use your stay on SDN to your advantage.

I knowing that there are a lot of us non-trads out there and I'm pretty sure when you get to medical school you won't feel like the odd one at all. :):)

Everyone seems to have a BS in whatever already and they're just rethinking.

In many ways you're in a better position than most of us were. You're starting with a blank slate already knowing where you want to be in 4 years.

Many of us figured out what we wanted and had to dig ourselves out of the hole of our youthful indiscretion or unforeseen circumstance.

So in a lot of ways I envy your position.

Don't feel like you have to fit in to anyone's model, even a so-called "nontrad" one. You'll find that even amongst the traditionals, there are unique journeys. Just keep your eye on each step in the process and try to have fun while you're at it.

GOOD LUCK! I'll be rooting for you.

In many ways you're in a better position than most of us were. You're starting with a blank slate already knowing where you want to be in 4 years.

Many of us figured out what we wanted and had to dig ourselves out of the hole of our youthful indiscretion or unforeseen circumstance.

So in a lot of ways I envy your position.

Don't feel like you have to fit in to anyone's model, even a so-called "nontrad" one. You'll find that even amongst the traditionals, there are unique journeys. Just keep your eye on each step in the process and try to have fun while you're at it.

GOOD LUCK! I'll be rooting for you.

UHmm NO!!! I ENVY YOUUUUUUU!!! Mr. 5 acceptances.:cool::cool: